Elektro lumens? Anyone

electric sheep

Enlightened
I am thinking of buying the EDC P7 from Elektro Lumens but know nothing about them. What quality can i expect? Is the Lumen's quoted realistic 700? Any info welcomed.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like and use it a lot. It's well built, though not as polished as most mass-produced lights, or even most of the other EL lights I've owned. Simple design - the only obvious limitations are the heat sinking and (lack of) water resistance, neither of which is a problem IMO if the user is aware of them (I wouldn't leave it on unattended or submerge it). The 700 lumens could very well be accurate, but I have no way of measuring it. It puts out an impressive amount of light for something that's more or less the size of a Surefire 6P.

There's a long thread on the EDC-P7 in the MarketPlace.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the end of November I finally made my first ElectroLumens purchase. I've followed Wayne's progress since he introduced his "Little friend" model a while back. From what I hear the P7 is what they say. I was glad to get in under the wire before 2009. The thing to remember about ElectroLumens is that they do good work, yet do not adhere to a speedy turnaround philosophy. This is in NO way a criticism, just an observation.
Frequently in life a "highly desirable speciality item" is not available via traditional retail channels. I hope to have my P7 soon.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a very bad experience ordering the "quad star phaser" from Elektrolumens and was not happy at all with the quality of the product that I (eventually) received.

I'm not trying to bash Elektrolumens here, this is just my experience based on the one and only product that I have ordered from them.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a very bad experience ordering the "quad star phaser" from Elektrolumens and was not happy at all with the quality of the product that I (eventually) received.

I'm not trying to bash Elektrolumens here, this is just my experience based on the one and only product that I have ordered from them.

What was Wayne's response about this?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was Wayne's response about this?

There was a big discussion regarding the QSP over at illumination forums (which is no longer online). I don't want to go into the exact details as this may be considered to be bashing but Wayne did accept that he was to blame for the much of the QSP fiasco.

pee10755

Newly Enlightened
I use the EDC-P7 nightly as a patrol light. It is very durable and puts out a very floody wall of light. For my purposes it works great. I find the heat management to be superior. I have left the light on for extended periods of time with nothing more than it becoming slightly warm. I also purchased a Mag modified P7 from prior to the EDC-P7 from elektrolumens.

Wayne works hard and has a full plate. He is a one man show so he has a back order. Except that and he is great to deal with. He is reachable and responsive whenever I have contacted him. I will continue to purchase lights from him.

Eagleout

Newly Enlightened
I can attest to EL performance and durability. Here's a four-year old, 4-D Tri-Star that has been used for daily chores (we live in a rural area) by myself and at least dozen foster kids of various ages (and carelessness).

tristar.jpg

It has held up to zero-degree winters and simmering summers without complaint, and has never failed the entire time. It produces a wall of light that is perfect for closing-in our animals at night and checking on the strange noises that call out in the dark, and runs for a year on a set of batteries.

I haven't had to use Wayne's warranty service so I can't comment on that, but he appears to be too busy to respond to warranty inquiries. I hope that changes soon.

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased an MT1 and an MT3 and was initially super pleased with the drop ins for my Mag Lites. Over time, the performance of the drop in's suffered dramatically. I sent mine to Wayne for warranty service and after one email after my 2nd inquiry, he has been completely silent despite attempts to reach him.

I sent another email simply requesting the unit that I sent in for service back and I still have not received a response.

I don't doubt that he is a good guy and that he can produce a quality product, but given my experiences with his product and service, I cannot recommend him.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Goatee, that's not good news to hear about the MT-3's, as I gave three away as gifts, and that was about a year or more ago. I didn't expect that the performance would degrade.

I do know that the electrical path was through the end of the battery tube - and aluminum oxidizes. I wonder if it needs another scrape with a file. Which is not something I want to have to tell my friends to do with my gift, several states away. Hrm.