LED color question

mattz357

Newly Enlightened
This is THE typical type of question you would expect to hear from a newbie, but I'm anxious to learn more about lights and especially LEDs. I am partial to white LEDs but I see a lot of people like blue, green, red, turquoise and other colors. I know certain colors have advantages for hunting and other specific purposes, but what is the basis for everyone's like for the other colors? Thanks in advance!!!

Blikbok

Enlightened
Despite all the scientific data, I just find the Blue-green to suit my eyes well. I wonder if I would have gotten yellow or red or orange first if it would have become my favorite. I knew I didn't like pure green or blue, so I chose blue-green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
White allows for color discrimination of what is viewed.

Other colors enable lesser to monochromatic color discrimination.

Ultra Violet "UV" or Near Ultra Violet "NUV"LEDs give a black light effect that causes some items to fluoresce.

Personally I like white to see with discrimination, a single red Infinity for night vision preservation (I am partially red-green color blind so I am not a good example), and NUV for black light effects.

I had a bright X5T blue that didn't float my boat so I traded it to Matt. I did find that this light made items on the floor or ground which differed from the primary surface stand out much more. The standing out was from a greater brightness or lack therof in monochromatic blue.

I like the 532 nM green of a green laser, but I sure don't like puke green 1W luxeons.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
In most circumstances during the day, I favor white LED light, but will use other colors if they're provided for review.

For really late night, I prefer red over all the other colors, but will use whatever is handy at the moment if I don't have any other choise in the matter. Usually, that's white, though sometimes I'll grab cyan. I'll shoot them up at the ceiling so as to not totally wreck my night vision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is about preference. Like why some people like hotdogs and other don't. For me, i prefer white leds. The color rendetion they gave is similar to the one on daylight, so you actually see red as red, green as green and blue as blue.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, one person may not have a single favorite. For instance they may use white at night for seeing all the colors/etc as a task light, and maybe red for quick lighting to find something and not wreck their night vision. Then when they need shear brightness they may use a cyan led which is brighter than the white led's of same power to see farther.