What is your 1xAA choice?

roymail

Enlightened
Everyone has an opinion, so what is your choice in a 1xAA LED light?

With the advent of LSD NiMH AA cells like Sanyo Eneloops along with very efficient Cree emitters, suddenly the AA format has become a serious contender in the EDC category. And, many companies have entered the AA arena in a big way.

Since everyone has an opinion, please share your choice in a 1xAA category? Try to answer this as if you were limited to just one light. I'm finding this to be a very difficult choice.

Perhaps some of you who have been through a number of these single AA lights or those who currently own a handful of them can help the rest of us benefit from your experience. :thinking:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My edc light now is or was a ITP C9 just got the C7 tube and switch for it the other day and its even bright for a single cell AA. It fits nicely in my hand since i mainly hold the light in cigar grip. And if i want to use a cr123 then i just put that tube on. You can higher and lower the brightness by just loosening the head and tighten when the desired level is achieved. It does however have a small spot but it does a great job with the spill. May we include pics.

p1040291ar0.jpg

p1040292lf7.jpg

Pöbel

Enlightened
Nitecore Defender Infinity

got one from the first batch, now with new switch it keeps on going and going...

meanwhile i carried other lights like surefire e1l or EX10, but the NDI is just right. Small enough, bright enough, versatile and it runs on AA.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of very simple lights (and other gadgets) so I'm still carrying my L1T v2.0. Nice bright (by 1 x AA standards) high and a useful low, and nothing else. Forward clicky, and just about the right size for my large hands.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 is the only single AA light I have. I haven't really looked at other 1xAA's since I got it. It's the ideal EDC for me.

Yapo

Enlightened
Yeh i decided to go back to single AA lights for those 2 reasons: LSD AA + Cree

I started off with a jetbeam jet-I IBS for its flexibility with its 3 customizable levels and it could also have a decent min and max output.
I EDCed this light for awhile but i found the minimum output wasnt as low as i'd like it.

Next i got a Led Lenser P5 when it came out to check out its focusable lens.
The focused beam wasnt as smooth as i'd like it to be but none the less it worked quite well.
The 60 lumen output could out throw all my 100ish lumen lights so i EDCed it for awhile and the only problem with it was that the output was too high at times when i didnt need much light.

Which led me to get my current EDC the LRI Proton Pro for its very low minimum output capability along with its nice and simple UI.
I dont care so much for the red light although i guess its better in pitch black situations to ramp up from the extremely low red than to blind yourself with the max white.
It also has an SOS mode and 3 fequencies of strobe that are out of the way but easy to get to if required.
The max output isnt as high as some of the other AA lights out but i would say it's sufficient for general use.
The beam isnt very smooth but its not too bad either. It's got a nice slim body and a sturdy pocket clip as well.
Its not the brightest but its flexible and easy to use and great for general use.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
+1 for the JetBeam Jet I MK IBS; an infinitely variable 2-130 lumens on a standard AA, blasting out to 225 lumens on a Li-Ion cell (still the only 1xAA that can do that), perfectly balanced Fenix-style beam profile, Mil-Spec anodizing, crystal sapphire lens, double o-rings at each thread, glow clicky, and it retailed for ~$60.

erlon

Newly Enlightened
My EDC it´s the ITP C7T.

Perfect for me: perfect output for me, nice runtime and brigthness setting.

All I need.

1996alnl

Enlightened
My only single AA light is the Fenix LD10.
I got it for the sake of having a light that uses batteries that are readily available and i can use an extention 2xAA tube for more output.

I use eneloops in it,exellent runtimes.
I would recommend this light to anyone.

Southernlight

Enlightened
Hi all,

I am a very recent addition to this forum. :popcorn: Its a fun read here.

Some years back I bought a version 1 Inova X1 but since visiting here the first light that I have bought in some time was a Fenix LD10 - love it, nothing to complain about with it. I've since added a EX-10 also. I'd keep the AA over the CR123 if I could only have one - otherwise I reckon get at least one light in all battery types so that you have all bases covered. :grin2:

Cant quite deceide on my next AA, maybe a Jetbeam but I still have that AAA to get!!

Tim

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
Nitecore. i think i have the dx10. the one that was $60 or so. has really low low and high high and just press and hold a button and it slowly fades or brightens. it also takes a 14500 for more runtime and a slightly higher high, especially towards the end of its battery life. i think this is the dx10 or e10 i forget.

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
I have a nitecore D10 and a Jetbeam I IBS, I am running both on 14500s. THey are both great lights. The Jetbeam is a little brighter on 14500s but not on NiMH. I like the Nitecore interface better. I do not use strobe. Sometimes if I change the brightness on the Jetbeam I wind up in brightness change mode and have to reset the brightness. Not a big problem but there is no problem with the Nitecore.

Snow

Enlightened
LRI Proton Pro for me. The ability to turn it on min or max is great. The low red can be used ANYWHERE without disturbing others in my experience.