MG RX-1. The new king of throw? A review against Tiablo A8 and Dereelight DBS

ergotelis

Enlightened
I Recently got the MG RX-1 from Shining Beam. This is the second non-brand flashlight i get from there. The first was the famous L-mini,my favorite EDC, so i was expecting something really good to arrive now too.
Its characteristics according to the dealer:

* Features a CREE XR-E Q5 Emitter, silver core
* Up to 248 Lumens on high mode
* This light is designed for maximum throw
* Powered by a single 18650 or 17670
* Voltage input 2.8-4.2V
* 3 Modes: Hi > Mid > Low
* Built in Voltage protection, will cut off at 2.7V
* Boost/buck circuit board.
* 1200 mA on high mode, 300mA on med, and 100 mA on low
* 38,000 lux reading on high mode at ~ 3 feet range with a 4.06V AW 18650.
* It can tail stand
* Reverse clicky switch
* The memory feature will memorize the last mode
* Toughened ultra clear glass lens with 98% transmission rate
* Extra thick body for best durability
* 53 mm x 42 mm smooth alumium reflector specially designed for throw
* Each light has its unique serial number engraved

Its design is very good, its construction excellent, feels very sturdy and nice. I can hold it very well, even though i would like some kind of plastic for not to be slipery.Its head is bigger than most competitors, and its length is something between a DBS V1 and V2.
The reflector has some noticeable parallel circles on it, maybe designed to remove a bit the artifacts.

Double O-rings are everywhere and all lubed fine, great!!
It can tailstand. It has a pill, it is easily removable for easy modding too!
The parts of the flashlight:

The lens needed some serious cleaning, it was a bit dirty, but no scratches or dents.
It can serve as a candle, but you have better NOT to do it without puting another heatsink compound. The one it has is not adhensive, it is like the one we find on cpu's.

So put an adhensive one and it is ok!
Enough technical info, so lets see some numbers from the multimeter and the lux meter. Firstly, the two contenders:

- Dereelight DBS V1 2SD R2 WH with UCL .It has the same output characteristics with the V2 but a better lens(from flashlightlens.com). It is driven according to the manufacturer at 1,2amp(real numbers shown later)
-Tiablo A8 modded with R2 WG from Erasmus and 7882 from DX. Customizable output, set to 1,4amp according to the multimeter. Stock lens. Much better output than original led&driver.
I have to tell that i made the test with a lens i bought from KD , which has 99% transmittion claimed(and it does help i get higher lux reading).The batteries used were 2 ultrafire protected 2400mah , fully charged. I used the same battery for all batteries, i used the second one only for side by side beamshots.
Readings were taken almost after 1 minute of throwing for each case. The voltage of the battery dropped a bit, 4,08V in the beginning and 4,06 at the end.
Lux readings at 1m:

Dereelight DBS: 33600 lux
Tiablo A8 : 29100 lux
MG RX-1: 29600 lux

Lux readings at 3m:

Dereelight DBS: 6200 lux
Tiablo A8 : 5040 lux
MG RX-1: 5780 lux

Lux readings at 5m:

Dereelight DBS: 2010 lux
Tiablo A8 : 1545 lux
MG RX-1: 2010 lux

(Edit1, added later the batteries have dropped votlage to 4V)
Lux readings at 10m:

Dereelight DBS: 412 lux
MG RX-1: 400 lux

edit2: I took all the way down lux readings at 4V:
at 5m: DBS = 1952 lux RX-1 = 1910 lux
at 1m: DBS = 32720 lux RX-1 = 28170 lux

It seems that the flashlight needs a better driver to hold the regulation! I think that if it would then it would beat the 10m shot!

So, what is going on here? I had the review ready to be posted days ago, but i guess you see the reason why there was a delay. I repeated the tests a lot of times to see if the results were ok.Even in case my lux meter is not that accurate in readings, it is accurate to show the difference. It seems like DBS and Tiablo are perfect throwers for 1m, but as distance increases, RX-1 seems to hold better its throw! I was amazed by that result, i knew that DBS was a better thrower than A8 as distance increases(it was easily seen in my activities), and i was expecting to see the same with RX-1, but i was surprized! Not only it has the same lux reading at 5m(I could barely see any difference in numbers plus or minus a few lux), it shows a tedency to throw better in longer distances!
Now, lets see about multimeter readings. I won't post any numbers on lower output settings, i guess almost no-one is interested in throwers!

Amp readings at highest setting:
Dereelight DBS: 1,28 Amp
Tiablo A8: 1,39 Amp
MG RX-1 : 1,21 Amp

The driver of DBs has similar characteristics with the one from Dereelight, the 3SD. I have that driver and some test data make think that it is a copy of the 3SD driver. When i will swap out the driver from RX-1 in order to mod it i will update the review to tell you if it is the same or not.

And for last but maybe the best part, beamshots!
The camera used is a dslr Canon 350D . i used 1/300 , 1/500 and 1/800 timing . F= 5.0
The difference in tint is easily noticeable. DBS= WH , RX-1 = WC , A8 = WG

Dereelight DBS:

Tiablo A8:

MG RX-1:

DBS vs RX-1

A8 vs RX-1

I took yesterday some outdoor beamshots, but i won't post them, they are worser than expected. We are having now bad weather with strong wind, maybe that is the reason that most of the pictures are shaken even though stabilized as much as i could at the night. I will update soon the review with the outdoor beamshots.

Conclusion-comments:
Is it the new king of throw?Maybe yes, taking into account its price. If you have the knowledge to mod , then it is for sure. It can become better with some decent modding. A better driver, a higher bin&better tint led with a UCL and we have a winner!
And it has about the 1/3 price of a dereelight. It has some small problems, the dirty lens and the non-glued led, but can be easily fixed.
I have on my way new much better machines for testing, i might have some new and precise data, i will update this review.
At last, who bought a Tiablo A10? Are you still try to find out how it is working or are you still try to measure the amperage draw? Things with RX-1 are simpler and less pricy!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what is going on here? I had the review ready to be posted days ago, but i guess you see the reason why there was a delay. I repeated the tests a lot of times to see if the results were ok.Even in case my lux meter is not that accurate in readings, it is accurate to show the difference. It seems like DBS and Tiablo are perfect throwers for 1m, but as distance increases, RX-1 seems to hold better its throw!
Measurements at 1m are of no benefit when it comes to throwers. We are trying to set a new standard in this thread here. Hopefully we can get people to adopt a new methodology in measuring lux.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Measurements at 1m are of no benefit when it comes to throwers. We are trying to set a new standard in this thread here. Hopefully we can get people to adopt a new methodology in measuring lux.

I know that, but in most cases 1m lux reading is the standard for most to understand how it does throw.
I took anyway readings in different distances, i knew about that, i had already seen that as distance increases DBS was better than Tiablo.I was a bit surprized though to see such good numbers from the RX-1. I am planning to make another one to 10 meter. I have seen also this thread and others by jenksh, he is doing great job, but more data is needed to have a good point of view.

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
I guess the bigger reflector will retained the size of the hot spot over long distance therefore Rx 1 is better in long distance than DBS v2.

I had the UltraFire SG-900 from KD that can out throw DBS when i mod the driver with the same current output on DBS v2. The hot spot is much much smaller than DBS v2 and the reflector for C9 is much deeper and wider.

Please post some lux reading at 10 m and 20 m if you can thanks

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the bigger reflector will retained the size of the hot spot over long distance therefore Rx 1 is better in long distance than DBS v2.

I had the c9 from KD that can out throw DBS when i mod the driver with the same current output on DBS v2. The hot spot is much much smaller than DBS v2 and the reflector for C9 is much deeper and wider.

Please post some lux reading at 10 m and 20 m if you can thanks

Which flashlight is the "c9". The only thing that comes up in a search for "c9" on KD's website is an Ultrafire C9:
http://www.kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1027

While the MG RX-1 does have among the largest diameter of throwers, I believe the DBS's reflector is noticeably deeper. But definitely for the money, this RX-1 is hard to beat.

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
Sorry it is UltraFire SG-900. This hot spot is real tight over a long distance. I have modded with 1.4A 7135 board, this light has an excellent heat sink.

Hammer Train

Banned
Great review, thanks for spending the time to do this, can't wait to receive mine and mod it to 1.4a with an r2!

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry it is UltraFire SG-900. This hot spot is real tight over a long distance. I have modded with 1.4A 7135 board, this light has an excellent heat sink.

Ah that one, yeah I've been looking at it and thinking it would be good thrower because of the long head allowing for a deep reflector. As we know here that reflector depth has just as much affect on the throw (especially with Crees) as diameter does. DX has an R2 version called the UniqueFire HS-802 for $0.81 more. It's funny how there's so many "Fire" branded flashlights out of China...but I would assume it has alot to do with the name recognition built up by SureFire.

I would think that if you could drop a 1.4A driver and a Cree R2 emitter in the MG RX-1, it would be more of a performer than it already is.

ergotelis

Enlightened
These throwers you mention are nice but, do have a worser sidespill than DBS and a tighter hotspot. RX-1 keeps sidespill wider than Tiablo A8 and a hotspot the size and lux reading of a DBS.

I edited the first post with some lux readings at 10m.The voltage dropped by 4V to the battery.

Last edited:

YourTime

Newly Enlightened
Yes your right the SG 900 has low side spill but the hot spot is concentrated and tight. I brought SG 900 to fishing and this light was completely useless as my RC g2 from Dx with modded 7880 does much more better job.

Seems like the conclusion for this review that MG RX 1 does about the same throw as DBS v2 :)

For price wise this is clearly a winner for RX 1 but money isnt a problem then DBS v2 since the compact size and the nice design that why i bought two DBS V2 :p.

Im waiting to buy a lux meter to check out lux reading on my new modded 7882 driver.

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened
DBS is great, anyway it was the first one, now we have some other serious throwers, but it still holds well!
If you use your 7882 board, better take some tests on the amperage they draw and the amperage the emitter takes, some drivers are not good, bad quality control. Also, if you make another pill, make sure the led on the DBS to sit as higher as it goes on the emitter. It has better throw results. I have made a pill for me, with a new R2 WC from cutter and that board, it does put a lot more output, but it has less throw because the emitter doesn't sit well in the reflector.I have to check out too if the new silver core of cree is not working that well like the old one in that specific reflector. :)

djblank87

Enlightened
I also own one and it does throw very well, I used to own a A9 and DBS and it holds it's own as shown above. For the price you can't beat it.

Secur1

Enlightened
I just received this light too and i have to say it's excellent value for money.
Feels nice and sturdy with thick walls and has a nice heft to it.

A couple of hickups tho, number one i can hear a high pitch noice at the lower levels and second for the life of me i can't unscrew the tail switch to install the glow in the dark rubber button !

Other than that, a great little light :)