Surefire E2DL Questions

XD9

Enlightened
I was looking to get the specs of this Flash light. The surefire site is very limited on the specs all it list is Battery type etc... I am looking for more details like LED Technology it uses etc... Any body out there?
I am getting one for Christmas and is going to be my first Tactical Flash Light.
Is it possible to use rechargeable battery's on this flash light?
Also is there a better flash light out there for the same price as the Surefire E2DL?

Thank You!

Axion

Enlightened
I have an E2DL body which i use with my Nitecore Extreme head. From that I can tell you that the build quality of the E2DL is very nice. Other then that search for a thread by "theSun" he's got lots of good beam shots. From them I'd says that the E2DL isn't better or worse then anything else but rather different. Surefire uses an optic which focuses almost all of the light into a nice large hot spot leaving very little spill compared to other lights. The downside of this is obvious but the upside is a nice big spot that can throw as well as more powerful lights like the TK11 and T10C2. I think I'd like this beam pattern for an EDC which will get used in the city where there is always ambient light but I'd like more spill for camping and such.

HeadShot

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

first of all, the E2DL is a hell of a light! Even though everybody knows surefire underrates its lights, the 120 lumen are not even close to reality. Its more like 200 to 240lm...
Here are some nice beamshots that demonstrate the ability of the exceptional TIR-Optics https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211633

I dont know for sure, but to me it looks as if the E2DL would use a Cree led (either a very good P4 or a Q5). Maybe someone else can clarify this.

You can use RCR123s in this light, but the body is to small for all the other rechargeables... myself, i stick with primaries, they last long enough.

For more information i suggest: http://www.google.com/search?q=E2DL&sitesearch=candlepowerforums.com
You will find a lot of stuff to read ;-)

greetz,
georg

pipspeak

Enlightened
I was looking to get the specs of this Flash light. The surefire site is very limited on the specs all it list is Battery type etc... I am looking for more details like LED Technology it uses etc... Any body out there?
I am getting one for Christmas and is going to be my first Tactical Flash Light.
Is it possible to use rechargeable battery's on this flash light?
Also is there a better flash light out there for the same price as the Surefire E2DL?

I'm pretty sure it's a cree LED, but no idea which (surefire keeps that close to its chest). As others have said, it certainly punches above its 120-lumen rating and the optic produces a very nice beam that's got great throw and useful enough spill, though it's certainly not a floody light by any means. IMO very much an outdoor rather than an indoor light. It can use RCRs AFAIK.

As for a better flashlight for the money, it depends what you're paying. At current list price of $149 I'd say there are indeed some better lights for the money (can you tell I'm annoyed at Surefire jacking up its prices recently?). For an outdoor thrower, the Dereelight DBS v2 is an obvious contender and will easily overpower the E2DL. For EDC lights, something like the Novatac 120 (T or P version) is arguably more flexible and just as well built. It all depends on what you'll be usig the light for. You'll certainly get plenty of opinions here :D

Axion

Enlightened
Hi,
first of all, the E2DL is a hell of a light! Even though everybody knows surefire underrates its lights, the 120 lumen are not even close to reality. Its more like 200 to 240lm...[/URL]
greetz,
georg

More like 180. An honest 225 lumen lite like the TK10 will put out an roughly equivalent spot to the E2DL with a much bigger and brighter spill. Still in my mind it's impressive that the E2DL can keep with with 200+ lumen lights.

As for a better flashlight for the money

Yes for $150 a lot of good like can be had. Here is what I'd be looking at for that kind of money. But still one day I'd like to pick up and E2DL.

Dereelight DBS: Throw king
Dereelight DBS MC-E: 500+ lumen
Malkoff M30 or M60 + host: Excellent beam and if you get the W(arm) variant a very nice tint.
Ra Clicky: One of the toughest and most versatile EDC sized lights out there.

XD9

Enlightened
Thank You guys for the grate information just what I was looking for!!!!
I am looking in to my second light all ready :)
I am looking in to the TK11 R2 I got it for myfriend for christmas but it ha sent arrived yet.
The lights are going to be use for self defense scenario IE Tactical.

Thank You Guys!

carrot

Flashaholic
Wow
I would not use 2xRCR123 in the E2DL. You will probably fry it. The old KL1 was capable of taking 3-9V (in other words, awesome) but the new KX2 is supposedly incapable of such wonders and is basically designed around 6v (ie, 2x123) for greater efficiency. Seeing how the E2DL is basically a KX2 with different brightness levels I would assume you could only use a single 17670 or something along those lines.

1996alnl

Enlightened
Wow
I would not use 2xRCR123 in the E2DL. You will probably fry it. The old KL1 was capable of taking 3-9V (in other words, awesome) but the new KX2 is supposedly incapable of such wonders and is basically designed around 6v (ie, 2x123) for greater efficiency. Seeing how the E2DL is basically a KX2 with different brightness levels I would assume you could only use a single 17670 or something along those lines.

I use 2x3.0V RCR's with no problems at all.

carrot

Flashaholic
I use 2x3.0V RCR's with no problems at all.
Sorry, I was referring to RCR123's which are 3.7-4.2V each.

3.0V RCR's are exactly that because they have a simple circuit inside regulating the power down to 3.0V to make them compatible with flashlights that do not support this. They are inefficient by comparison and also have smaller energy density due to the space taken up by the buck circuit.

If someone says RCR123 they are almost always referring to the STANDARD 3.7V sort. As far as I know this is accepted convention. In any case, unless the driver does not run on the 3.7-4.2V range (many 6.0V LED lights will) you will be better off using a single Li-ion than two bucked 3.0V RCR123 as far as runtime is concerned.

I APOLOGIZE for any confusion in my comments, although I hope I was pretty clear.

XD9

Enlightened

3.0V RCR's are exactly that because they have a simple circuit inside regulating the power down to 3.0V to make them compatible with flashlights that do not support this. They are inefficient by comparison and also have smaller energy density due to the space taken up by the buck circuit.

If someone says RCR123 they are almost always referring to the STANDARD 3.7V sort. As far as I know this is accepted convention. In any case, unless the driver does not run on the 3.7-4.2V range (many 6.0V LED lights will) you will be better off using a single Li-ion than two bucked 3.0V RCR123 as far as runtime is concerned.

I APOLOGIZE for any confusion in my comments, although I hope I was pretty clear.

Where can I find this rechargeable battery's? Every body keeps telling me that there is no battery that woks with the E2DL.

XD9

Enlightened
I see. So this battery's wont burn the LED in the E2DL?

Zeige

Enlightened
Post #3 on this thread is about rechargeables in E2DL

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214079

I run AW 3.7 RCR123's in my E2DL and works great. I know of a few others that have done the same with out a problem. I have not heard of anyone blowing the LED yet. That said you are taking a risk running the 3.7s. AW 3v. are much safer and better options if you dont want to risk blowing the LED. When I put 3.7s in my light, in the back of my mind was sending the light to Milky if it blew up :devil:. GL and hope this helps.

seattlite

Enlightened

YMMV. I'm on my 5th recharge cycle with 2x3.7v(2x4.2v off the charger) with my ED2L head. So far no problems.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

first of all, the E2DL is a hell of a light! Even though everybody knows surefire underrates its lights, the 120 lumen are not even close to reality. Its more like 200 to 240lm...
Here are some nice beamshots that demonstrate the ability of the exceptional TIR-Optics https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211633

The E2DL is definitely a, 'hell of a light.
While I agree that 120lm is under rated it's nowhere close to 200-240lm. We tested one in a calibrated integrating sphere and saw results in the 160's.
The Fenix, Olight, LumaPower, etc tactical class lights are noticeably brighter and actually test at 200+lm.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use RCR123 3.7 volt rechargables in my E2DL since I bought it. I have had no problems.

Interesting MattK. My E2DL seems brighter than my PD20(180 Lumens), Inova T4-MP (175 lumens) my P3D-Q5 (215 Lumens) and seems just a hair brighter than my Olight Infinitum (200 Lumens). It definitely throws better than all of these lights and I think that is what makes it deceptively brighter than it is.

I'm surprised it didn't test higher than 160 lumens though?

Happy Holidays

Bill

Last edited:

seattlite

Enlightened
The E2DL is definitely a, 'hell of a light.
While I agree that 120lm is under rated it's nowhere close to 200-240lm. We tested one in a calibrated integrating sphere and saw results in the 160's.
The Fenix, Olight, LumaPower, etc tactical class lights are noticeably brighter and actually test at 200+lm.

Hi Matt,

Did you test with 2xCR123's or with rechargeables? My un-scientific "light box"/light meter measurements and RELATIVE(with some of my other lights) calculations netted just a tad more output on RCR123's. But I agree that the ED2L is not in the 200lm range.

Thanks,
Richard