Direct drive MC-E from LiIon 18650?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: how much current does a MC-E (or SSC P7) draw if connected to a fully charged (4.2V) 18650 LiIon? Enough to burn itself to hell even when well heatsunk, or manageable?
Thanks.

steve6690

Enlightened
Depends on the voltage bin of the emitter. I'd imagine an MC-E would fry, even allowing for a bit of sag depending on the battery you select. I have a K bin MCE hooked up to my bench supply at the moment. Vf at 2.8 amps is 3.3V. You'd need to try and get a suitable voltage bin which I'm not sure you can do with the MC-E, but you can with a P7. I'll wind the input up to 4A tonight and measure the Vf

Last edited:

bbgobie

Newly Enlightened
I've done it for 1-2 seconds at a time on my bench at home.
Never tried any longer, and never long enough to really take measurements.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: how much current does a MC-E (or SSC P7) draw if connected to a fully charged (4.2V) 18650 LiIon? Enough to burn itself to hell even when well heatsunk, or manageable?
Thanks.

I've driven my two P7 modded Mag Lites directly with 3 D alkalines at 4.5v with no issues. With my variable power supply, the LEDs run 3 amps at around 3.7V driven directly.

steve6690

Enlightened
Depends on the voltage bin of the emitter. I'd imagine an MC-E would fry, even allowing for a bit of sag depending on the battery you select. I have a K bin MCE hooked up to my bench supply at the moment. Vf at 2.8 amps is 3.3V. You'd need to try and get a suitable voltage bin which I'm not sure you can do with the MC-E, but you can with a P7. I'll wind the input up to 4A tonight and measure the Vf

4A was 3.6V input. I doubt it would go to 4.2v as I'd imagine it'd pull around 6A