Type III Hard Anodized?

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I know it means the metal is treated to be extra hard, by the name it sounds like it is some sort of electrolysis process. I use the term as if I knew what it meant, but I really don't.

Can anybody provide a more technical [or corrected] definition? Are there type I HA and type II HA? If so what exactly are the difference?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a site on type II anodizing done at home. The beginning paragraph states the difference in Type III hard anodize which is the mil-spec process and also confirms that type III is typically only availiable dyed dark green and black (it is available natural also which means no dye is added to the process). I believe it has to do with the way the other colored dyes react to the type III process (cold bath, higher current makes the surface thicker and tougher).

Anodizing

I hope this helps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Later,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Thanx TSG,

I read the whole thing, but the first paragraph sumarizes everything pretty well for anybody that doesn't have the time or interest.

paulr

Flashaholic
Wow, the guy mentions a home-built CNC lathe. I want one of those. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif