How does L1 low-beam compare to A2 low?

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
I'm look for an LED light, and in comparing these two SF doesn't say much specifically about the lumens available on the L1 low-beam. How do they compare? Anyone have both? Is the L1 power enough for reading?

Thanks!

BeeSee

Newly Enlightened
I have an L1 and really like it.

The low beam is unregulated, but is more than sufficient for reading

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
A2 is brighter. Much brighter. I can take a pic, if you wish...

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I was wondering that as well - if you have a red-led A2, do the red leds affect the color of the incan?

WaltH

Enlightened
I have the red LED A2. The LED's do stay on when the incan is lit. On my red you can only tell up close...and then it's just a little red around the edges. My red A2 is my most carried light at present. Easy to move around the house at night without disturbing anyone.

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
How is the red light for reading - is it ok, or does it get weird after a while?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
Is it true that the LEDs stay on when the incan's on?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the LEDs stay on when the incandescent bulb is going.

As far as the A2 and the L1 on low, the A2 is most definitely brighter and more greenish and has a wider beam than the L1. I guess I'll have to wait till after dark before I can meter them correctly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">Is it true that the LEDs stay on when the incan's on?</font>

a2litclose.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have the red LED A2. The LED's do stay on when the incan is lit. On my red you can only tell up close...and then it's just a little red around the edges. My red A2 is my most carried light at present. Easy to move around the house at night without disturbing anyone.

Copycat!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, where did that nice A2 reflector close-up came from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Xrunner said:
Is the low beam on the L1 enough light to do things (such as read) or do you really need the high? Thanks

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike...

I like the L1 alot. Its low beam is bright enough to read by and to also navigate in the dark, and at the same time not totally ruining your night vision. And when you need more light, the high beam is similar to the Arc LS.

It`s a really nice combination.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
A quick measurement shows the L1 on low puts out about 6,000mcd (6 foot-candles), while the A2 on low puts out about 20,000mcd (20 foot-candles).

Both measurements were taken at 12" with a Meterman LM631 light meter. I did *not* put new batteries in each light, so these readings could be slighly off. But I think they're pretty darn close, because both lights feed from lithium CR123A cells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif