Badboy 400ma Standard vs Q3L

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
What's the difference between the standard the the Q3L? I've spend the better part of a few hours reading about the Badboy and saw reference to the Q3L, but nothing to explain what it really is? I'm assuming maybe something with the binning or ranking of the LED. Does having Q3L make it whiter, brighter, run longer?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q3L is brighter and whiter than the regular BB400 LSs. I don't think it runs any longer than the regular. Most likely it's shorter, because Vf is higher for it...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get madmax also, while you are at it. The new one available and should be brighter than the old one. Just a suggestion.

more about it here

Dave Wright

Enlightened
I have bought 3 regular BB400s and 1 Q3L BB400. That's not a statistically large sample, but my observations may be of use. I don't have an accurate meter, so these impressions are entirely based on careful back-and-forth lighting of white walls.

All 3 BB400s put out about the same amount of light. The Q3L may be a teeny bit brighter, but you wouldn't be able to tell it in normal use. 2 of my regular BB400s are as white as the Q3L. The 3rd is more green, but not in a CMG Reactor sickly way. It's still a fine light - possibly preferable to some since its light is a little more incandescent in appearance.

In the future (these are gifts for family members) I'll probably stick with the regular sandwiches. FWIW I also have a single MadMax module. It's brighter than any of the BB400s, including the Q3L. I really like the MadMaxes, especially since they are cheaper and can be dimmed, and will probably shift my buying pattern to them. They're more efficient too.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
A follow-up. Battery selection seems to make a difference in output. Lights going to family get alkalines. My own is fed NiMH, and seems somewhat brighter with them.