Diaper cream as an illumination source, who knew?

bashk

Newly Enlightened
You know, I thought my kid's *** was glowing in the dark. Who would've guessed?

D-Dog

Enlightened
Joking aside, it definitely looks to have potential although I have to disagree with them when they say white LEDS are costly and do not produce real white... You can pick up a few Crees nowadays in almost any tint you could every want... anyways, what is "real" white? 6000K like sunlight? because I'm fairly sure we have those already... Perhaps the author should travel to a place like CPF first ;)

What is stated in article:
"They are good enough for decoration and for use in traffic lights, but they don't make good reading lights because they are not of a white color that our eyes use best," Liu said. White LEDs on the market now are costly, short-lived and not truly white, the researchers added."

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like all they've ever seen are the older purpley bluish white 5mm leds. My 5a equipped m60wlf is some of the best quality light I've had the pleasure of using (great for reading too :shrug: ). And the nichia 083 (at least going by the numbers and user reports) is some the finest light there is.

Cigarman

Enlightened
I'm thinking that yes, there are LED's that do the trick but how much does a premium quality Nichia cost? $30+ perhaps? Im sure that wont fly for consumer mass production. For us dedicated flash-o-holics its not so bad since we kind of get why producing a natural light spectrum from an LED is difficult.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They are right. The current white LEDs do suck for applications where "natural" light is wanted. The better ones are just appearing now, and those aren't perfect either, and trhey aren't cheap.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, if they can boost lumens/watt or, that remaining the same, color rendering index, then it's something I can get behind.

Yoda, that's a $65 dollar flashlight bulb. It's pushing ... 170 lumens for a M60WF, so you'd need $650 of them to equal a single common hundred-watt incan for room lighting.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a matter of time, just a matter of time :) The leds themselves aren't all that costly, it's the workmanship and engineering to make it a perfect fit as a replacement part. **just did some price checking, the q2-5a in small quantities is 8 dollars or less, mounted to a star** The chinese could put together a complete flashlight with 4 similar leds for 30 bucks. A simple reading lamp would be a pretty easy task. For large scale area and room lighting there's still alot of work to be done. Maybe this new diaper cream tech will be a better replacement for parking lot lights or something :p

Last edited:

D-Dog

Enlightened
Just a matter of time, just a matter of time :) The leds themselves aren't all that costly, it's the workmanship and engineering to make it a perfect fit as a replacement part. **just did some price checking, the q2-5a in small quantities is 8 dollars or less, mounted to a star** The chinese could put together a complete flashlight with 4 similar leds for 30 bucks. A simple reading lamp would be a pretty easy task. For large scale area and room lighting there's still alot of work to be done. Maybe this new diaper cream tech will be a better replacement for parking lot lights or something :p

If there is enough demand, I'm sure it is only a matter of time... just look at how two years ago Crees changed the flashlight world... this year it was the multi-die emitter(or warm-tint LED's)... who knows what will be next