24/7/365 Waterproof Neck Carry Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
***UPDATE! CHIP HAS KINDLY AGREED TO MAKE THE DREAM LIGHT! PLEASE SEE PAGE 9 STARTING WITH POST 268!***

Hey fellas,

I have a lot of nice lights that I enjoy--currently alternating between the Muyshondt Aeon, the Lummi Wee and the Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel on my keychain and loving all three. However, I find that around the house and on the weekends, I'm not always carrying my keys and am thus without a light. As a flashaholic, this causes me distress...
wrong.gif

So, I had the idea of a neck-carry light that would be on me at all times... But, I don't want a lanyard carry, something a lot of folks talk about, because I would have to take this off at bedtime or to shower. I want a light that I can wear like my medal around my neck--24/7/365. In the shower, to sleep, to work, swimming the ocean, playing basketball--all the time, never take it off, never have to worry about it.

So it needs to be:
-light and teeny-tiny, like a Photon/fauxton
-waterproof
-durable in general (LED, hence posted here rather than in gen flashlights)
-brightness, price and runtime are more negotiable

Does this light exist? Do folks do this? Am I crazy?
hammer-1.gif
Wait--don't answer that last one!

Thanks in advance!
matrix.gif

p.s. the lights I've mentioned: the Lummi Wee, the LD01, and the Aeon are all fantastic lights but I think that, for me, they are too big for easy neck carry. Even the tiny Wee with it's cylindrical shape is just too big for me. I think the form factor really has to be like a Photon-type light or similar...

Here is the most current chart where I've mapped out some of the contenders...
Chart.jpg

***TEMPORARY LIST OF FOLKS INTERESTED IN A CUSTOM TINY NECK LIGHT IN THE SAME SPIRIT OF THE NOW-DEFUNCT FIREFLI: TINY TITANIUM LIGHT THAT COULD EVEN ACTIVATE UNDERWATER AND BE TOTALLY WEARABLE ON A CHAIN 24/7/365***
(note: I'm not a maker or a seller--this is truly just an interested-in-the-idea list as I am talking with a few makers to see if they'd consider making something like this. Once it is even a true possibility, I/they will of course start a thread in the appropriate place. Mods, please let me know if you'd rather I keep this off-line or elsewhere.)
1. Applevision
2. Monkeyboab
3. Christoph
4. Kaichu Dento
5. Frenchyled
6. kramer5150
7. Trashman
8. moeman
9. OrlandoLights
10. Uriah
11. ev13wt
12. balou
13. MKLight
14. Lumenz
15. Tixx
16. Zeruel
17. herrgurka
18. mrQQ
19. HKJ
20. scout24
21. Incidentalist
22. Phos4
23. JLEGG
24. Viper715
25. Creecher
26. fisk-king
27. fitzDaug
28. Skeptic
29. jch79
30. Glenn7
31. Wrencher
32. Mikellen
33. London Lad
34. wingnutLP
35. littlerm
36. D.B.
37. litetube
38. coyote
39. SomeoneSomewhere
40. JDest

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey fellas,

I have a lot of nice lights that I enjoy--currently alternating between the Muyshondt Aeon, the Lummi Wee and the Fenix LD01 Stainless Steel on my keychain and loving all three. However, I find that around the house and on the weekends, I'm not always carrying my keys and am thus without a light. As a flashaholic, this causes me distress...
wrong.gif

So, I had the idea of a neck-carry light that would be on me at all times... But, I don't want a lanyard carry, something a lot of folks talk about, because I would have to take this off at bedtime or to shower. I want a light that I can wear like my medal around my neck--24/7/365. In the shower, to sleep, to work, swimming the ocean, playing basketball--all the time, never take it off, never have to worry about it.

So it needs to be:
-light and teeny-tiny, like a Photon/fauxton
-waterproof
-durable in general (LED, hence posted here rather than in gen flashlights)
-brightness, price and runtime are more negotiable

Does this light exist? Do folks do this? Am I crazy?
hammer-1.gif
Wait--don't answer that last one!

Thanks in advance!
matrix.gif

p.s. the lights I've mentioned: the Lummi Wee, the LD01, and the Aeon are all fantastic lights but I think that, for me, they are too big for easy neck carry. Even the tiny Wee with it's cylindrical shape is just too big for me. I think the form factor really has to be like a Photon-type light or similar...

I would think it's rather uncomfortable to sleep or swim in the ocean with anything around your neck. I attach a Streamlight Nano to my watch band, and it's with me whenever I wear my watch, which is most of the time.

sanchez

Newly Enlightened
I want a light that I can wear like my medal around my neck--24/7/365. In the shower, to sleep, to work, swimming the ocean, playing basketball--all the time, never take it off, never have to worry about it.

If you plan to wear it and not take it off, how will you be able to use the light? I would find it very difficult to reach up to my neck and direct the light to where I need it. :thumbsdow Hopefully you meant detachable from your neck.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
A photon 2 almost works, the only real problem is saltwater, it's fine in fresh/tapwater. Just give it a spritz of deoxit or WD40 to prevent corrosion long term. Maybe an original photon 1 with a bit of sealant around the LED?? With the green LED and a 2032 it should last a very long time before you need to crack it open.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:tinfoil:
I'm planning on having a P7 and a LI-poly batt surgically implanted just under the skin.
I will PM you the name and number of my doctor.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think it's rather uncomfortable to sleep or swim in the ocean with anything around your neck. I attach a Streamlight Nano to my watch band, and it's with me whenever I wear my watch, which is most of the time.

Thanks, davidt1, I read some stuff on the Nano and will seriously consider it. It does seem to be similar in size to the Wee but is cheap and thus more expendable than the pricier Wee... I agree that anything big around the neck would be uncomfortable. I do have a medal (about 2.5cm in diameter) around my neck at all times so am used to this. A small form-factor light like a Photon would be nearly invisible to me...

If you plan to wear it and not take it off, how will you be able to use the light? I would find it very difficult to reach up to my neck and direct the light to where I need it. :thumbsdow Hopefully you meant detachable from your neck.

sanchez, it's a good point--but imagining a Photon, I would simply grab the light at the end of the chain and squeeze it/activate it and then could point it fairly easily I think. I'm testing it right now with a regular fauxton and it seems reasonable/straightforward. Mind you, this is a super-sonic backup light and by no means a regular-duty light. But, I suppose some type of easy detachment would be cool as well.

A photon 2 almost works, the only real problem is saltwater, it's fine in fresh/tapwater. Just give it a spritz of deoxit or WD40 to prevent corrosion long term. Maybe an original photon 1 with a bit of sealant around the LED?? With the green LED and a 2032 it should last a very long time before you need to crack it open.

Thanks Yoda4561, good point. In truth I don't go into the ocean much at all (living in Chicago these days...) so this might be THE suggestion. So the Photon 2 is water resistant? I could take a shower with it and not worry?

:tinfoil:
I'm planning on having a P7 and a LI-poly batt surgically implanted just under the skin.
I will PM you the name and number of my doctor.

Hee hee! :crackup:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear a Ti Draco nearly 24/7 on a Ti chain with a Ti McGizmo clip so I can detach it if needed. The only time I take it off is to sleep, and usually when I shower. But I have worn it in the pool, so I know it handles submersion well. Small, light weight, durable, multi-level: what's not to like?

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear a Ti Draco nearly 24/7 on a Ti chain with a Ti McGizmo clip so I can detach it if needed. The only time I take it off is to sleep, and usually when I shower. But I have worn it in the pool, so I know it handles submersion well. Small, light weight, durable, multi-level: what's not to like?

I have a La Petite Killer that I wear on a Ti neck chain. It's small and doesn't even look like a light when on the chain.

-LT

You guys are the best! I am getting really excited about this! I have long lusted for a Draco... and may have to check it out! I also was very intrigued by the La Petite Killer... it is gorgeous! I need to read more about it... I know they are hard to come by in general... Thanks guys!!

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, what medal is it that you edc?

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Yoda4561, good point. In truth I don't go into the ocean much at all (living in Chicago these days...) so this might be THE suggestion. So the Photon 2 is water resistant? I could take a shower with it and not worry?

Hee hee! :crackup:

I did so for 3 weeks after hurricane charley with my photon II set up as described. IIRC the estimated runtime on a green+2032 is nearly 1 full week constant on. We had no power but plenty of running water, so it was on a neck cord 24/7 and the light I used to get around the house at night and shower by, didn't want to risk any of the larger maglites in the shower since we needed them for other stuff. None of our other lights at the time were anything resembling water resistant enough. It was perfectly fine, all I did was twirl it around on the neck cord really fast to get the water out afterwards, no oil or anything. It functions 100% in fresh water. When I finally had to change the battery a year later it was a bit chalky and the contacts looked dirty as heck. A bit of plastic safe contact cleaner like most deoxit formulas or just a water displacing oil every few months to a year would have kept it pristine.

sanchez

Newly Enlightened
If it being around your neck works out for you, then I can't argue against it haha:).

It would be nice to have one that is detachable, just in case.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, what medal is it that you edc?

It's funny that you ask that...

For over 20 years I wore a St. Peter medal of gold and a cornicello (a little Italian horn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornicello both given to me by my mom.

I never took them off for anything.

Then a few months ago I came across an interesting avatar here on cpf:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/member.php?u=54233
Lux et veritas has an interesting avatar that is the cross of St. Benedict:
CSSML NDSMD Crux sacra sit mihi lux! Nunquam draco sit mihi dux C S P B Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti I thought this was really beautiful and told my mom about it--and voila! Next thing I knew, I now have a beautiful version of this medal in silver with a stainless steel necklace without any clasp. I love it! You can see a very similar one here: http://www.aquinasandmore.com/index.../FuseAction/store.displayArticle/article/103/

Thanks for asking! And thanks to Lux et veritas!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the Photon III or Photon Freedom are a bit more water resistant than the Photon II with the little thumbnail switch. But if it does go out just take it apart, dry it, put it back together and go.

-LT

Snow

Enlightened
Applevision: I am surprised that you mention the Photon in your original post and later say that you think the Photon form factor is the way to go, but you haven't decided on one. I wonder why. I recently received an orange Photon Freedom for an early Christmas gift and I have been wearing it 24/7. The orange had a 2032 battery and a great runtime, is very dim on the lowest setting, and surprisingly bright on high. It meets all of the criteria you speak of, plus it is made by a great company in the US. It is also easily detached from the neck lanyard for use and comes with a clip for a key ring and a little magnetic clamp. This light is easily the best $12.95 a person can spend IMO. Give it a try in any color and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been wearing this for the last 5 years it always lights up and runs for a long time ZA 4 firefli

The only drawback is they are hard to find now I am glad i have a spare.
C

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Applevision: I am surprised that you mention the Photon in your original post and later say that you think the Photon form factor is the way to go, but you haven't decided on one. I wonder why. I recently received an orange Photon Freedom for an early Christmas gift and I have been wearing it 24/7. The orange had a 2032 battery and a great runtime, is very dim on the lowest setting, and surprisingly bright on high. It meets all of the criteria you speak of, plus it is made by a great company in the US. It is also easily detached from the neck lanyard for use and comes with a clip for a key ring and a little magnetic clamp. This light is easily the best $12.95 a person can spend IMO. Give it a try in any color and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Snow, you are right... I am guilty as charged. I do own a Photon Freedom which I love and carried on my keys for a long time... until I became a flashaholic and have since been on an insatiable quest for better/faster/stronger lights. I think my main concerns were two fold: 1) That it doesn't look so nice given the plastic and 2) that it might not be very waterproof... but now that I read this thread (thanks guys!) I am convinced that it could be among the best of the best for this task.

I have been wearing this for the last 5 years it always lights up and runs for a long time ZA 4 firefli

The only drawback is they are hard to find now I am glad i have a spare.
C

Christoph--this is a bolt from the blue! This is EXACTLY what was in my mind, as if you somehow grabbed it from my thoughts! What I love about this light is that it is tiny, looks very durable/waterproof/submersible and looks like a piece of jewelry! Now: Where the heck can I get one?! :eek: And can you give us a mini review? I found the following info on it:
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/firefli.htm

and

http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/FireFli_1.htm

You guys rock! Thank you! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
The freedom should be fine, but probably won't be as tolerant of water-based abuse due to the electronics. Then again maybe the pcb is coated and impervious to saltwater damage? I've never had one apart. The Photon 1 and 2 are just LEDs and a battery, not much to go wrong :)

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have searched and searched and have found none. JSB had some at one point I have not been able to get a hold of him to see if he has any left though. I would think someone somewhere has a stock of these they were sold in some mail order catalogs.I would pay more than list price for some if they could be found. the o ring on my first is finally failing and the replacement I found has a little too large of a cross section or the original was a square gasket that measured 5mm id X 7mm od.I had a Ti version made for me however it broke in half one day right behind the led.
Chris

Last edited:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys-- do you think a custom light maker might be interested in taking up the mantle for this type of light?

Like McG or Lummi or Muyshondt? It wouldn't have to be too fancy... imagine something very similar (perhaps a little bit embellished...) made of SS or NS or Ti.. it could be called the Phial or the Sliver of Sun/SliverSun or something like that! I am fantasizing about McG using the Sun Drop LED in it to get this sliver of sunlight when all other lights fail... imagine this light...
drool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.