ready made 6d p7 light on dx!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of course they had to go and slap "police" on the side of it...
In my opinion, that is about the tackiest thing you can do. I really don't understand why they do this.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
A: I don't think that the module will drop in and work with that flashlight at all. :poof:

B: I wouldn't trust that P7 module to run for more than 2 minutes in whatever you put it in. Its from DX. :shakehead

C: Waste of time and money. :thumbsdow

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a little more, you could get a brand new 3d maglite and a Malkoff ssc P4 dropin. It probably wouldn't be as bright, but you would get an adjustable beam with a real hotspot, and it wouldn't break in 5 minutes.

I have been trying to snag a malkoff for my maglite, but they are never in stock long enough...

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally, someone actually knows what it is from! Half the people I encounter think it is from "Halo" or some other video game that happens to have something named "mjolnir" in it...

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could tease you by asking if it's from the spaceship in X3, but I too know the origin :p

Anyway, I heartily disagree on the "it's from DX = will last five minutes" point of view. The only reason why I wouldn't do what you want to (aside from different light needs) is that that module is on the expensive side. I also doubt it's driven at its full 2800mA power; since the heatsink is so small, I think the LED gets underdriven - and at that point you might just get the 1x18650 Trustfire TR-C2: it costs less than the module alone.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could tease you by asking if it's from the spaceship in X3, but I too know the origin :p

Anyway, I heartily disagree on the "it's from DX = will last five minutes" point of view. The only reason why I wouldn't do what you want to (aside from different light needs) is that that module is on the expensive side. I also doubt it's driven at its full 2800mA power; since the heatsink is so small, I think the LED gets underdriven - and at that point you might just get the 1x18650 Trustfire TR-C2: it costs less than the module alone.

+1 on that....just because it's from DX doesn't automatically make it crap (elitist atitudes/points of view are never constructive or useful IMO). This setup won't work. While I'm sure the DX P7 dropin module could be made to work in some sort of mod, but you would have to make sure that it gets some sort of thermal contact with the body...even so, P7s generate so much heat that it probably won't be too reliable. The best way to go about doing a P7 Mag mod is with a proper heatsink as shown by many here who have already built one.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that not everything from DX is bad. I have an ultrafire light. It works and won't likely fail easily, but as far as quality and machining goes, there is a lot to be desired. The threads don't really fit well, the battery doesn't quite fit right, and the screws that attach the clip go straight through the body (which means there is a hole in it if I remove the clip, which makes it not waterproof).
The ultrafire/trustfire/whateverfire lights are decent, but that doesn't mean that this "police" light is. If there IS a problem with the light, there is nothing you can do about it, since there is not really anyway to find out who actually made it. Obviously it won't break in 5 minutes, but it won't last as long as a real relable brand flashlight.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy a 4-6d Maglite from just about anywhere for under $20. Next buy a Terralux tle-300 for about $60. For under $90 total including shipping for the module you will have a reliable and bright light from manufactures that stick behind their product.The extra $40 dollars spent over the dx stuff is well spent on piece of mind.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
i dont mean to bash a product but i'm not a fan of tle-300 (greatly greatly reserved what i really wanted to say). i dont like the beam pattern and its not as efficent as a seoul anyways. thanks but no thanks.

too bad this wont work out well. a ready 6d p7 setup would be awesome, maglite or not. i cant wait to build my p7 mag.

mrQQ

Enlightened
B: I wouldn't trust that P7 module to run for more than 2 minutes in whatever you put it in. Its from DX. :shakehead

C: Waste of time and money. :thumbsdow

That is REALLY short sighted. I have.. *counts*.. 7 flashlights from DX, and all of them work without any problems. In fact, the single flashlight that is giving me problems is.. Fenix!

I've noticed this numerous times, that this forum really budget lights. They might have some QA issues, but in general, they are very very worthy contenders - imho.

naked2

Enlightened
I have this dropin, and yes it's underdriven @ 1.25A, but it "drops right in", or actually I should say it "screws right in" to an UltraFire WF-500. The front of the reflector (edge) is threaded, and screws into the bezel, bezel screws onto the head, and the head screws into the body, thus giving great thermal conductivity.

It's the brightest LED light I have, with a surprisingly (relative to P7) small hotspot that actually throws almost as far as my Tiablo A9, but lighting up a much larger area.

The WF-500 without its extension takes 2x 18500, and runs 80 mins. with this module. With the extension and 2x 18650, it runs 2 hours; not bad!

Forget the Police light, but for someone who already has a WF-500, this module is a very good turn-key P7 option.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
a bit OT, as I don't have any first hand experience with either of those SKUs.

I have an 11836 that has been dropped countless times in my 6P host. Once hard enough to dent the bezel and crack the pyrex:(. The 11836 has taken the abuse like a champ. From a durability and drop-impact standpoint I'd put the 11836/6P tandem up against anything in the 2xCR123 format.:thumbsup:

I have completely trashed my RC-N3-Q5, its seen more drops and abuse than the 11836. It has the dents, gouges and dings to prove it. Yet its still going strong and is my daily EDC work light. Mine was bought from shiningbeam, but DX sells the P4 version.

DX does have some reliable, durable, well made products, despite what many forum elite-ists want you to believe.

Last edited:

worldedit

Enlightened
I tried to order the 2D version. After 2 month of backorder i asked for a refund. :shakehead

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 25 bucks you can buy a REAL 6D maglite that will probably be more durable than a generic DX light.

Again, its not really the durability of the DX lights, but rather the quality. Its really luck of the draw if you get a light with a centered LED or not, or one without cosmetic defects.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Centered LEDs and cosmetic defects are things one only cares about when one can afford to. For cash-strapped flashaholics aesthetically deficient lights with offcentered emitters and a low price can be a boon. :)