Surefire G2 led or Inova T1?

A

anon12345

Does anyone have experience with either of these lights, I am looking for a light that I can use outdoors and in general, but in particular while walking my dogs.

-I like the battery life (12 hours) and durability that I have heard about in the SF g2, but I am worried that the beam may be too focused. (true?)

-I have read that the spill is better and the light is more natural in the Inova, but I am concerned with the 5 hour battery life.

would the g2 have a usable spill while outside on a walk or is the beam very focused?

steveG

Enlightened
I think you'd be happy with either. The T1 is smaller and easier to carry and fish out of a pocket. The G2 has a lot of drop-in LED modules.

youreacrab

Enlightened
the t1's 5 hour battery life is at or near full brightness. good luck if you see that out of the g2l for 12 (or even 5?). g2 w/malkoff m60wlf would be the most apples-to-apples comparison to the inova t1. t1 is not flood. its a wide spill with a hotspot.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with either of these lights, I am looking for a light that I can use outdoors and in general, but in particular while walking my dogs.

-I like the battery life (12 hours) and durability that I have heard about in the SF g2, but I am worried that the beam may be too focused. (true?)

-I have read that the spill is better and the light is more natural in the Inova, but I am concerned with the 5 hour battery life.

would the g2 have a usable spill while outside on a walk or is the beam very focused?

The G2L has plenty of spill so I don't think that will be a problem.I have a G2L and a couple INOVA T1s and I greatly prefer the INOVAs.Besides the fact that they are a little smaller my T1s have very warm tints compared to the cool tint of the G2L.I find that the warmer tints render details better than cool tints outdoors.If your not concerned with tints the G2 is the closest to "failproof" with it's tactical twisty switch.The T1 is a better value though IMO, at about $50 and is an excellent light.
FWIW, I often carry my T1 in my coat pocket while the G2L sits at home rarely used.The G2 incandescent gets more use from me than the G2L LED.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
No experience with the Inova, but both G2L's that I've handled were a bit bluish in tint, and the 12 hour runtime is bordering on fantasy, as others have noted. However, the Malkoff upgrades for the G2 make it a fantastic light which just can't be beat, IMO.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the durability of the two, they're both nearly indestructable lights. Inova's are built like a tank, and the Nitrolon SF's are almost impossible to damage. I personally prefer an aluminum bodied light over a plastic one, but to each his own. The plastic of course is more pleasing to hold outdoors in the cold without gloves though as opposed to a metal light.

outersquare

Enlightened
i have the 2008 T1, 6PDL and G2

the T1 is cheaper, better tint and probably better real world runtime

output about the same, P60L module has slightly brighter hotspot, but that is because hotspot tighter/smaller.

the only advantage i can see to the G2, it is upgradeable, but you have to spend even more to change anything.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently put my G2L back in the "rotation" after the addition of a warm tinted Malkoff M60WL drop-in.The warm tinted Malkoff has some advantages over the INOVA T1 but it also costs more.I am still using my T1 as well and that is not likely to change anytime soon.The G2L would remain unused if it still had the standard LED lamp it is just too cool tinted for me.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Inova would be my choice if I wasn't going to drop $120 on a G2L + Malkoff. Even then, it'd still be a serious contender.

If you really really want a twisty, the XO tailcaps will interchange with the T1 and T2.

Latest posts