6 months HEAVY usage update of Nitecore D10 Q5

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been on here for a few months. A business that I run was hit hard by the recent economic crisis and I have been working 80+ hours a week trying to keep it afloat, and things seem to finally be getting better.

That said, I wanted to give an update on my Nitecore D10 lights. I have bought 5 of these lights since June of this year when they were introduced.

I have gifted 3 of the lights, and use 2 of the remaining lights regularly.

The very 1st NiteCore D10 Q5 that I bought in late June is the most heavily used and abused flashlight. I carry it with me everywhere I go, and that has included very hot climates and freezing climates. I am never without it. It has gone through dozens and dozens of cycles of eneloops.

The verdict? This light is BULLET-PROOF. I have not done a single thing to maintain it. It still uses the original lube - yup, I was too lazy to wipe off the original lube, so it is still working as exactly the same shape that I received it from 4Sevens. It has taken numerous falls and tosses, and aside from the cosmetic ding here and there, it is still physically perfect.

The light is still as bright as when I first got it, and still shocks every time I turn it to max. It is the most useful light I have ever used, bar none. My Fenix L2D and L1D Q5 lights rarely get used. I am actually gifting my Fenix lights for Xmas. None of the 5 NiteCore D10's I have purchased has ever had a single problem.

This light takes many lickings and keep on ticking. I keep hoping that I would break it and be forced to buy a new, improved light, but that is not happening. I still check 4seven's site every once in awhile to see if a new light will dethrone this light as the ultimate 1AA light, but nope, nothing so far.

So after 6 months heavy daily usage (and some torture), I gotta say my NiteCore D10 Q5 is still working like the day I got it. Big props to such a fantastic light!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Happy Holidays all and I'll check back in, in a few months to see if any new 1AA lights come remotely close to dethroning my beloved NiteCore D10...

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had no problems with mine either, and I feel the same way. :twothumbs

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear things have been a little too busy, but glad to hear things seem to be looking up. Have been away for awhile also.

Sounds like you have been getting a lot of use out of those Nitecore's.
Thanks for the feedback, they make a great light.

Happy Holidays down there:party:.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Mine is doing very well too after receiving one of the first ones shipped by 7777. Yesterday was the first time I ever re-lubed the threads. It is certainly the most fun of all the flashlights I have. . .

chanamasala

Enlightened
I've had mine for about a month and feel the same way about it. It's awesome. Total quality. It's nice to possess something of such high merit without having to be rich.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I feel the same way about my EX10, it's become my EDC since I received it, awesome to say the least. I do have a new D10 on stand-by just in case. The only thing I don't like about mine is when it runs out of juice, it just dies with no warning, never when I'm actually using it, only the next time I need it is when she goes:poof: Does the same thing happen with the D10's?

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
What a timely post. I've just about decided to buy a nitecore d10. Probably gonna get the cree version and the pocket clip.

--Matt

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way about my EX10, it's become my EDC since I received it, awesome to say the least. I do have a new D10 on stand-by just in case. The only thing I don't like about mine is when it runs out of juice, it just dies with no warning, never when I'm actually using it, only the next time I need it is when she goes:poof: Does the same thing happen with the D10's?

On the D10 when the voltage starts dropping so does the brightness, you can use that as a warning to replace the cell. LED-holic glad your D10 is serving you well, i should have gotten another maybe for the new year.

Last edited:

tempman

Newly Enlightened
Can you describe the kind of "torture" to which you say it's been subjected?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story... and heres wishing your business sees a better year in 2009..:)

Crenshaw

jblackwood

Enlightened
On the D10 when the voltage starts dropping so does the brightness, you can use that as a warning to replace the cell. LED-holic glad your D10 is serving you well, i should have gotten another maybe for the new year.

I thought the drop in brightness was all but eliminated since there was regulated brightness? My D10's (I have both Q5 and GDP) both just drop out totally :poof: when the voltage reaches a certain point with no noticable drop in brightness. Preferable, I think, to having two minutes (for example) of 130 lumen goodness and 2 hours more at 90 or less lumens.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can goto 4/7 and buy the clips for yours D10.

So after 6 months heavy daily usage (and some torture), I gotta say my NiteCore D10 Q5 is still working like the day I got it. Big props to such a fantastic light!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using Oxyrides and E2 Liths when that happened, all it did was drop in brightness. When i took out the battery to see if it would power another light it wouldnt. So too me when it drops i just change out the battery or charge it up.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone has the golden dragon version? How are you liking it, and did you also try the Cree version or did you go straight for the GD?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone has the golden dragon version? How are you liking it, and did you also try the Cree version or did you go straight for the GD?

I have the GD version. It doesn't have the Cree rings which is good. But the tint on mine is::barf: Small white centre beam, surrounded by a yellow ring and then a pink/purple spill beam! Easily the worst looking beam in my collection. It looks ok sometimes and terrible at others depending on what colour your surroundings are.

If you shine the light at white bedsheets, they turn a pinky/purple! Your skin is instantly turned purple and you look like your from the planet THOG!:D

If they were available, a warm Cree emitter in a D10 would be an ideal light. The D10 otherwise is a solid light. It seems manufactures are always chasing lumens in these small lights and the warm tint crees just don't measure up.

James....:)

Edit: I just asked my 6 year old son which beam colour he preferred: D10 GD or 6P with Malkoff M60WLF. The answer: D10 GD! When I asked why, he said "Because the D10 GD has more colours like a rainbow". He then changed his mind and said he preferred the 6P's beam because the D10's beam was "a girls colour with all the purple". Enough said.

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh... weird. I have a friend who tried both, but ended up giving the Cree version to his dad, citing the cleaner, whiter beam of the GD as the cause. Methinks you lost the emitter lottery...

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I didn't expect it to happen, but when I got my GDP version my original D10 ended up on the block. The GDP beam is so much smoother and unless (even if) you're looking for white walls the yellow ring and purple flood areas are invisible. In normal usage it is an indispensable light and nothing else has been able to displace my original D10 from my back pocket until I got the D10 GDP!

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
+1
I really like my D10, easily the best most useful light I own. I do like the Fenix LD1 Q5 that my wife now EDC's. But I prefer the D10. I dislike the strobe big time!