Best light for throw?

DavyBoy4

Newly Enlightened
hello im about to order the dbs 3sd q5 as ive been told its one of the best throwers so if any1 has any other ones that beat it or are as good and have longer runtime etc tell me or post the link

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Throw

I have owned one for 9 months now and can safely say there is no LED flashlight that can match it in throw.The best part about this light is the ability to upgrade when a better LED is developed.The only lights I own that will out throw it are my AE HID and my Magcharger with a Phillips 5761 bulb.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

There are many throwers that can match, if not beat the DBS. They are cheaper and build quality is not bad.

·RX-1 from shinningbeam
·Ultrafire SG-900 from KD or Uniquefire HS-802 from DX (they are the same)
·Tiablo A10 sold in marketplace
·M@G with Q5 dropin and aspheric lens from KD.

Another new contender if the Ultrafire 007 Recoil flashlight... great thrower but there are no reviews of it at the moment. available at DX.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

hello im about to order the dbs 3sd q5 as ive been told its one of the best throwers so if any1 has any other ones that beat it or are as good and have longer runtime etc tell me or post the link
If you want to buy the top stock thrower then the DBS V2 R2 3SD is it unless you go Aspheric.
If you want to do that then go DEFT.

You want to mod a little then you can gain some ground. The little differences in this game can make or break you. Double sided AR coated UCL lens is going to help alot.

·RX-1 from shinningbeam: Does not beat the DBS as is. If you are going to buy new UCL glass and a new emitter then you probably can beat it. I'd test out many Cree R2 LED's and think about a further mod to drive it a bit more than stock.

·Ultrafire SG-900 from KD or Uniquefire HS-802 from DX: Not contenders, need modding but the reflector is still not quite big enough last I looked.

·Tiablo A10 sold in marketplace: Maybe so but it is a little early to say for certain. The A10 has a Q5(R2) and the DBS can have an R2. Put a good R2 into the A10 and you can make it the winner I am certain. EDIT: the A10 has an R2 it just isn't driven to the point it claims to be.

·M@G with Q5 dropin and aspheric lens from KD: Eh, it throws but aspherics have a heavy vulnerable lens and if that's ok with you then the DEFT will beat any Q5 asphere mag.

Last edited:

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HS-802's reflector is over 60mm tall if I recall the DBS reflector is only 55 or so. But looking at the comparison of the recoil, DBS and SG-900/HS-802 it looks like the recoil has the tightest beam and the HS-802 has a more collimated beam. I also had an 802 but had to return it, still waiting to get my new one, it pulled 1.3 amps on a fresh 18650 and had a real tight collimated beam. I don't see why it wouldn't outthrow or at least match the DBS.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it but,the only thrower mentioned here that offers unrivalled support and upgrades is the DBS period,anyone want to prove me wrong? :whistle:

BTW I can't for the life of me see the Ultrafire 007 Recoil throwing a beam of light as far as the DBS,at most it has a very shallow reflector and a very strange beam pattern IMO :shakehead

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought that light. Still waiting for it to arrive. It was just so unique I couldn't resist.

The led is mounted on the lens? That is pretty interesting. I think McGizmo tried something like that a while back with limited sucess. I belive he was using a luxeon though. Maybe a cree will work better.:shrug:

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Merry Christmas Davyboy,

Give us a report back when you get it, I'm looking at the same light.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to say it but,the only thrower mentioned here that offers unrivalled support and upgrades is the DBS period,anyone want to prove me wrong? :whistle:
The DEFT comes with easily changeable pills. As a matter of fact with a recent design change I can put just about any LED you want in it. The body is electrically isolated so I don't have to worry about the problem of isolating the slug on SSCs for example.
I will also be offering interchangeable driver assemblies to run the MC-E at a higher drive level. The down side other than price is that I can't build them very fast so production numbers are limited.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DEFT comes with easily changeable pills. As a matter of fact with a recent design change I can put just about any LED you want in it. The body is electrically isolated so I don't have to worry about the problem of isolating the slug on SSCs for example.
I will also be offering interchangeable driver assemblies to run the MC-E at a higher drive level. The down side other than price is that I can't build them very fast so production numbers are limited.
Sorry, I haven't seen your recent design changes,I must go look Merry Christmas :party:

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened

·Tiablo A10 sold in marketplace: Maybe so but it is a little early to say for certain. The A10 has a Q5 and the DBS can have an R2. Put a good R2 into the A10 and you can make it the winner I am certain.

The Tiablo A10 already HAS the R2 emitter. Its just not driven hard enough IMO.

:santa: Merry Christmas All :santa:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Tiablo A10 already HAS the R2 emitter. Its just not driven hard enough IMO.

:santa: Merry Christmas All :santa:
Correct they could easy set it to 1.4A as opposed to DBS 1.2A this would give A10 the edge maybe? but what happened to the 40,000 lux readings they gave? :thinking:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast

but what happened to the 40,000 lux readings they gave? :thinking:

Overrated numbers and lack of real tests... Also, there are also problems with the regulation, according to ernsanada's review it draws 1.02 amp with 2xRCR123.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Overrated numbers and lack of real tests... Also, there are also problems with the regulation, according to ernsanada's review it draws 1.02 amp with 2xRCR123.
Ah yes! that familiar theme played out on CPFMP of late,
lights being sold to the masses,only to arrive not as advertised.:shakehead

What's that Idiom: once bitten twice shy?,
maybe next time we should demand manufacturers send lights to respected members in future "before any money is passed" and let them put the light through its paces first :shrug:

I know some manufacturers do this already,but it should be the norm for all IMO