How about a AA version of the Fenix E01 ?

Southernlight

Enlightened
I think this has been discussed before but do you think a AA version of the Fenix E01 would be a good light? :shrug: Something low cost like the AAA E01 but in AA format, 10-25 Lumes or so, and bundled with a diffuser to be used as an electronic candle for those power outages. :candle:

The emphasis here is on inexpensive.

Thoughts

Tim

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would love to see something like that. And since the body would be a little wider, maybe they could grind and polish down the Nichia GS emitter (or whatever 5mm they choose) like those SMJLEDs' so they work better with the refector, which should also be polished....

kramer5150

Flashaholic
yes... inexpensive and long running. same driver and emitter as the E01, just a larger case for 1xAA. Overall it would be very similar to the Inova X1-V2.;)... but longer running.

Southernlight

Enlightened
I guess I raise this as I have seen on the news that some of you in the North of the USA are suffering bad storms and power blackouts. Some cheap AA lights sold with bundled diffusers would be great as flashlights and double up as candles. Just some gentle light for inside the house. Cheap enough so you can have a number of them.

Tim

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think this light already exists in the form of the Gerber Infinity Ultra. But, if Fenix made one it probably would be more efficient.

Geoff

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think this light already exists in the form of the Gerber Infinity Ultra. But, if Fenix made one it probably would be more efficient.

Geoff

Fenix could improve on it... longer running, better regulation, tail-standing, TypeIII. They could even do one in stainless.

Personally I'd prefer the Nichia LED mounted on the side of the body tube like a Zebralight... but I don't think thats a must have.

Last edited:

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one of you Fenix luvvers ask them if they would consider producing such an item?

Also I would want it to be compatable with rechargeables as well....

Southernlight

Enlightened
Also I would want it to be compatable with rechargeables as well....

This is a good idea. As a house light/candle for extended outages, its possible that the stores could run out of AAs and being able to recharge AAs using the car chargers that are about would extend the abilities of the lights.

At about 15-20 lumes fixed output what would you expect the runtime from a fresh Alkaline?

Tim

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too would love to see something like that. And since the body would be a little wider, maybe they could grind and polish down the Nichia GS emitter (or whatever 5mm they choose) like those SMJLEDs' so they work better with the refector, which should also be polished....
Hell,why not just make it with the SMJLED? It would be a little brighter and wouldn't take that much of a runtime hit.

lebox97

Enlightened
yup, something bullet/bomb proof like the CMG (pre-Gerber) infinity - but regulated output for... ohhhh a week or two or three of 15lm +/- output??? :devil:

think of all the users WORLDWIDE who would have good use for this - walking-hiking trails, jungles, survival use, use as candle during brown outs, etc etc. :thumbsup:
I'd replace the 8 CMG's in my bailout bags for such a thing.

but I do say NO to angry blue output!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've been saying for some time that there should be an AA version of the Fenix P1 (non-D). Finally the perfect starter/gift light for non-flashaholics..

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
buy 5 packs of the Home Depot Husky 1AA lights that is 10 lights for about $15 plus tax. Take back the duds and keep the rest and you will have plenty of runtime off the free heavy duty batteries.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Could be good for an ER kit or BOB as it would run a long time and work well as a backup if that person is packing AA stuff like a GPS or radio. I wonder how long the burn time would be?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Could be good for an ER kit or BOB as it would run a long time and work well as a backup if that person is packing AA stuff like a GPS or radio. I wonder how long the burn time would be?

Eneloop AAA is 800mah, eneloop AA is 2000mah. So an AA E01 would run roughly 2.5x as long as the AAA E01. Assuming it used the same driver.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could one of you Fenix luvvers ask them if they would consider producing such an item?
When I filled out the Fenix survey earlies this year, I specifically asked for a AA version of the E01.

Even though the Gerber Infinity Ultra is a great AA light (I have several), i'd buy a AA E01 (E02?) in a heartbeat.