Nitecore D10 and unprotected cells

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a friend with a D10. He got a protected 14500 that turned out to be too long for the light. We'd like to know if it's possible to remove the protection and use it unprotected without damage to the cell.
In other words: does the D10 have low voltage protection, or will it bring an unprotected LiIon below safe voltage?

Thanks.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If it had low voltage protection to protect a lithium rechargeable that is damaged below 3.0volts , it wouldn't work with the1.5 volt alkaline or 1.2 volt rechargeable NiMH it is typically meant to accept.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wrong. The NDI (the predecessor of the D10) has low voltage protection, yet works with standard AAs. It determines the type of cell used by the starting voltage and decides whether to apply the protection or not. It did have the low-voltage alarm before shutoff, which was definitely very annoying.
I know the D10 doesn't have the alarm, but I need to know if it has any form of protection.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard of any protection for the D10; I would have thought this would be a selling point and have been mentioned somewhere along the line if it did have protection?

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Fallingwater, I didn't know that any flashlight was capable of detecting the voltage and then responding as necessary. That's pretty neat!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fallingwater, I didn't know that any flashlight was capable of detecting the voltage and then responding as necessary. That's pretty neat!
I don't like the low-voltage protection of my NDI. Since lengthened protected cells fit, I'd be happier without. The low-battery alarm occasionally goes off when it shouldn't due to added momentary resistance from the body and switch, and it won't let me use more than 10% or so of the capacity of LiFePO4 cells due to the lower voltage.