Lots of snow+extra parts = Modding fun(Dollar store lanterns)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toronto was recently hit with 2 huge snow falls in a 3 day period. While the city starts cleaning up after the snow falls it's best to stay indoors and keep off the roads(especially when it's a weekend, snow + people who can't drive = not a good thing).

What do you do when you're home and start to borderline "cabin fever" why you mod of course. This is different from my usual "Mod" or emitter swaps involving expensive hosts.

Lets start with our unsuspecting hosts. These are from the dollar store that I picked up a while ago. Left one uses 3AA and had a 3V bulb. Right one is 2AA and also had a 3V bulb.

Some pics of them in action.

What the left one looks like under the hood. It's 6 3mm LEDs (10,000mcd IIRC from ebay). I had 50 laying around. So I figured I put them to use. It has no resistor so it will suck the all the juice out of the 3AAs. Each LED is seeing about 33.33mA on fresh Alks (total draw is around 250mA dropping with voltage). The LEDs are wired in Parallel. I added a sheet of lined paper on the inside of the diffuser to help reduce glare to reduce the thickness of the paper and remove the lines I ran it under the sink. I also cut each LED to help diffuse it.

That's right that's a 2 Cell SMJ module. It's got an extremely long runtime works extremely well with the stock diffuser. I highly recommend this mod if you want to give your kids something fun to play with. The cost of the module (I Think it was $12 when I got it and a Dollar host).

The goal of these mods was to have a decent amount of light for a long long long time. Also every step involved was all about killing time and keeping my sanity, from the mod, the pics to this post every step.

Note: Both lights are running on Dead AAs which won't power anything else.

Last edited: