How useful is strobe mode really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktop711

Newly Enlightened
I've been doing some reading, and it seems that strobe mode is believed to cause disorientation to the bad guy (BG.) But does it really? Seems to me that high power setting placed directly in the eyes of a BG would be just as deterring. I mean, unless the strobe actually causes the BG to vomit or go into convulsions, is it really that much better for tactical purposes?

electric sheep

Enlightened
It bypasses the blink reflex better and leaves a strong after image plus you get greater disorientation. It may also be more difficult to return fire at the light source, i would assume a light carried in the opposite hand to your weapon would draw fire away and a strobe would increase this effect? Light on the gun can draw fire onto you IMHO:thinking:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
The only "adversary" a strobe function would affect would be an epileptic. I'm quite surprised that a suit hasn't been filed by the ACLU in protest.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strobes are disorientating, no question about it. To advertise it as disorientating is fine. To guarantee it would stop an attacker would be rather questionable, but I've never seen it advertised that way. I find they work well with rave music. :rock:

electric sheep

Enlightened
As a tool for buying time i think it's an option few will ever need but the old saying, "Have it and not need it rather than need and not have."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Strobe it totally retarded and useless and should be eliminated from all lights.
The CPF poll showed that the majority of members liked having one or both of the flashing modes, but the insult throwing minority always have the strongest showing in the threads, and usually their comments are nothing more than pithy comments like this one, which is "totally retarded and useless and should be eliminated from all" threads. :shakehead

DM51

Flashaholic
I didn't think it would be long before this thread turned bad. Strobe vs. no strobe threads always do - it is one of the most contentious issues on CPF. The subject has been done to death in numerous other threads, all of which have had to be closed due to intolerance and ill-temper creeping in and taking over. This one's closed too.

Status
Not open for further replies.