LED Mod for Surefire M4?

Centropolis

Enlightened
First of all, I did try searching for 'led m4' and 'm4 led mod' but didn't find anything relevant.

Is there a popular mod or module that I can buy to convert a M4 to LED?

DirectGap

Newly Enlightened
Yes, there is an available mod.Go to the CPF Marketplace, Dealer's Corner, and look for the thread on AW's TurboHead tower module kits.

txgp17

Enlightened
I'd say you're best bet is a Lumens Factory bulb and some AW 17650 cells.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated above, go to the Dealer's Corner in the Marketplace and look for AW's tower kit. These are the same parts as in the Arcmania towers, but in kit form. You build an LED tower that replaces the SF incandescent lamp assembly in your M4.

A good choice for the LED tower is the Seoul version. Then get a Seoul P4 U2 bin LED from PhotonFanatic. You also need

- 24 gauge hookup wire, preferably teflon coated instead of standard PVC (available from a guy named mudman cj on the Custom and Mod B/S/T forum). PVC insulation has a tendency to shrink back and you have to be quick with your soldering iron. A good soldering job with minimal insulation shrinkage can be done using PVC coated wire, but it is easier with teflon coated wire.
- driver board (SOB 917 or SOB 1000 from The Sandwich Shoppe works well)
- clear nail polish
- isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (for cleaning any finger oils from the top of the tower and the LED's slug)
- thermal epoxy (one choice is Arctic Alumina thermal adhesive, not thermal compound, from PhotonFanatic or The Sandwich Shoppe)
- soldering iron and solder
- diagonal wire cutter (to trim the leads from the LED -- clearance through the hole in the reflector is tight)
- small screwdriver to tighten the M2 ground screw to the tower (a magnetic tip makes life easier too)

A spare 3.7V Li-ion cell, some small magnets, a known-good LED, and some extra hookup wire are also useful to test driver board for function before you start assembling the kit. Once you verify that the driver board works, you can also test your Seoul P4 for function.

I've mic'ed the AW tower and it comes out a little taller than the yclo tower -- about 0.015" taller. If this is an issue, you can get some shims from McMaster-Carr (they sell some very thin shims) to compensate for the extra height of the AW tower. I haven't noticed any beam quality issue in my AW tower in a SureFire T-62 turbohead and a SureFire SRTH, but your turbohead may be different.

Assembly is reasonably straightforward. It might be easier to feed the wire leads through the center channel by starting from the top instead of from the bottom. I soldered the wire leads to the sides of the LED terminal leads, not on top of them. This was because of the tight clearance that the tower has to fit through the hole in the reflector. I also trimmed and then folded down the long LED terminal leads as flat as possible against the side the black plastic LED case and trimmed back the notched and unnotched leads that also stick out.

During assembly, the Seoul P4's dome (which is sticky) may collect foreign material. You can use a lintless microfiber cloth (such as the ones for cleaning eyeglasses) dipped in the isopropyl alcohol to clean the dome. I used a freely-dangling corner of the cloth and lightly brushed it over the dome to pick up all of the FM. Do this at the end, and then insert the completed tower into your M4.

I did not glue or solder the driver board into the base of the tower. The board fit to the tower was perfect and the friction fit was enough to keep the board in-place and perfectly flat. I also did not bother with filling the driver board cavity with thermal compound. The tower seems to run very cool (my SF 12ZM light barely got warm after a recent 15 minute continuous run), so I don't think the SOB driver board is going to suffer from heat buildup (it has some sort of built-in thermal protection anyway). IIRC, I measured about 4 watts of power into the board. Assuming 75%-85% driver board efficiency (the stated spec for the SOB), that means the board is dissipating 1 watt or less as waste heat. I suspect that driver boards such as the ones in SF 6P drop-ins run hotter than that (e.g., DX6090), and images of the DX6090 on the Deal Extreme web site don't show any thermal compound covering their driver.

If you may use this in a weaponlight, I would test the strength of the adhesive that holds the LED to the top of the tower. You don't want your LED to pop off under recoil. It might help to lightly roughen the slug and tower surfaces for better adhesion to the thermal epoxy.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
This same question came up on custom BST. I'll run some towers in 6061-T6 if there's enough interest. Copper is a possibility, but priced quite a bit higher.

The M4 seems like the perfect host for a pair of 18650's and an XM-L. Surprised that no one offers a good drop in tower.

Excellent post by JustinCase. That gives me much of the sizing information I need.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wonder if the heat from the emitter will become an issue as the thermal path leaves a lot to be desired in this light. The ideal situation would be to have a large reflecor made that would eliminate the shock absorbing system in this head and increase the contact between the reflector and the bezel/head so that the heat has somewhere to go. This should allow you to run more than 1.5A and get even more output from this light.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one from nailbender...awesome piece of work I must say. 4-16volts and regulated to avoid any heat issues, so I can use it in my 9ZRT, M6, M4, etc. I sacrificed out-put for runtime, but seriously, there's nothing I can't do with 200-300 lumens, so the trade off was worth it. It's true that the larger millenium turbo-heads aren't as good at disaeppating heat as the KT1/KT2, but a low powered led tower should be fine. Did I mention that nailbender makes really good stuff? LOL!