A Q for Ra Clicky owners! (have you had this problem)

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Do your Ra Clickys flash off and then back on when you go to high?
I sent one back as it would sometimes flash a few times randomly and flicker when I went to high, the shop said they would check a 140c flashlight out for me before they sent me a replacement.
But they have just got in touch with me and said that ALL the 140C's that they have in stock 'flash' when they are switched to high!
I don't thnk they flash as much as mine is seen doing in the video.

Here's a link to a video to explain what I mean: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JhzL_i0bZ-Y

I have tried the two new batterys that came with it and I got some more new ones to try as well, they all did the same thing.

Can I get some feedback on this please.

Update, I have asked for a refund untill I can get to the bottom of this, there's no point being sent a replacement Clicky if they all do the same thing.

I still think this is a great flashlight and will be buying one as soon as I can.

Thanks, Kam.

Last edited:

veleno

Enlightened
Re: Ra Clicky owners!

Too soon to say (I received the Clicky today) but I don't see flash or flickering.

I'll let you know if I'll note these things.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A Q for Ra Clicky owners!

My prototype flashes an error code if you try to enable high and the battery is low. I contacted Henry and he said it needed a firmware update. It could be the same problem.

Does it flash when you try a fresh battery or all the time regardless?

What sort of flashing exactly? A flicker, or a series or dots and dashes arranged in binary octets? Does the light flash and then burst mode works properly, or once it starts flashing it won't stop until you cut the power?

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ra Clicky owners!

It doesn't flash in any way.... for now...

Even if you run the battery down?

Where did you order it from? The same UK distributor as Kamakasikev24? Or a distributor in the US or where?

veleno

Enlightened

I saw a strange flash when I went to the burst mode. After several attempts it happened again.

Normally I don't see a flash, but for an unknown reason the Clicky sometimes makes a flash in the burst mode. Could it be due to a particular combination of click/press/hold? :confused:

I really need to examine my Clicky better.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

With some luck, I'll get mine tomorrow. Yes, the official UK dealer... :eek:

I'll keep an eye on this thread an check immediately! A light in this price class shouldn't do things it isn't supposed to do after we had to wait over 3 months longer than originally stated...

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened

I will fire up my desktop and post a link to a video I made to show you all what I mean.

Update, Video posted in first post.

Last edited:

radiomanss

Newly Enlightened

Just got my clicky, and it does the same thing -- erratically -- on going into high mode. Sometimes it gives one or two flashes, then goes to high. Other times, it just goes to high. Fresh battery.

This needs examination: probably a software glitch.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Mine did this when I first got it. I thought it was a bad battery, so I replaced it. Have not had this issue since (as he knocks on wood). Sounds like its more than isolated, however. Uh, oh . . .

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened

As I state on the video, if the 140cgt I had did NOT switch to high cleanly, it would then NOT step down after 10secs.
Can I ask if yours does the same thing?

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I just watched your video. I have not witnessed that behavior as of yet with either the Proto or the 140Cn.

I'm going to have another try with my 140Cn and try to repro.

Dead_Nuts

Enlightened

Mine is also a CGT -- and that is exactly what mine did at first!

Interesting how toward the end of your video that it started working properly. That makes me wonder if mine will act up later on.

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't repro with 140Cn, so far anyway.

Can't repro with Prototype, I've had quite a bit of time with this one, it's been my EDC for a month or more and I have never seen this behavior.

What batteries are you using? Have you tried different brands or chemistries?

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened

I have only tried primarys as I don't have any rechargeable.

Henry is aware of this and has taken great interest, the light is being returned to him and he has expressed his desire to find out exactly what is going on and sort this out.
I have every faith in him.
As I have already stated I am looking forward to getting a replacement ASAP :)

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, I tried using a known mostly dead CR123A primary in the 140Cn. I believe I am able to reproduce.

I'm guessing the blinking is the UI's way of telling you that the system has detected a low battery and that it can't at this time produce the output you requested, it then gives you the highest output that it can based on what the system has detected the capabilities of the battery are.

This could mean that your batteries are not producing consistent output or the power supply is doing something wonky.

Try some different batteries and see if the behavior stops. I know that Henry uses Duracell Ultra for testing, as far as primaries are concerned.