turbohead for 6p?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Hey guys, as some of you know Im still in school and in my spare time I work on the family farm, needless to say I dont get paid for my work here at home so I was wondering about a low cost trubohead to go on my 6P (actually a 660 I got in the christmas giveaway but it has 6P sized threads) I cant afford the surefire turbo head converson kit but something from solarforce or G&P would be great, Ive searched high and low but cant find anything

Any help would be greatly appreciated:twothumbs

Daniel Coble

Size15's

Flashaholic
I really appreciate the link but Im looking for something with 2" or 2.5" head to really focus the light for long distances

Daniel
SureFire TurboHeads don't 'really focus the light for long distances' - SureFire TurboHeads are designed to illuminate targets at distances that rifle and long gun users find they typically engage at in low light / no light situations (which is less far then I thought, perhaps due to tv and movies painting unrealistic performances and scenarios).

Secondly, the N1 Lamp Assembly is the same output as the P60 - 65 lumens doesn't go (travel) very far even when more tightly focused.
For longer range illumination [than a standard SureFire] my experience is that three SF123A batteries and the MN15 lamp is about minimum. In fact I just use an M6 with MN20 because, well, it's better.

Al

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Well it is going on my rifle, I am getting some IMR cells for Christmas so the KT2 head would be nice....Would using 3 IMR cells work with the M6 HOLA?

Size15's

Flashaholic
There is a reason why SureFire doesn't offer a two-SF123A TurboHead WeaponLight - just the M97 - over 100 lumens is the minimum for use with rifles.

I am nervous about suggesting that a non-Shock Isolated TurboHead will be suitable for use on a rifle. At least you're hosting the KT2 on a 660 WeaponLight body so it will afford the TurboHead Lamp Assembly some protection.

As for aftermarket rechargeable batteries etc - there are plenty of people here on CPF far better to help you with this.

Al

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not use 3 rechargable cells on the M21 lamp. It either won't work, last 5 seconds, or blow up in your hands ( a little bit extreme.)

I think the M21 draws somewhere in the range of 4-5 amps? Where rechargables cells can output 1-1.5 amps?

Well it is going on my rifle, I am getting some IMR cells for Christmas so the KT2 head would be nice....Would using 3 IMR cells work with the M6 HOLA?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
Hmm, good point about it not being shock isolated, I dont think it would be a problem on my .22 =] seriously though the 660 resides on my .22 most of the time and is ocasionally mounted on the M1 Carbine, which has very little recoil

Thank you for all your advice, hopefully we can figure this one out together

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
IMR cells are good for up to 8 amp draw IIRC, and they are a safe chemestry so no explosions or venting with flames....I just dont know if it will liight up the MN 21 (thats the HOLA for M6 right?)

I know that 3 IMR 16340s will light up a WA 1185 so their pretty stout cells

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the HOLA for the M6 is the MN21. 500 lumens is what they say is put out by the light but on fresh cells, its more in the area of 650-700.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204157

If you do get the KT head (I don't believe anyone else except surefire has a turbo head option in the 2-2.5" range. It seems safe to run one of the 9V SF bulbs (N2, MN15, MN16.)

This almost tempts me to stick my P91 in my 6P and run it off two of those cells for "wow" factor but ti wouldn't really be practical due to run time.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
yea some people have already done that with the P91 and IMR 16340s the runtime is in the 10 min range (which isnt all that bad when you consider that the P91 on primaries is only good for 20 min.)

Size 15's whats the input voltage for the MN21 and what can It be overdriven to?
I seem to remember the M6 is 3S2P so it is a 9V lamp assembly right?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Size 15's whats the input voltage for the MN21 and what can It be overdriven to?
I seem to remember the M6 is 3S2P so it is a 9V lamp assembly right?
There are plenty of threads about the M6 (and it's lamps) and which aftermarket rechargeable battery solutions work in the incandescents forum

nzgunnie

Enlightened
You might want to consider the MN16 on two IMR cells. Without going to a 3 cell weapon light, it's probably your best bet.

I don't know how well the shock isolation (or lack of) will work for you though.