Who is actually afraid this will happen?

ruriimasu

Enlightened
For those of you here who's spouse or GF/BF is a non flasholic and knows nothing about flash lights. Do you worry your SO will buy you a light this Christmas or on your birthday and expects you to use/carry it as a main EDC light, only that the light's performance is nothing compared to your EDC? And that you can't bear to modify it or not use it as a main EDC cos it will seem like a disrespect for her good intention? :eek:oo:

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone who knows I likes flashlights also knows I'm very picky about them and knows better than to try to buy me one. :p

Plus they all think I have too many lights, so there's about zero chance of your scenario happening. :crackup:

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Anyone who knows I likes flashlights also knows I'm very picky about them and knows better than to try to buy me one. :p
Same here my wife knows there is nothing available here in the shops that I would be happy with.
Norm

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I dunno' my wife recently purchased one of those Maglite 3D/2AA packs for me that were on sale in Coles (Vic) I'm more than happy with it, I just can't decide which MOD to perform on either light host! :thinking:

Anyone seen those AA 80Lm, rear forward clicky, aluminium chassis, XRE Cree lights on sale in Jaycar? I wouldn't scoff at one of those from Santa nor one of their in-house 35w HID spotlights! :D

Perhaps you're just too darn fussy Norm? :p

ruriimasu

Enlightened
Oh, I dunno' my wife recently purchased one of those Maglite 3D/2AA packs for me that were on sale in Coles (Vic) I'm more than happy with it, I just can't decide which MOD to perform on either light host! :thinking:

what IF you shouldn't perform any mod on it out of respect for him/her?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is already complaining that I have too many flashlights (and I don't think I'm a flashaholic - denial???) so there's no chance of her getting me a cheapo light. The kids or my coworkers might, though.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luckily, my fiancée is a flashaholic herself (she EDC's an EX10 and keeps her 6PL in her car), so she would have good taste if she were to surprise me with a new light for Christmas. :)

Robert

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife says that I have enough flashlights, although she does like the look of the various L2 knockoffs.

She knows I'm picky about my lights and the few high quality lights I would like that are available here are too expensive by my own admission.

The only one she might clue into that I wouldn't mind having another one of would be the 2xAA Rayovac Sportman Xtreme light.
I keep one on my desk along with 13 other lights - I don't have a problem, nope not me :D

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you here who's spouse or GF/BF is a non flasholic and knows nothing about flash lights. Do you worry your SO will buy you a light this Christmas or on your birthday and expects you to use/carry it as a main EDC light, only that the light's performance is nothing compared to your EDC? And that you can't bear to modify it or not use it as a main EDC cos it will seem like a disrespect for her good intention? :eek:oo:

You could always EDC it along with other EDC's of your choosing, then use her gift light only when she's around. Then you have your own proper EDC for all the other times. Of course, you could always use the gift light around her when it "just happens to go bad" in one way or another. Then you might get a subtle hint across to them.

This is very similar to what I did for my wife. Not only did she "see the light", but she now EDC's a SF E1B, a E2D, and two E1e's in both of her handbags. When she saw how regular lights are just rubbish, she now appreciates the quality, reliability and brightness of real lights.:thumbsup:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a concern, everyone around here knows better than to buy me anything. I'm very picky about most of what I buy and you won't find a drawer full of useless crap at my house, much less an entire garage or attic full like most people seem to have. My sentimental values didn't get wired up when I was in the womb so if I won't use an item then I don't keep it. The only person who has been able to regularly get me something I like and want that I never thought of, or never would have bought for myself if I had thought of it, is my wife. That's no surprise; she knows me better than I know myself. The closest everyone else gets is ammo or a gift certificate to Jegs or OMB Express.

:buddies:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I think a tactful way to handle this situation would be to consider it as a modding host and thank him or her for picking such a great host! :kiss: Then mod it, of course.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've always tried to make it clear to my wife that I need to be the one to pick out any gadget or gizmo, just as she will buy her own clothing. I'm a little concerned my son could get me a light, but I think he knows better.

Geoff

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Wendy knows better!

However my family does not and that's when I hunt all of CPF for a suitable mod to make it at least useable.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's happened to me three times, but I don't mind. They came from family, so no big deal. They would all have to change their undies if they had any idea how much the lights I buy cost!
It's almost like giving a Corvette enthusiast a Cobalt, though. It kind of makes me laugh.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
No worries here. Wife and most family know of my main interests. Since we don't do gift exchanges on agreement, this saves all of us from a non-useful item.

worldedit

Enlightened
The trick is to let people know what you want for christmas. I cant wait to unwrap my Multiplex easy glider pro in tow days ;)

Illum

Flashaholic
man it up and just EDC it, or if you really find it so repelling you cannot stand the sight, sound, smell, texture of it...then EDC it only under their presence.

I'm sure by now you have at least familiarized with the schedules of your spouse or GF/BF. If they do come in early and didn't see your EDC and [rarely does] asks if you have it, be honest and say its in another pair of pants/on the shelf/on your table/forget in the car...etc.

theres nothing better than starting a new year with some honesty and cooperation for a change :grin2:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I overheard my wife talking to her mother on the phone a month or so back. My mother-in-law is aware that flashlights are a hobby of mine, and it sounded like she was asking my wife if a particular light was a good gift idea. My wife responded with something to the effect of "Mom, even I woundn't consider getting him a light unless I knew exactly what he wanted".

My parents surprised me with a Surefire 8NX for my birthday a few years back. They certainly could have done worse. I used it a little, but there was a reason why it was the least appealing light to me in the Surefire catalog.