OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR - MY OPINION

RaymondMillbrae

Newly Enlightened
OK, folks,

here's my cursory review of the Olight M20 Warrior (Q5).

First off, let me start by saying that these are my personal opinions. So if you want to debate me, or try to sell me on why I should lean toward your camps...don't. These are just my personal opinions!

Personally, I like bluish, crispy cold, lights. So anytime someone offers a "warmer tint" bin, you will not find me purchasing one. I will always be attracted to the colder Q5 bins. (I know, I know..the true color renderings, etc. Blah, blah, blah...).

Now let's get down to business - the Olight M20 Warrior Q5.

When I initially recieved it, and opened the box, I saw that it was nicely constructed. It is not as thick as my Fenix TK11 (my favorite EDC light), but I like the feel of it, as well as the shape. It fits nicely in my hand, and I personally find it very comfortable...unlike the EagleTac T10L, which I really disliked. (These are my personal opinions, so don't get all defensive on me).

One of the things I initially observed about the Olight M20 Warrior, was it's larger tactical ring. At first I thought it was kind of "large-ish". (Ebonix at play, here). But after a few moments of meditating on it's size, and feeling it out, I realized that I like it a lot. As a matter of fact, I now wish that all of my other lights had a tactical ring as large as this one. If you have read any of my other posts, you'll know that I prefer a modified Cigar Grip when holding a light with a pistol. And this tactical ring did the job super nicely. When you go to grab the light and use it in conjunction with a pistol, everything falls into place -even with my Held gloves. I like that.

b177913544.jpg

b177913546.jpg

Another thing I really liked about the light were the scalloped cuts on the tailcap. It only had three scalloped cuts, and they were large. I liked that it had three large cuts, because it enabled me to depress the end-cap button without any problems...every single time. That was a huge "plus" in my book. (My tactical lights need to be 100% bullet-proof, and they need to work 100% of the time when grabbed). Another reason I purchased this light was because it DID NOT have a recessed button within the tailcap - which would not have enabled me to use a modified Cigar Grip with a pistol. (I can care less about the "tail stand function," as it takes a back seat to ALL my tactical needs). I also attached the "glow-in-dee-dark" tailcap button. (I like this button on the light, when the light is on my nightstand). I know it doesn't glow forever, but it was just the thought.

b177913550.jpg

Another thing I noticed were the rough corners on the tactical ring. All the corners felt really sharp when grabbing it. As a matter of fact, the stainless steel, crenulated bezel, also felt sharp. (But I could really care less about this stainless steel bezel). The sharpness of the tactical ring corners is not a big deal, but I did want to mention it, as it did catch my attention.

Oh yea...I also wanted to mention that the smooth & tapered side of the tactical rings should be placed facing the light end. (Not the tail cap). This provides a comfortable hold on the tactical ring, instead of it "biting" your hand. (But if you prefer it the other way around, biting your fingers...more power to you. That's a personal decision).

I have not engraved my name on it yet, so I cannot comment on it's metal, nor it's finish. (I engrave my personal information on all my tools). But more on that later.

Another thing it had was a removable, crenulated, stainless steel, strike bezel. I guess it would be useful if you dropped your light, so it wouldn't mar the finish. But to strike someone with it? Or even advertise it as being a "STRIKE Bezel"..."Naw"! (Personally, I take it off when carrying it. But I put it back on when it's on my nightstand next to my pistol. Why? "I uhn no".

b177913558.jpg

The next few pictures show the carrying case. (Or is it a "holster")? I took a few pictures of the holster, and then of the light in the holster.

b177913733.jpg

b177913738.jpg

b177913748.jpg

The holster is very well made. At first I didn't see the significance of the large hole on the cover flap. (If there's a hole in there, wouldn't the light still be able to be lost when running or rolling around)? And it might. But when used with the tactical ring in place, it worked really well. As a matter of fact, I even liked the cleaner look of the light when it was held this way. (It looked asthetically better than a large flap covering the end of the light, and snapped in place).

OK, now let's talk about one of my biggest grievances - elastic on ANY holster. A big "No No" in my book.

There are elastic pockets on both the left and right side of the flashlight for extra batteries or whatever...and with no cover flap! (Can we say, "Darn...I lost my spare batteries while walking the dog")?!

Elastic will ALWAYS lose it's elasticity after a while, and be of no use. Not only that, but after it wears out it's usefulness, it then makes the rest of the holster "ghetto-looking". (Nasty, flapping in the wind, elastic material that cannot be used for anything). Below is a picture of the elastic...before eventually going "ghetto". (My opinions, folks. Just my opinions).

b177913761.jpg

And almost lastly, my remedy. I cut-out one of the nasty elastic pockets, and temporarily modified the second pocket. (I cut-out the bottom portion of the second pocket so that my WILDFIRE 18% PEPPER SPRAY would fit in there). I know this "pepper spray second pocket" will soon give-up the ghost, but the clip on the pepper spray is really strong for the meantime. (I am also making a custom leather holster for my EDC lights. So when the second pocket gives-up the ghost, I will cut it off as well, and keep the holster as a back-up spare).

b177913774.jpg

b177913786.jpg

And as an added bonus (not wanting to slap Olight in the face or anything)...my Fenix TK11 fits in there nicely as well. (See below picture).

b177913807.jpg

And in closing...the light beam. (Sorry, no beam shots).

Comparing it to my Fenix TK11, it has a tad of a greenish tint. It also doesnt throw as good as the Fenix TK11. But the transition from the bright center to the edges is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY cleaner. (It does not have the black Cree donuts that the Fenix TK11 has).

So to end, I am very happy with the light. The build quality seems better than the Fenix TK11, and the ligt is also different. But they compliment each other, so I am a happy camper.

OK folks, that's about it for now. This is not a professional review or anything...but just my personal observations

Toodle-Loo, Folks.

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited:

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
The M20 Warrior is my first "tactical" light, other lights are the L2D premium, P1D CE, a cheap-o 1AA River Rock and an even cheap-oer 9 LED no name check-out counter light from ACE hardware (oh and I have an Ultrafire WF-1000L from DX that was DOA, so mr. postman is hauling it to their Miami facility for a clicky swap).

I have to agree with a lot of what you said about the M20, except maybe the tint (I'm not much of an afficionado to really bothered by different tints, so long as they're bright). I do agree with the bit about the elastic side pockets, but since I EDC my M20 on the MOLLE panels of my Versipack, I've never really found a need to use them what with all the other pockets on my pack that can be used to stow spare batteries. What I did do though was attach a neck lanyard from my finicky river rock light to the M20, and wrapped about 2/3 of the length around the body right next to the ring. The upshot of which is with the added width, the ring doesn't bite into my hands as much (which I did find very uncomfortable). The remainder of the lanyard's length works perfectly as a wrist lanyard, and when place in the holster, fits perfectly in the elastic side pockets!!!

So there, in case you were curious, those side pockets do serve an ideal purpose.

The Sun

Enlightened
BTW just to add something about the holster; one reason the tailcap is exposed and there's a hole in the bottom of it is not only so you can carry bezel up/down, but also so you can activate the light while it's in the holster. not something IMO i would use often but it's there.

and +1 on the elastic! it will be shed in the very near future :D.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't own the light, but I do own the exact same pepper spray and the exact same shirt!:thumbsup::D

Happy Holidays

Bill