Sub $150 pocket throw king?

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
The title says it all, what is the current pocket throw king under $150. I've been looking at the Dereelight DBS 3SM MC-E.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the DBS with MC-E is more floody than the R2 versions.
If you want throw, go for the R2

D-Dog

Enlightened
Jetbeam II IBS throws for over 10,000 lux... and it's only $75 dollars so you could get two :p jk

It is still probably the best as far as a 1 x CR/RCR123a thrower

D-Dog

Enlightened
Personally if I wanted a 1X123 thrower I'd get an L1

If you were going for the Surefire name and perhaps slightly better construction then sure, however, the Jet II IBS is by far a brighter light and in fact puts up good numbers against most 2 cell light too for that matter. Of course the runtime isn't great on max and you are draining the battery faster than you probably should (close to 3 C), however, high would be more appropriate for most situations and is still brighter than an L1. The "current pocket throw king" for a 1 cell pocketable light is the Jet II IBS although if you consider 2 cells also "pocketable" then you have a multitude of other options such as the Dereelight you mentioned

Only 5100lux for the new E1B, yet 8350lux for the Jet II IBS as per this excellent thread

Last edited:

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
I don't really like the reverse clickies so the JetBeam is out.
I think Surefires are over hyped and over priced so the L1 is out too.

So I think I'm going to go with the DBS. So the new question is, are the only differences between the MCE and the R2 the reflector? Can I buy one version and just buy the other reflector?

D-Dog

Enlightened
I'm not exactly sure, however, the R2 reflector would have a smaller hole as it is a single die emitter where as the MCE would have a larger hole being multi-die. Thus you could swap the R2 into an MCE reflector but you would definitely lose some light and the other way wouldn't fit without modding it...

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
what a beam!

just when i thought i was done buying lights :help:

Did you read the part where it says....

"Keep in mind that these pics were taken with a longish exposure to show the beam dispersion characteristics. "

Now I don't know how much a long exposure enhances the beam but, I wouldn't expect the beam to look as defined as it does in the pics if you buy one.

D-Dog

Enlightened
I'm sure it is noticeable, however, hardly the "lightsaber" it appears to be in those shots. It was also most likely a little foggy the night those shots were taken to further enhance the beam's appearance.

Good idea in pointing that out :)

pipspeak

Enlightened

I didn't really like the Jet II IBS, even with a forward clickie. Didn't sit right in my hand and the IBS was wasted on me. The max output also gives you max battery drain. For a one-cell light you can't go wrong with the D-Mini Q5. I miss mine, and although it is a little behind the Jet output-wise (but ahead of just about everything else) it's far more ergonomic IMO.

I agree Surefires are overpriced but not necessarily overhyped... the new generation of LED models is pretty good and the E2DL is my favorite light right now (although I paid way less than current list price)

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you read the part where it says....

"Keep in mind that these pics were taken with a longish exposure to show the beam dispersion characteristics. "

Now I don't know how much a long exposure enhances the beam but, I wouldn't expect the beam to look as defined as it does in the pics if you buy one.

I'm sure it is noticeable, however, hardly the "lightsaber" it appears to be in those shots. It was also most likely a little foggy the night those shots were taken to further enhance the beam's appearance.

Good idea in pointing that out :)

looking at the stars, ambient light and flood spill ratio im betting those photos are pretty accurate.

im convinced enough to pay $80 if i can find one used :naughty:

theres a few throwers talked about here, ive seen the pics, this deer looks as good as, if not better than the rest of the sub $150 lights.

to me.:whistle:

artec540

Enlightened
Jetbeam II IBS throws for over 10,000 lux... and it's only $75 dollars so you could get two :p jk

It is still probably the best as far as a 1 x CR/RCR123a thrower

Two of them won't throw twice as far, though, like the DBS will.

artec540

Enlightened

So I think I'm going to go with the DBS. So the new question is, are the only differences between the MCE and the R2 the reflector? Can I buy one version and just buy the other reflector?

Very good decision. You need one of the pills that run 1.2 amps rather than the 1.0. Then it depends on whether you want more than one range. I don't so I've got the 1S...... it's on or it ain't and if it is, you're never in doubt about what gear it's in.

You can order with either reflector or pay a bit extra and get both. If you want throw, order the SMO. Even the OP gives good range, and obviously smoother, but SMO gives the distance. I'm a throw freak, so that's what I've got. I'm told the R2 isn't visibly brighter but I've never seen one, so I have no experience.

Last edited: