LOST MY WALLET!!!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was working out the my local gym, and since I live so close, I don't use their lockers. I guess I was benching and my wallet fell out of my pants. It wasn't until I was working out on another machine that I realized I had lost it. Contents: $180 cash, credit card ( already cancelled ), drivers liscence, and school IDs.

Now the only thing I am worried about is identity theft. Someone using my name to get credit cards. Hope someone turns it in.
The funny thing is, when I lost the $180, all I could think about was ''Damn, I could of bought a M3 with that money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif''

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe some honest person found it and will get it to you.

My housekeeper found one in my complexes driveway about 2 weeks ago and brought it to me. I opened it, recognized the name of one of my neighbors and knocked on her door. She didn't even know that it was missing and it was chock full of credit cards and cash.

Marty

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Conatct the credit bureaus and tell them to place a "fraud hold" on your reports. This SHOULD flag anyone attempting to open a charge account using your personal info. and deny the new credit...

--dan

ewick

Enlightened
I got this in an email a while back...too late to help now, but it might help avoid trouble in the future:

"The next time you order checks have only your initials (instead of first name) and last name put on them. If someone takes your checkbook they will not know if you sign your checks with just your initials or your first name but your bank will know how you sign your checks.

Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address, if you do not have a PO Box use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks -- you can add it if it is necessary. But if you have it printed, anyone can get it.

Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine, do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.

A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company. I pass it along, for your information.

We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a name, address, Social Security number, credit cards, etc.

Unfortunately I, an attorney, have firsthand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieves) ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.

But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

We have been told we should cancel your credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them easily.

File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important:

Call the three national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and Social Security number.

I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name. The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit.

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done.

There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them in their tracks.

The numbers are:

Equifax: 1-800-525-6285

Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742

Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289

Social Security Administration (fraud line): 1-800-269-0271"