What started the trend for tail switches?

jusval

Enlightened
I just have to ask.

Tactical?

I mean there's no real good use for a tail switch for regular walking.

Right?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a couple side switch lights and while I think they are great in some situations it is difficult to find the switch in a hurry. So I'd guess the need to find the switch quickly in some situations brought on the popularity of tail switches in lights that were smaller (than a D-cell Mag). And of course the 'tactical' buzz concept seems to sell a lot of things nowadays.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
there is some use for it. either you have to have it a twisty or a switch between the batteries and light engine possibly making the like considerably longer. Tail switches are easier to mod and replace too. Some lights you can buy multi stage switches or forward clickies while most of the body switches are reverse clicky and hard to replace. I like body switches but they make a 2AA cell longer and heavier too.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
The advantage to the tail switch for a normal light is that having a 1/2" longer light isn't as bad as having a 1/2" wider light to fit the switch in there.

jusval

Enlightened
I've got a couple side switch lights and while I think they are great in some situations it is difficult to find the switch in a hurry. So I'd guess the need to find the switch quickly in some situations brought on the popularity of tail switches in lights that were smaller (than a D-cell Mag). And of course the 'tactical' buzz concept seems to sell a lot of things nowadays.

Yes, tactical...... I'm not an officer or military man, so I don't know how they use lights. I see that one might like a tail switch, if you raise your hand to your shoulder and hold the light over your shoulder in front of you. That puts your thumb in back and a tail switch would be good for that.... I think I would rather have a headlamp and have Both my hands free though, or have the light mounted under the weapon of choice. That makes more sense to me, but as I say, I'm not an officer or military....

Os course, with a light like a D Maglite, the size of it is big anyhow, so a body switch doesn't make much difference. I don't think a 4D or 6D would be much good with a tail switch...

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Os course, with a light like a D Maglite, the size of it is big anyhow, so a body switch doesn't make much difference.

You want a side switch on this?

MacOwns.jpg

(more Mac's Customs awesomeness: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dislike side-switches altogether! Whatever the reasons, I'm glad manufacturers decided to opt for the tailswitch. Of all the lights I own, only one is a side-switch model (Inova T4). Even though it's right there handy in the charger, I never grab it for a quick job as my L4 is much easier to operate to me at least. In all honesty, I even prefer a twisty operation with no button at all to a side-switch clicky. When they're flush mounted they're even worse IMO. YMMV

jusval

Enlightened
You want a side switch on this?

MacOwns.jpg

(more Mac's Customs awesomeness: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=96)

I want a pressure sensitive switch on it. Flush in the body, so when you pick it up and grip it, the thing lights up and when you stop gripping it goes off...... Actually you can make one of the knurled sections a concealed switch, so without knowing, no one else would be able to use it, or even know it was there........:devil:

How much will that be Mac and can you do it right away?:D

Really that's a Very Cool flashlight StarHalo!! Awesome work Mac!!!:twothumbs

If I were rich I'd buy one, but heck if I were rich I'd probably buy a Lot of other stuff first!!!

Last edited:

saabgoblin

Enlightened
My first guess would be strictly from a manufacturing point of view because it is easier to create a watertight seal on the flat butt end of the light as opposed to the curved body of the light. Other than that, I would go with the tactical/weapon mount ideas or a combination of both. Is there a manufacturer that is credited for the first tail cap switch or is Surefire the easiest and obvious answer?

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Os course, with a light like a D Maglite, the size of it is big anyhow, so a body switch doesn't make much difference. I don't think a 4D or 6D would be much good with a tail switch...

Actually... the Maglites have anodizing on their threads and other than capitalizing on this to use it as a 'lock out' feature, I remember one of our members stating it could also be used as a 'defacto tailswitch' (unscrewed just enough to break circuit) :thumbsup:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just have to ask.

Tactical?

I mean there's no real good use for a tail switch for regular walking.

Right?
Side switches = great on big and long traditional D-cell lights, impractical and cumbersome on modern compact CR123 lights.

I always use the "Cigar Grip" on my tactical lights for regular walking, so I don't miss side switches at all. Try it.

Culhain

Enlightened
I can't answer your question on tail switches, but after spending years using MiniMags I sitll twist the head on every light that I touch.

Yesterday morning, pre-coffee, I slowly became aware that I was twisting the head on my 6P wondering what was wrong.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think surefire invented them, but they did make it popular on our fancy flashlights. I'm glad they did since to me it's a much better switch location for a pocket carried light. There's no wondering what side of the light the switch is on when you grab it, so you don't need to think about turning it on, it's just there. I do like side switches on bigger lights, like C and D cell mags, as a tailswitch is awkward on anything much longer than the length of my hand, from wrist to fingertips. I can see how it would be annoying for someone who carries the light at their side in a natural walking posture, but if I'm carrying the light like that there's no problem taking the extra second to use the twistie/clickie and then reposition. For utility tasks it feels much more natural with a big 3 or 4D maglight and tailswitch lights if up near my shoulder.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually... the Maglites have anodizing on their threads and other than capitalizing on this to use it as a 'lock out' feature, I remember one of our members stating it could also be used as a 'defacto tailswitch' (unscrewed just enough to break circuit) :thumbsup:
I tried this on my Mag 2D and the light continued to operate until the batteries fell out. Maybe some Mags are constructed differently from others?

There's no wondering what side of the light the switch is on when you grab it
I have read this from several people and I don't quite understand it. I find the switch by feel and it takes but a moment for it to fall under my thumb. This is especially true when manufacturers design the body of the light asymmetrically so that the shape makes it fall automatically into the right position in the hand. The Mag design is one of the worst in this regard, with no tactile indication of the switch location at all.

jusval

Enlightened
The Mag design is one of the worst in this regard, with no tactile indication of the switch location at all.

Nite Ize Grip 'N Clip
Nite Ize for all your Maglite needs......:grin2:

Hey I might try one of those........