does this product exist - high quality led emergency flashlight?

svseller

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a high quality LED flashlight that is left into a wall socket for charging, and can turn on when the power goes out and would last for 5-8 hours.

Does anyone know of such a product and where I can find it?

Thank you

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Yes such an animal exists. They're kinda hard to find sometimes. Believe I saw one at Home Depot. Not sure of the run time tho. If the power goes out the light comes on, or you can unplug it and use it as a flashlight. :candle:

There are several on this page from Amazon: Amazon.com: night light emergency

mdocod

Flashaholic
There is a major lack of cradle charged flashlights available that execute a good build quality and good charging method and battery type that are specific to certain applications. There are a few... But I honestly can't think of any emergency style (like super long runtime) lights that I would trust to be ready off the charger to perform this task.

Believe it or not.. such s system would not be all that expensive to do. A decent emitter set to a low drive level, powered by an efficient buck regulator on a lead acid battery would work fine for this. The problem is, most companies who would make such a product, would skimp on the charger, and use a dummy style constant trickle charging, which would destroy the battery in about a year. A proper way to execute this emergency lantern would be with a float charger.

It wouldn't be too terrible hard to modify something to achieve this :)

Eric

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
probably be better to just get a LED light that has a GITD something on it and park it next to a nightlight so when the power went out it would glow for awhile

svseller

Newly Enlightened
What I really want is a high quality (100 lumens or more) flashlight that recharges when plugged in. I just can't seem to find that. The Amazon stuff all seems to be poor quality, and the Sylvania stuff as the one poster said also seems to break down.

mdocod

Flashaholic
The LED lenser 7853 claims 114 lumen, with a 20+ hours runtime and is rechargeable and uses a li-ion battery...

I would personally not trust those number at all without 4rd party confirmation. It looks like a compact light, and to sustain 114 lumen for 20 hours would require a lot more battery pack... so I'm tempted to call BS on this one, which is so often the case. Oh well....

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for a high quality LED flashlight that is left into a wall socket for charging, and can turn on when the power goes out and would last for 5-8 hours.

Does anyone know of such a product and where I can find it?

Thank you

You need to consider one thing about this type of setup. What if the power goes out 8 hours before you get home and is still out for several hours? Then you are left with a dead light that turned itself on and ran it's batteries down when you weren't around. No good. It's probably better to just have a light that has a "find-me" beacon on it or glow paint on it or something.
There are a couple lights that I know of that have a beacon, like the EternaLight Ergo X-ray, and an Energizer 2D that I saw in Target (sorry, I don't know what model). Also I have a Pak-Lite that is made of glow material that lasts all night.

Good luck with your search.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any light of the type you specified.
However, there are hundreds [thousands] of good quality lights that you can leave lithium batteries in [including AA powered lights], which have a shelf life of ten years or more, that can run for hours on a set of batteries. Even rechargeable lithium batteries, which don't have quite the capacity or shelf life of non-rechargeables, may fit your needs in this type of situation.

Welcome to CPF.
Merry Christmas / happy holidays

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I really want is a high quality (100 lumens or more) flashlight that recharges when plugged in. I just can't seem to find that. The Amazon stuff all seems to be poor quality, and the Sylvania stuff as the one poster said also seems to break down.
My 3D mag light sat for years in the kitchen with just alkaline batteries in it. Most are good for well past the "use by" date. (I just changed some that had a Jan 2002 date) I swapped out the incan with a cheap LED as the light was running down.
Then the woman I was renting to took it...

In any event, for me the secret is having the light *always* in the same place.
I suspect that your first request will only be solved by a modified emergency light. Most put out a good bit of light for a couple hours at best.

However Lite Saver Emergency Light is of interest.