any problems using an UNIQ tailcap with a M60 drop-in???

The Sun

Enlightened
i'm trying to find out if there have been any of us out there using the UNIQ continuously variable tailcap (on SF C,P,Z, etc.) with a Malkoff M60 drop-in, and if there have been any problems, i.e. returning to maximum brightness, faulty switching, etc.??? i would really like the ability to use this feature with my M60's, but i want to make sure there are no compatibility issues!!!:D let me know...thanks in advance!!!:thumbsup:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread has some information on the Uniq tailcap.

Note that the tailcap draws 1 mA even when the light is off. My OpticsHQ/TLS multifunction tailcap also draws 0.5mA to 1 mA, according to OpticsHQ. I measured the voltage of my AW black label 16340 cells each day and I estimate about 3-4 weeks shelf life using two cells in a 6P (shorter, of course, if you also use the light during that time interval). Three weeks if you use the protocol I use -- charge to 4.1V and discharge to 3.7V (i.e., charge to ~90% capacity and discharge to ~20% capacity to extend cycle life). Four weeks if you charge to 4.2V and discharge to 3.7V. Add a few more days if you go to 3.6V. I personally don't like going that low since it doesn't leave much capacity to use the light for an extended amount if needed.

You can back out the Uniq tailcap to disconnect it electrically. But then you have to screw it back down to get the light operational again.

The Sun

Enlightened
This thread has some information on the Uniq tailcap.

Note that the tailcap draws 1 mA even when the light is off. My OpticsHQ/TLS multifunction tailcap also draws 0.5mA to 1 mA, according to OpticsHQ. I measured the voltage of my AW black label 16340 cells each day and I estimate about 3-4 weeks shelf life using two cells in a 6P (shorter, of course, if you also use the light during that time interval). Three weeks if you use the protocol I use -- charge to 4.1V and discharge to 3.7V (i.e., charge to ~90% capacity and discharge to ~20% capacity to extend cycle life). Four weeks if you charge to 4.2V and discharge to 3.7V. Add a few more days if you go to 3.6V. I personally don't like going that low since it doesn't leave much capacity to use the light for an extended amount if needed.

You can back out the Uniq tailcap to disconnect it electrically. But then you have to screw it back down to get the light operational again.

thanks for the info. i'm gonna check out the other thread as well.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted most of the info in that other post. The short answer is it will work with the standard CR123 batteries and up with the Malkoff module. If it gets too much below the 6V it doesn't always turn on. It can run up to 9V just fine. So if you use non rechargeables and they sag down below 5V, the unit may start acting screwy. But I use mine with 2 rechargeables at up to 8.4V and have had no problems, very nice and smooth continuously variable action. It definitely draws 1.0 milliamp when connected but not turned on.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone has interest in the TLS reverse multifunction tailcap, it has its quirks as well.

Other CPF posts have claimed that the TLS tailcap works with (IIRC) the Malkoff and BOGUSA drop-ins. But the tailcap did not work correctly with my Deal Extreme DX6090 and DX11836 drop-ins. Problem was the same:
the drop-in comes on in dim mode as soon as you screw down the OpticsHQ tailcap all the way. You can't turn off the light. If you press the side button, all that happens is that you can dim or brighten the light. But a fast click-release of the side button doesn't turn off the light, which is what should happen (plus the light shouldn't come on by itself anyway).

I am using the tailcap with the matching OpticsHQ Cree Q5 drop-in, and that combination works well. I got the infinitely variable brightness reverse multifunction TLS tailcap version and it is nice. Unfortunately, you can't buy just the tailcap.

The Sun

Enlightened
I posted most of the info in that other post. The short answer is it will work with the standard CR123 batteries and up with the Malkoff module. If it gets too much below the 6V it doesn't always turn on. It can run up to 9V just fine. So if you use non rechargeables and they sag down below 5V, the unit may start acting screwy. But I use mine with 2 rechargeables at up to 8.4V and have had no problems, very nice and smooth continuously variable action. It definitely draws 1.0 milliamp when connected but not turned on.

If anyone has interest in the TLS reverse multifunction tailcap, it has its quirks as well.

Other CPF posts have claimed that the TLS tailcap works with (IIRC) the Malkoff and BOGUSA drop-ins. But the tailcap did not work correctly with my Deal Extreme DX6090 and DX11836 drop-ins. Problem was the same:
the drop-in comes on in dim mode as soon as you screw down the OpticsHQ tailcap all the way. You can't turn off the light. If you press the side button, all that happens is that you can dim or brighten the light. But a fast click-release of the side button doesn't turn off the light, which is what should happen (plus the light shouldn't come on by itself anyway).

I am using the tailcap with the matching OpticsHQ Cree Q5 drop-in, and that combination works well. I got the infinitely variable brightness reverse multifunction TLS tailcap version and it is nice. Unfortunately, you can't buy just the tailcap.

many thanks to you both. i may hold off on either of the switches. i was hoping there was a true momentary on the UNIQ. i didn't really like the "side switch" on the TLS. oh well...i will probably order them both anyway. i would be a hypocrite if i didn't tell myself, "buy them both" :D i may take a drive over to Lighthound and see if i can try the UNIQ out first with my set-up to make sure everything is kosher. also to see if i can live without the momentary. we'll see, i'll let you know what comes out of all this debauchery!!! :D

Latest posts