SSC P7

EricR

Newly Enlightened
Hi this is my first post to the forum - sorry if it is redundant.

I'm looking for a refleector for the SSC-P7 led with a max diameter of ~1" and a tight focus of <6 degrees for an underwater light head conversion.

Thank You

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
You won't find it. It's impossible to focus multi-die emitter so tight with so small reflector/optics.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one makes such a beast. Perhaps it would be possible with a custom made deep (long) reflector, but don't expect any miracles. It won't be easy to find someone willing to make a one off item like that.

EricR

Newly Enlightened
Thank you ! It looks like I need to start over . My goal is a tightly focused LED ~500Lumens to replace a 10W solarc HID.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really tall order, I doubt there will be any truely suitable leds for that task for a year or more. If it were just output it wouldn't be much of an issue, but LEDs are power limited so you can't just drive the small ones hard enough, and larger quad die LEDs with appropriate output are about impossible to focus without a large (2+inch) reflector. One thing you may be able to do that I didn't think of is an aspheric lens. The throw with a simple aspheric lens can be unreal, almost laser like with a single die cree LED. It can be done with a P7 as well but due to the light loss (very hard to get all the light from the P7 directed through an appropriate focal length aspheric) may prove less effective than desired.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, EricR.

A similar requirement to yours was discussed in this thread, and Packhorse has done a very interesting modification incorporating an aspheric lens, as described in this thread.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
R2's can get near to 500 lumens properly cooled. See this post. With correctly designed heatsinking and using the water cooling, I reckon it's doable. However, you will lose most the efficiency advantages of LED's running it that hard.

Last edited:

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
No it cannot. XR-E has its limit @ about 2,4-2,6A and it's ~450lm. More current than 2,6A won't give higher brightness.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gah, I missed the word "near" from that post. Must be more tired than I think >.<

Fixed.