so long ex-10, hello lf3xt

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
i lost my ex-10 at work, actually i remember exactly where i set it down and it wasn't there when i came back for it. i asked everyone if they'd seen it and everyone said "no", so evidently it floated away... anyway in searching for a new edc here on the forums i stumbled across the liteflux lf3xt. i just ordered it 5 minutes ago and i can't wait for delivery! i almost ordered another ex-10 but after reading what others were saying about the liteflux i decided to go with it.

just wondering what people are using for re-chargeables in it?

notsobrite

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
i lost my ex-10 at work, actually i remember exactly where i set it down and it wasn't there when i came back for it. i asked everyone if they'd seen it and everyone said "no", so evidently it floated away... anyway in searching for a new edc here on the forums i stumbled across the liteflux lf3xt. i just ordered it 5 minutes ago and i can't wait for delivery! i almost ordered another ex-10 but after reading what others were saying about the liteflux i decided to go with it.
just wondering what people are using for re-chargeables in it? notsobrite

sorry to hear about the Nitecore EX, most non flash a holics would not know how to program it :shakehead or be able to buy $5.oo CR123 cells.

I EDC the EX 10 and have been noticing that Lf3xt. from what Ive read folks like it better. hope it works out for you, keep us posted.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one as well. I have been using either AW RCR123's (recommended) in my EX10, or the cheap Ultrafires. Watch out for the protected grey Trustfires, they are too long to work. I got some, and cut off the cover and removed the protection circuit and re-taped it up to use as a non-protected, which works but is a waste of money. The LF3XT has over-discharge protection, although it is defaulted to off when new, so you can more safely use a non-protected cell. The EX10 can discharge it to a level that can harm the cell. But if you are not totally strapped for cash, the AW's have been shown to work better, particularly at high outputs, and maintain their performance over time MUCH better.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't use rechargeables in mine, but as I understand from the manual, you can merely use what you want in the FL3XT, it can be programmed to a few types of rechargeables concerning the protection of the cell.

As for the flashlight, I don't own a Nitecore, I just love the Liteflux! The mechanical quality is nearly perfect, I just don't know how tight to screw the head, it doesn't really have a stop.

At first I thought they forgot to put in a lens, but there is one, if it ain't dirty, you just don't see it. The beam is nearly perfect, the best I have seen so far from a single CR123A. The programming may sound difficult, but if you have look on the thread about the light here, you'll find further informations and it is indeed quite easy, once you understand its logic.

The low is very low, though I would still want to have a little bit lower, I'm never happy as it seems... ;)

I'm sorry someone stole your EX10, I hope he must buy CR123A very expensive and can't use the light properly, but you'll be overwhelmed once you get it and you won't miss the Nitecore anymore, only the money you spent for it! :D

Greets,

Henk

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
Notsobrite,

sorry to hear you lost your toy. I know how it is when you lose something (knowing full well it's true value - both monitarily and in function), and then knowing that the person who now has it will never be able to appreciate it's complete value. (And that's not even mentioning the frustration you feel, knowing that some dirtbag probably stole it from you).

Anyhoo...I know it's too late now, but consider engraving your lites next time.

Myself, I engrave all my lights - which will also give me a good idea of it's metal quality and coating.

As an example, the SureFire 6P flashlight has an exceptional metal quality and finish. When I engrave on it, it comes out perfectly legible. Perfect! But when I engraved on my Fenix TK11, the finish flaked-off, and the metal was very linear and weird. It made the carbide tip skip around. (It was like a bicycle riding parralel to railroad tracks).

The TK11 (heavy and solid) is my favourite light right now. But I am also aware of it's chincy metal and finish.

OK, that's all.

Hope this helped

In Christ: Raymond

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry you lost your Ex-10. But it may be a blessing in disguise. Otherwise, you might have had trouble, as I did, justifying another light purchase. Let us know what you think, when you get your LF3XT. (In the unlikely event you are missing your EX10 after that, PM me. I have a couple of EX10's that are like new, just sitting around.)

Oh, I almost forgot. The AW rechargable 123's work great with this light.
Unlike the EX10, however, you can almost use any rechargable with the LF3XT.

Another trick, instead of engraving the light, is to insert a small piece of paper into the battery tube with your name and address on it. An honest person will return the light. A dishonest person won't care if it is engraved.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered an LF3XT as well. I like my EX10 but not automatically ramping up from minumum or down from maximum kind of bugs me sometimes. I think LiteFlux is really under rated. I have owned 4 and they are all well made and Khoo is great to deal with as well. I am really looking forward to the LF3XT.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened

thanks for the link, glenn7, and thanks everyone for the kind words about my loss. i like to think that most people are honest and wouldn't steal, but in this case i know that someone walked off with my light. maybe they needed it more than i do...

anyway- yaaay a new light is on it's way :) i ordered it from a place in ca. that i never heard of before- eliteled- and i got an email saying that it will ship tomorrow and i should have it before christmas so... double yaaay :)

i have a grey pair of trustfires that i ordered from dx that wouldn't fit my ex-10 so i'm hoping that they'll work in the new light. if not i'll use primaries till i can order some aw's.

thanks again,
notsobrite

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that you will have trouble using those TrustFires in the LF3XT. Since the battery stays in a fixed position in the LF3XT, unlike the battery in an EX10 where the battery travels to make contact as part of the switching process, you shouldn't have switching issues. If the battery is a bit long, the spring inside the battery tube of the LF3XT should compress and compensate for the difference.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
I doubt that you will have trouble using those TrustFires in the LF3XT. Since the battery stays in a fixed position in the LF3XT, unlike the battery in an EX10 where the battery travels to make contact as part of the switching process, you shouldn't have switching issues. If the battery is a bit long, the spring inside the battery tube of the LF3XT should compress and compensate for the difference.

thanks for the info, babydoc. i bought these batteries for the ex10 and since they didn't fit they've just been sitting in a drawer.

notsobrite

h2oflyer

Enlightened
I got a LF3XT after cancelling my pre-order for a RA Clicky.Allmost pulled the trigger on a EX10 - glad I didn't !!

I now use it in place of my NDI Silver as a work EDC. Don't need a clip - carry it in my pocket.

It was hard getting used to the electronic "clicky" but once you've got it you'll never look back.

UNBELIEVABLE value at $62US .

Sector7

Enlightened
Sorry for your lose, now you get to have a more advanced and flexible light. to me the only thing going for the EX10 is a nice clip and dumb UI for the non-flashaholic.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Sorry for your lose, now you get to have a more advanced and flexible light. to me the only thing going for the EX10 is a nice clip and dumb UI for the non-flashaholic.

Actually I thought the main attraction to the EX10 was that the UI was just good enough to be appreciated by flashaholics and not too complexed for non-flashaholics.

All I remember about the D10 and EX10 were the amount of hype they had before the release.

The threads that talked about them grew by 30 posts an hour. And I think it went to part 6 by the first week.

I like my EX10. The UI is not hard at all. It took me longer to put on the clip than to learn the UI.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I thought the main attraction to the EX10 was that the UI was just good enough to be appreciated by flashaholics and not too complexed for non-flashaholics.

All I remember about the D10 and EX10 were the amount of hype they had before the release.

The threads that talked about them grew by 30 posts an hour. And I think it went to part 6 by the first week.

I like my EX10. The UI is not hard at all. It took me longer to put on the clip than to learn the UI.

The interface on the EX10 is good, but NiteFlux made it better, not by making it more complex, but by fixing its faults. On top of that, for the guy who wants to customize his light, they give you the programmability that lets you make it as fancy or even more simple than the compact user interface (You can actually have a one mode, fixed output level light if that's all you want)

It is hard to recall another light with so much hype before its release and so many preorders than with the D10/EX10.. After its release, anybody complaining about the double presses for ramping, stiff or erratic switching, or the user mode memory getting lost after shortcut high and low, often got shot down as a troll or an idiot that didn't know what he was doing. The honeymoon with Ex10 is over for some people, and for those people, the LF3XT is a light worth considering.

I, too, like my EX10 even with its faults. I just like the LF3XT more.
It wouldn't have been enough for me had LiteFlux fixed the few quirks in the EX10 interface, or switching and just given me that. But what really sold me was the beautiful LiteFlux beam with no Q5 artifacts! IMO, the EX10 even with the GD plus emitter can't come close as far as beam quality. While I grant you that design of the interface makes or breaks a light, the quality of the light output itself is nearly as important. After all, what are you pushing the button for if it isn't to see pleasing light? When you have both, a great interface and a beautiful beam like you do with the LF3XT, you have a winner!

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
The interface on the EX10 is good, but NiteFlux made it better, not by making it more complex, but by fixing its faults. On top of that, for the guy who wants to customize his light, they give you the programmability that lets you make it as fancy or even more simple than the compact user interface (You can actually have a one mode, fixed output level light if that's all you want)

It is hard to recall another light with so much hype before its release and so many preorders than with the D10/EX10.. After its release, anybody complaining about the double presses for ramping, stiff or erratic switching, or the user mode memory getting lost after shortcut high and low, often got shot down as a troll or an idiot that didn't know what he was doing. The honeymoon with Ex10 is over for some people, and for those people, the LF3XT is a light worth considering.

I, too, like my EX10 even with its faults. I just like the LF3XT more.
It wouldn't have been enough for me had LiteFlux fixed the few quirks in the EX10 interface, or switching and just given me that. But what really sold me was the beautiful LiteFlux beam with no Q5 artifacts! IMO, the EX10 even with the GD plus emitter can't come close as far as beam quality. While I grant you that design of the interface makes or breaks a light, the quality of the light output itself is nearly as important. After all, what are you pushing the button for if it isn't to see pleasing light? When you have both, a great interface and a beautiful beam like you do with the LF3XT, you have a winner!

I never said anything about the EX10 is better or worse than the LF3XT. I don't own a LF3XT so I cannot compare the two and comment on it. I want to buy one though.

I was just responding to the poster's comments about the UI is not non-flashaholic friendly.

And depending on what you're looking for in a beam, I think the EX10 beam on mine is great. It's like I think Olight's beam is among the best but not alot of people talk about Olights in general.

Again, I am not discussing which one is better......not the point of my post.

Lucky Strike

Newly Enlightened
I just lost my D10 the other week....dang things are too small and handy. It magically jumped out of my pocket. I ended up going with a D20 to replace....i figure the extra size and pocket clip will keep it from escaping

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
dang it! my lf3xt is still not here from eliteled. i got an email saying it was shipped friday the 19th and i tracked it but the tracking hasn't been updated since that night. has anyone else ordered from this company? and has the tracking been more reliable? man, i'm tired of edc'ing my dx cheapie!!

notsobrite

sappyg

Enlightened
I just lost my D10 the other week....dang things are too small and handy. It magically jumped out of my pocket. I ended up going with a D20 to replace....i figure the extra size and pocket clip will keep it from escaping

i think i might loose my d10 too. i have been looking for a reason to get a LiteFlux:whistle:

rp42995

Newly Enlightened
dang it! my lf3xt is still not here from eliteled. i got an email saying it was shipped friday the 19th and i tracked it but the tracking hasn't been updated since that night. has anyone else ordered from this company? and has the tracking been more reliable? man, i'm tired of edc'ing my dx cheapie!!

notsobrite
don't worry they are a great company never had any problems with them. It's the Postal Service, Holidays busy time of year