Stanley P60 drop-in prototype 1 cell 18650 LED flashight

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
My co-worker got this christmas gift from an LED vender he works with. It will be out next year, but I don't know when. It is a Stanley LED flashlight that hosts a P60 drop-in, a single 18650 cell, and 5 mode resistor.
Here it is next to my Surefire 6P.
PC230189.jpg

Here is the two lights taken apart. The Malkoff P7 drop-in worked great in it with all 5 modes. My co-worker is using a DX Q5 in it however.
PC230190.jpg

The LED is coated, You can't see it like you normally could on a Malkoff or Cree. I don't know what type of LED it is, and since it is not my light I can't take it apart.
PC230193.jpg

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 5 modes and the on/off are located similar to a mag light.
PC230200.jpg

It came with a IW 18650 unprotected that can be charged with the suppllied charger. As added surprise, it can also be charged with the cell inside similar to how you charge your cell phone.
Two ways of charging to choose from.
PC230201.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Nice prototype light... cool.

Hey you work at Cisco too? I recognize the cubicle walls, MCN list with the 29-XXXX-01 part number and water bottle!! That reminds me Ive got an open MCN case that needs closing next month (I've been putting it off... SSSHHH!:eek:).

IM me if you wanted to hook up some time over lunch... userid: gfong

LOL

*edit*
I hope that light has some kind of pressure release valve.
DX sells a couple rechargeable 18650 lights... They all look pretty scary though, recharging Lithium-Ion cells in an enclosed metal cylinder is asking for trouble.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
*edit*
I hope that light has some kind of pressure release valve.
DX sells a couple rechargeable 18650 lights... They all look pretty scary though, recharging Lithium-Ion cells in an enclosed metal cylinder is asking for trouble.

Most flashlights that can be charged via a charging jack like that are not going to be perfectly sealed. The charging jack itself is very difficult to seal up perfectly...

Since it's a pretty basic LED setup, we know the discharge rate is probably within reason, and as long as the built in charger terminates properly I don't see any major danger here. My only question would be- does it have a low-volt cut-off built in somehow.

Eric

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure if this will help with sealing it a bit more considering it has a charging jack on the body, but it is seperated and sealed: see pic
PC230197.jpg

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Had a chance to play around with this light today. It uses a strange LED... like a Nichia Jupiter, but the emitter is potted in some cloudy/foggy rubber. definitely not a Cree, Seoul or Luxeon. That picture looks out of focus a little, but honestly the emitter looks exactly like that, behind that hazy semi-clear coating. Definitely more of a close range flooder than a spot thrower.

Pretty solid and hefty feeling too.

Thanks bigchelis!!, and good luck getting that Surefire body adapter. The M60 is now on my want list more than ever :D I think I want the "W" version though:D

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I've had one of those on my desk for 8-10 months - LumaPower sourced it for us for an OEM project we were working on. Supposedly it was originally designed for the Chinese Police.

The one I have has a Cree P4 in it but P4''s were the common emitter when i got that.

The DX light is different; similar but not the same.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really you'd think the Chinese police would use those "Police" flashlights from DX :grin2: