Dust and Particles on reflector!!! Help please! (Surefire KT2)

shomie911

Enlightened
I left my Surefire KT2 on my bench open (the opening facing upwards) for quite a while and today when I picked it up there was a bunch of dust/particles all over the lens and reflector.

Is there any way I can clean it out?

I'll post pics in a little bit.

Last edited:

shomie911

Enlightened
Here's a pic:

See why I want to fix it? It's actually worse in person than in the photo, some of the particles move around and I don't want them to touch the bulb. There's also some smudges on the lens on the inside.
img7374ez9.jpg

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
That's not a problem, just take your finger and wipe it off.

You might want to put some spit on it and rub it with your shirt to be extra fancy. :devil:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the aircan/compressor does not work
try using a mini vacuum cleaner, the ones used for cleaning
keyboards .... suck all the dust and particles out

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
you could try 3m micro fiber lens cleaning cloth lightly. they have pockets that pick up dust so they minimize scratching. wipe gently and blow..... the wiping will losen and pick up some of it the blowing the rest.

shomie911

Enlightened
Used a full-size vacuum cleaner and got all the big particles out.

How do you clean the lens, I can't get to it. :thinking:

DM51

Flashaholic
That's not a problem, just take your finger and wipe it off.

You might want to put some spit on it and rub it with your shirt to be extra fancy. :devil:
That was extremely bad advice, which I am glad you did not follow.

For the benefit of others who may have a similar problem: you should do NOT touch the reflector surface with anything at all, or you will ruin it. The coating is very fragile indeed. Use an air-blower, as other members suggested above.

shomie911

Enlightened
That was extremely bad advice, which I am glad you did not follow.

For the benefit of others who may have a similar problem: you should do NOT touch the reflector surface with anything at all, or you will ruin it. The coating is very fragile indeed. Use an air-blower, as other members suggested above.

Ya, I had more sense than to take that suggestion seriously.

Wiping your finger on any lens or reflector surface makes problems worse, as I've learned from years of photography. :laughing:

The reflector still has little tiny dust particles but those don't bother me at all, I'm just glad I got rid of all those bigger particles.

Thanks guys.

Anyway, now I need suggestions on how to clean the inside of my lens, it's still smudged.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest a can of compressed air, available around the computer accesories area of most retailers. Use the tube that comes with it and blow it all out. Make sure the can is upright, otherwise the compressed liquid inside will shoot out and freeze stuff down to sub zero temps. The smudges will be trickier. If you can get a cotton swab with some eclipse fluid on there that would do the job I think.

DM51

Flashaholic
Well, unless you can unscrew the bezel ring and take the lens out for cleaning, there isn't really a way to do it that won't just make things worse.

There's very little to grip on those KT2 rings, and SF use Loctite to make sure you can't get them open, so it will be an absolute #%$!/*&! to get off, I think you'll find - even if you use heat and strap wrenches.

shomie911

Enlightened
Thanks DM51.

The smudges actually seem to have gotten better after I used the vacuum :thinking: I don't know why.

It doesn't seem to affect output at all, so I'm not going to mess with it and risk making it worse.

Now I have to go get one of those FM Bi-Pin adapters. The MN16 and 2x18650 are good, but I want to burn some barns. :D