Tire Chains & Alternatives

CLHC

Flashaholic
It's been cold out this time around and snowing in parts of the U.S. that we're hearing/seeing on the news. Here in the Washington it's been icy and snowing. Now here's my question regarding tire/snow chains for those that experience these routine annually. . .

What tire chains or alternatives do you use? Right now since this is a first for me, I'm using the Z-Chains. Any of you experience other chains or snow products for your tires designd to aid in traction such as:

< FlexTrax >

< SnoBootz >

< Spikes-Spiders >

My only experience is that SCC Z-Chain and just heard about the other alternatives as stated above. Even though with some sort of tire contraption device and for 4x4s, I still see people slip and slide around some.

Resqueline

Newly Enlightened
You'll only want to use these devices if you get stuck (or know you will). Be sure to get real good reputed winter tires and the need for extra's will be minimal. Driving style is also very important! Only time I got stuck and needed to use similar devices would be in 12-15" of snow.
I wouldn't recommend the FlexTrax as it seems to be applied only on one spot of the wheel. The Z-chains you have sounds good for extreme conditions, and proper tires should take care of the rest (along with observation, caution, intelligence, understanding of physical laws, & experience).
If you have a rear wheel drive you might want to add some extra weight back there.
Unplanned/uncontrolled slipping & sliding in a 4x4 is a sign of bad tires and/or bad driving.

mechBgon

Enlightened
Also remember that no traction device will be enough if your car high-centers on deep snow, so don't get overconfident and tackle something too deep for your car's ground clearance.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's best to just stick with studded winter tires, and if they aren't enough, you probably should turn back.

CLHC

Flashaholic
Thanks for the response! Yes, I keep my distance and stay at or under 30 mph IF I have to EVEN be out on the road for whatever reason.

Stay safe out there!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry old style chains with me for emergency use. Have had to use them once only after an ice storm. In winter I put two sheets of 3/4" plywood in the bed of my Sierra 2500 4 wheeler and layer sand bags and bags of rock salt between them for added weight. This way I can still use my box easily and have added weight (approx 500 lbs) plus traction materials for emergecy needs which I often need, especially up north to the cabin in winter.