E2D LED

PartisonConfederate

Newly Enlightened
I have the E2D LED flashlight (Its a surefire) and was wondering how to make it stronger? Which battery should I choose and which lamp is the best to get? Also, where would you buy these products? Thank you so much for your help.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF !! :wave:

The E2DL cannot be made stronger. It does not use a "lamp", instead the head is a sealed LED head that does what is does.

The light is made for 2xCR123 batteries, and I'd use it with those. I am unsure wether the driver can handle more voltage of 2 x Li-Ion and how it behaves with 1 x Li-Ion. Others will have to chime in.

As to buying SF products ... depends where you are located.

bernie

PartisonConfederate

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help. Compaired to others, how would you compair the E2D LED? ie, battery life, Lumens, weight, thanks.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
As I have mainly SF and McGizmo lights I don't have much to compare it to.

It is quite small, lightweight, throws like hell and is bright. It uses the most effective optic today IMHO, it makes the most use of every photon compared to other photon management systems.

There are brighter lights out there. They run not as long. There are longer running lights out there. They are not as bright. Etc. ... you get the idea.

It is all about compromise, and everyone has to respect the laws of physics.

That said, the E2DL delivers for the money. It delivers one of the best beams in that class of light and the highest quality you can get in a factory produced light.

bernie

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on what Bernie said... The E2DL is worth every penny of what you pay for it. Just be careful with the crenelated bezel. The "teeth" of the bezel can bite you as they are quite aggressive.

ugrey

Enlightened
Partison Confederate, Welcome to CPF. The LED in your E2D is pretty much state of the art for a commercial company to produce. Milkyspit on this board may be able to put a brighter LED in it for you. I hear he does great work, but it is not cheap. I remember when all that was available, in the size of your E2D LED, was an incandescent E2e at 60 lumens. Then the L4 LED came out at 65 lumens, but it was a wall of light with no throw. Then SueFire managed to squeeze out 100 lumens out of it, still with no throw. Now we have 120 lumens with great throw. I am sure in 2 or 3 years we will have 200 lumens. Just wait.

I carry an E2e with a KX2C head everyday. The KX2C head is the same as yours without the teeth. They are GREAT EDC lights, small and bright with good runtime.

By the way, I am a good old Rebel too. God bless Jeff Davis and the Southern Confederacy.

carrot

Flashaholic
If for some reason you need your E2D to be brighter you should contact MilkySpit. It won't come cheap or in a very timely fashion, but it is WORTH IT. I have an E1L (shorter version of your light, essentially) that puts out 220 lumens out the front on one battery. Of course, runtime is horrendous but it's not like it wasn't expected.

Last edited:

PartisonConfederate

Newly Enlightened
Thank yall so much for the great welcome and for all of your help. I really learned alot from just this one topic.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Whenever i feel that one of my lights should be brighter i just take out my Garrity 2D out of the closit.

Blow the dust off it,turn it on and compare it to my real lights.

Really makes me appreciate my illumination tools:D

Enjoy the beam.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
Thank yall so much for the great welcome and for all of your help. I really learned alot from just this one topic.

:welcome:Thank YOU, PartisonConfederate for posting! :welcome:

I'm 100% certain that you'll love the living h*ll out of your new SureFire E2DL. Bernie summed-up the torch's top-quality attributes to a "T". Ditto Socom1970 - and be certain to heed his caveat surrounding its crenelated bezel. :faint:

It's my new go-to light. It's a safe bet it'll be yours, too. :thumbsup:

Take care and the very best of luck with your new E2DL! :twothumbs

-Clive

Last edited:

MaineChuck

Newly Enlightened
I am also new to CPF, stumbled on to it researching led lights. I just ordered a E2DL. How does the bezel "bite"? In a pants pocket? Should it be carried in a holster?
By the by, this is a great site!

cruisemissile

Enlightened
I just got a regular E2 Defender and like it alot and wanted to upgrade to LED.
One question for anyone- does the E2D LED have a smooth beam, or does it have a "clover leaf" beam (influenced by the shaped bezel?)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
Every time I hear someone say that the bezel tears the pocket I laugh, I have never had this happen and I have been carrying lights with crenelated bezel for a long while.

cruisemissile, the side spill of the E2DL is not very intense and the clover leaf pattern is not that noticable, the main beam of the light is like a lazer and rivals the output of a lot of other lights.

1996alnl

Enlightened
If anyone wants to get rid of the clover leaf beam,make their light a bit smaller and more comfortable to handle?

Just grind down the teeth to make it look like all the other E series lights.

Last edited:

EasySt

Newly Enlightened
I just gave six E2D LED Defenders and Six E1B Backups to friends and family for Christmas. I switched the crenelated tail caps on the Defenders with the smooth tail caps from the E1Bs, making all the E1Bs tail standing but still pocket friendly, and the Defenders easier on pocket carry.

To soften the Defenders Crenelated Bezels and to further enhance their functionality and pocket friendliness, I equipped all of the E2DLs with F04 Beam Diffuser caps. The beam diffusers, combined with the 120 lumens of the E2DLs make for a truly superior close area flood, and it can be easily slipped off to unleash the remarkable throw these lights are capable of.

Here is a pic I took to demonstrate the changes:

3131830458_db2ec0ddf3_o.jpg

Left to right, top to bottom:
E1B with E2DL tail cap, E1B unmodified, E2DL with E1B tail cap and F04 beam diffuser(and a couple o-rings next to the tail cap for grip improvement), E2DL unmodified, my U2 with a few added o-rings, and a hybrid SureFire spares carrier that holds NOT the normal six CR123As of an SC1 or SC2, but a much more karmic seven cells, rattle free. (You can make your own by using the cap from an SC2 on the base of an SC1.) :thumbsup:

3141892446_f016c8f027_o.jpg

LumenMan

Enlightened
I just gave six E2D LED Defenders and Six E1B Backups to friends and family for Christmas. I switched the crenelated tail caps on the Defenders with the smooth tail caps from the E1Bs, making all the E1Bs tail standing but still pocket friendly, and the Defenders easier on pocket carry.

To soften the Defenders Crenelated Bezels and to further enhance their functionality and pocket friendliness, I equipped all of the E2DLs with F04 Beam Diffuser caps. The beam diffusers, combined with the 120 lumens of the E2DLs make for a truly superior close area flood, and it can be easily slipped off to unleash the remarkable throw these lights are capable of.

Here is a pic I took to demonstrate the changes:

3131830458_db2ec0ddf3_o.jpg

Left to right, top to bottom:
E1B with E2DL tail cap, E1B unmodified, E2DL with E1B tail cap and F04 beam diffuser(and a couple o-rings next to the tail cap for grip improvement), E2DL unmodified, my U2 with a few added o-rings, and a hybrid SureFire spares carrier that holds NOT the normal six CR123As of an SC1 or SC2, but a much more karmic seven cells, rattle free. (You can make your own by using the cap from an SC2 on the base of an SC1.) :thumbsup:

3141892446_f016c8f027_o.jpg

Can I be your friend ?! :wave::D:kiss::):thumbsup::grouphug:

ja10

Enlightened
I have the E2D LED flashlight (Its a surefire) and was wondering how to make it stronger? Which battery should I choose and which lamp is the best to get? Also, where would you buy these products? Thank you so much for your help.

SureFire makes great lights. Being that your E2DL is an LED, you'll break before it does :)

If you are interested in running rechargeable batteries, I run my E2DL with 2 RCR123s, or 1 RCR123 with an E1L single cell body. The only downside is that the low mode on the E2DL is brighter with the added voltage.

You made a great decision on the light. It isn't a "do everything" light, but it does what it was made to do very well. It is certainly a great light to have for those times when you want a little bit more reach but still want the light to slide into your front pocket.

1996alnl

Enlightened
You made a great decision on the light. It isn't a "do everything" light, but it does what it was made to do very well.

The E2DL with a F04 beam diffuser will turn into a "do everything" light.

If i had to choose only one light or recommend only one light to a non flashoholic this combo would be it.

It's basicaly two lights in one.
With the F04 i can light up my entire backyard (70ftx32ft) with clarity nevermind the aversge size room.
And if i feel like lighting up the neighbours shed ten houses down i can do that too.

The low setting with the F04 is perfect for close up use.
Exellent light,i hope Surefire never stops producing the TIR optic.

Arkiv N

Newly Enlightened
Can the clip be removed on a E2DL? Pretty sure it's possible, just want to know for sure.