What to do with my Fenix LD01 - I got a green tint too !!!

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
I love this light - BUT it has the worst tint of any light I own.

I really dislike the greenish tint - it is noticeable, but even more so when I compare it to any other light I own. I have compared it to over 15 lights (sad I know) and it has the worst tint of any light I have.

I have emailed fenix-store but received a reply that it is within the "white" range. I have also copied the email to 4sevens but have not had a reply over the last several days from either email.

I love this light BUT with its tint I have not replaced my edc keychain light (Fenix LOD) despite the massive increase in brightness - purely because I really dislike green.

I would almost rather pay to have it fixed - but I think it should be a warranty return/replace. I would like my light to be of a true white as many others have experienced, I am not sure how far I should push this as there is a bit of a CREE lottery - but I seemed to have lucked out bad !!!

To me this is a real shame as I have loved my other Fenix lights and the service I previously received from 4sevens.

Cheers
Mark

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
crack it open and swap the emitter. You could stick a 5A in there while you're at it for a really good light :). Chances are that if fenix-store said it's fine, so will 4 sevens as they're run by the same person ;)

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Bordermeister, was this light the SS version or regular? I bought two of the SS and one was a "greeny". I returned that one and ordered a replacement. If the replacement has the same problem, I'll have to get over it I guess. :)

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about this, Bordermeister! Mine too had a green tint to it. Even though I wanted the SS model to be a great light, it wasn't. I sent it back for a refund (not exchange).

Bordermeister

Newly Enlightened
I am thinking of returning as well, just tossing up the cost of returning (international post) as against fixing it myself - (either a Q5 or SSC P4).

Does anyone know if it is a surface mount cree replacement. If it is I don't have a reflow soldering iron to do it.

If I can use a normal soldering iron with fine tip and heat control I think I may change the LED as I have quite a few WC Q5 leds of very nice tint.

Anyone know what is inside?

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

jmw19

Newly Enlightened
I don't know for sure how Fenix placed the emitter in the LD01, but when I swapped the greeny in my P2D, it was just thermal-glued to the heatsink, with wires soldered to the top contacts of the Cree. It made for a very simple swap - the heatsink has a pedestal and "moat" design that centers the LED for you.

The LD01 might require a little emitter trimming, given the size, but once you open the head, you can assess the situation before making any changes.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of returning as well, just tossing up the cost of returning (international post) as against fixing it myself - (either a Q5 or SSC P4).

Does anyone know if it is a surface mount cree replacement. If it is I don't have a reflow soldering iron to do it.

If I can use a normal soldering iron with fine tip and heat control I think I may change the LED as I have quite a few WC Q5 leds of very nice tint.

Anyone know what is inside?

Cheers
Mark

Wait until someone's got the head open first.... me and a few others are currently trying with no success, so it may prove to be impossible :faint:

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
My new LD01b (black) is one of the whitest lights I've ever owned. Since the SS version is a Special Edition did they also change the emitter?

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
no, it's just tint lottery. I suspect complaining of a green tint for LD01's is rather in fashion at the moment as well; I'm surprised I haven't heard any reports about blue tints.