Issue with SF clickies, IMRs and malkoffs - momentary v. click and output

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all - just wondering if anyone has a quick fix for this issue that I've just noticed happens somewhat often:

When I run any of my malkoffs with a surefire clicky and IMR rechargeables, sometimes when I do a momentary push the output is lower - then when I click it on, the output switches noticeably higher... This happens about half the time and only happens with my surefire clickys (not twisties), Malkoffs, and IMRs (both the 18650 and RCR123). Does that make sense? :thinking:

This isnt a huge deal but is less than ideal... any easy fixes? I tried adding some foil between the cap-spring and battery but to no avail.

Tried searching on this issue but no luck.

Thanks!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
So.. when you do a half-press on the forward clicky it only turns on half brightness, then as you proceed to press to a full click it comes on full power?

Sounds like a faulty click switch, or one that has a faulty contact... perhaps its dirty or gunked up and adding some in line resistance.

(merely speculating)

strange, it happens with any malkoff and any clicky?... or does it happen with some and not others?

**edit**
I was playing with another CPFers M30 that had been adapted to fit an EL1 body tube, with the stock EL1 forward clicky. It was a really nice little light, and I didn't notice the condition that you describe. It was just a smooth forward clicky, simple on-off operation.

Last edited:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Kramer - thanks!

So.. when you do a half-press on the forward clicky it only turns on half brightness, then as you proceed to press to a full click it comes on full power?

Correct except I wouldn't say a half-press give me half power - it seems like a good amount of output but on a full click you can totally tell a difference.

Sounds like a faulty click switch, or one that has a faulty contact... perhaps its dirty or gunked up and adding some in line resistance.

(merely speculating)

exactly what I thought but its very odd bc I've cleaned the contacts and this happens occasionally with all my different SW02s and Z58s on my leef, surefire and FM bodies...

The only constants seem to be malkoffs and IMRs. This never happens with primaries or lifep04s...