Need help with modding of a 3W Cree Projection Flashlight

Squeekie

Newly Enlightened
Hello

This is my first time trying to mod a flashlight and i'm having some trouble getting the 'pill' out so i can access the LED emitter and circuit.

Is there anyone out there that's tried to modify this light ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4081 )? Any tips/pictures on how to mod/dismantle would be much appreciated!
Ive managed to remove the reflector, but i cant understand how to get the pill out :confused:. Does the light split in the middle or do i have to remove it from the reflector side? It seems to me that there are two parts joined together, but i cant for the life of me get them apart.
Im trying to put in a Q5 or XR-E R2 emitter instead of the P4, or even a P7 if i can get my hands on one :D

Any info is appreciated!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a U2 clone that is superficially similar in construction. The battery tube and head are screwed on with a ton of threadlock, so I haven't been able to unscrew them no matter how much force I used. In the end I found that you can remove the pill by unscrewing it from the reflector side. I suggest you try that...

Squeekie

Newly Enlightened
I actually tried doing that but i ended up bending my screwdriver. But i tried again with some long-nosed pliers, more confident after reading your post, and it worked! :clap:
It was really stuck in there so its was just a matter of applying enough force, hehe.

Off to do some soldering now. Thanks for the help! :thumbsup: