New guy looking for new light.

JOHNNY-FLASH

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:Hi new to forum and new to LED flashlights. I am looking at a couple surefire flashlights and can't really make up my mind between the two. I work for the state hwy department and we are starting to get busy with the snow season. I work nights on snow and it seems like we are always looking at something on our trucks in the middle of the night. There is also some map reading once in a while. That said here is what I've been looking at, Surefire K2-Kroma (red-white-blue) and Surefire U2 Ultra. Wondering if I am looking at the right type of lights or do I need to look else where ? Thanks.:thinking:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF ! :wave:

Unless you have a specific need for the red and blue, the U2 is a better choice.
It is brighter and runs longer as it uses a newer LED (make sure to get the U2A variant, which is the upgraded one), it has a lower low level, too, and everything in between.

The U2 is my preferred "to go" light and one of the best if not the best general purpose illumination tool with a KISS (keep it super simple) interface and the highest quality. You might notice I like it. :D

However, it is also a very expensive tool. It sounds like you have a job that needs the best though and I am always here to recommend the U2.
You just have to know there are lights that are just as bright or brighter for much less money. In *my* opinion none of those comes close to the utility and quality of the U2, but opinions do vary and you will most likely get different answers. :)

Have fun here!

bernie

JOHNNY-FLASH

Newly Enlightened
Is the U2A the same as the U2 ULTRA ? can't find it listed as the U2A on any of the retailers web sites I've seen , only the U2 ULTRA.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Not that I'm suggesting the U2 is not a fantastic light, but you might also consider some of the cheaper "tactical" lights such as the Jet III M, which has a simple interface (high and one user-defined level) and costs about a third the U2. I don't have one myself yet but it sounds perfect to me.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Most of the packaging and retail websites didn't make the upgrade yet. You can get U2A lights at the CPF MarketPlace to be sure they are upgraded versions. The "U2 Ultra" is the LuxV version and half as efficient, but with a slightly more useful beam.

pipspeak, sorry to disagree, but a "user defined level" is never simpler than the selector ring of the U2. It won't get any simpler for a multi-level than the U2. But it won't get any more expensive either :D

bernie

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF.

Since you are already looking at SureFire I will assume you have already considered the cost and it is no problem.

I certainly can highly recommend the new U2. With its high when bright light is needed and low for things like map reading you can't go wrong.

The only other thing that came to mind was, with you being on the road and depending on how much you use your light, a rechargable light like the Inova T4-MP might also make sense. I believe it also comes with a car charger and is also a high quality light. It has a high mode, low mode and strobe. However, the low on the U2 is probably much lower?

Anyway something else to think about.

Again, welcome and good luck.

Bill

Last edited: