• No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMHO, I'd think of how big of a slap in the face it would be for al-queida if we rebuild something on Ground Zero that is even more grand than what they had destroyed.

I believe the more magnificent, the better...

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The building would first of all, have to be a business. It would be tough to build it and then have it sit empty since few would want to work there.

Also, there is some discussion that super sky-scrapers may already be obsolete. They made sense in the last half of the last century, before the internet, fax machines, cell phones and PCs, but likely not now.

As a symbol, it makes sense for NYC to build it, but to do so would be like painting a bullseye on it. It's nice to say: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!", but not necessarily for those paying for it.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FalconFX said:
And in NYC, I doubt they'll have little trouble in filling up the office space...

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't there a whole bunch of empty offices in the WTC before 9/11? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

-Jason

Skyline

Enlightened
Personally speaking, I would love for the new WTC to be the new world's tallest. Yes, there are companies that are fearful of taking space in the next obvious target for terrorist. Who knows, it may take a while for it to become fully occupied.

But the idea of not trying is worse than trying and failing.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weren't there a whole bunch of empty offices in the WTC before 9/11?

Yes, but because the plan does not call for 2 towers, I don't see why the single tower cannot be filled by the capacity of the previous 2 combined...

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whatever the heck the real owners and investors want is what should be done. If the "people" of New York want to have a vote in deciding what to put there, they should buy the land outright, and then they can decide what goes there.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm wondering how many future tenants the owners have signed up. Plans might change if the numbers are low.

Purely as an individual, if I was offered a position with a company resident in the building, I would think long and hard before accepting it. Might be okay if I was offered extra 'danger pay'.

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of something that flies in the face of the values of those who destroyed it, but building another super sky-scraper doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Those buildings are mostly vanity pieces anyway, and don't make sense from a purely economic and practical/engineering standpoint.

Maybe some sort of museum, community center or educational facility that promotes religious freedom, women's rights, tolerance of others' beliefs and opinions, cultural diversity, democracy, energy independance, etc.

Or maybe a Homeland Security headquarters or a "Scotland Yard" type of law-enforcement headquarters for hunting down terrorists and war criminals.