Newbie modder with Inova questions:

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
I'm fairly new to modding electronic things, and figured I'd start with an Inova mod since they seem to be fairly straightforward once you get them open. The host will be a TIROS Inova T2 that while serviceable at the time, has been eclipsed by my modded Gladius, and hasn't seen any use in close to 2 years. I like the slim form factor, and would like to make it bright enough to put it back into service as a backup.

I though I saw a walkthrough with pictures at one time, but I can't find it. If my questions would more easily be answered by linking that thread for me, I'd appreciate it.

As far as the mod goes, how does one pick what LED is going in? I know the TIROS is more designed for throw than spill, so making it a long running emergency light doesn't make sense. I'd like to have it put out as much light as possible for around an hour. If the lumen output maxes out with a longer run-time, that's fine too. I don't want to make a fun toy or proof of concept lightsaber that won't have any real-world utility--that will be for future mods. ;) A long-throwing bright flashlight that's easy to keep tucked in my grab-bag is what I'm aiming for.

I'm in my second cycle of freeze-pop, and hope to get it apart by tomorrow. Is getting the old LED out and the new one in fairly easy?

-Lawhund

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, its not a simple emitter swap
else the led, or the driver or both will be damaged after freeze-pop
with a bit of additional unluck, the dome of the led will come off and be stuck inside the tiros
(all of that happened to my freeze-pops and at about 50 % of them, everything alltogether)

(when openend have the parts lie around for at least one day to dry and show "problems" --> f.e. one suddenly has a "pop" and does not know what it was --> the inductor really popped and spread its parts around the table. Happend last week (again) with a T3 I opened.
Or get a Q-tip and wipe off every part. If something is broke, it will show then)

PS. I do not understand all those cheers for the Trios. :thinking:
Imho the beam from it is so ringy - all the "Cree-Rings whitewall hunters" would get a heart attack instantly
skip that thing, put in a good reflector and use the lengh You win, for inserting something that is a real heatsink and an additional battery
(my T1s are modded for 18650, the T3 will house 2 18500 and a MC-E in short, hopefully)