Christmas Surefire

R

robrink

My wife got me my first Surefire, a G2. "The world's finest illumination tool", says so right on the package. Unfortunately it doesn't do what a flashlight should do, which is illuminate! Yes, the batteries are good, took it apart, put it back together, messed with the tail switch, yada, yada... not impressed so far, LOL.

AA6TZ

Enlightened
My wife got me my first Surefire, a G2. "The world's finest illumination tool", says so right on the package. Unfortunately it doesn't do what a flashlight should do, which is illuminate! Yes, the batteries are good, took it apart, put it back together, messed with the tail switch, yada, yada... not impressed so far, LOL.

Robrink -- A telephone call to SureFire is the remedy for your ill-stricken G2. Their warranty is arguably the best in the business. I'm sorry to hear that your very first experience with a SureFire product was so lack-luster. Believe me (and other CPF'ers will more than likely chime-in here) SureFire designs and manufactures exceptional illumination tools -- the best, IMHO -- across-the-board.

I hope you get your G2 nurtured back to health ASAP (or replaced), and you needn't look any further than SureFire's Customer Service Department. Okay, technically, you needn't look any further than your telephone! :D

Best Regards from Encinitas, CA! :twothumbs

-Clive

madi05

Enlightened
well merry christmas and sounds like your wife loves u ,, sry your light doesnt work as well as it should ,, i guess surefire as well as any big names can even come up short at times ,, but im sure they will take care of u

madi05

kramer5150

Flashaholic
most likely a busted Xenon filament. I would take it back to the store and get an exchange. I don't see the point in calling SF when (if you got it from a SF retailer) the store can do a 1 for 1 exchange in person. You could have a working light no later than tomorrow.:twothumbs

Part of investing in a Surefire product, is the post-sale service offered by the authorized retailer.

Bogie

Enlightened
Robrink as others have said a quick CALL to SF will correct this issue. And welcome to the site. Where are you located may be a local member would be able to assist with the pinpointing of the malfunctioning part.

WD-40 is NOT a lube. Its a great cleaner/degreaser, but it's not a lube.

I don't know man. All I do know is that 3 out of the 4 nitrolon lights I've bought by Surefire had tail caps that somehow seemed frozen, or stuck until I shot them with WD-40. I've never had a problem with any of the metal lights however.

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Taken from wd40.com

Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture induced short circuits.

Cleans grime from patio furniture.

Lube does not do that.

When you shot the tailcaps with wd40, it would of broken down the grease/lube that was already in there, turning it into the same consistency of lube.

Taken from wd40.com

Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture induced short circuits.
Cleans grime from patio furniture.

Lube does not do that.

When you shot the tailcaps with wd40, it would of broken down the grease/lube that was already in there, turning it into the same consistency of lube.

Like I said previously I just don't know. The 3 lights I had the problem with were the G2, G3, and G2Z. Is it possible that the lube Surefire uses could become hard, or sticky over a long period of time? All of these lights were of the older type and the G2ZL, which is a newer light, had no problems. Is it possible that a quick shot of WD-40 broke down the lube, and made it not quite as sticky? I'm no chemist. I'm just telling my story.:D

SureAddicted

Enlightened
Not only would it have broken down the lube, but it will slowly eat away at it depending on how frequent you use it.
Here's whats in WD-40

70% low aromatic white spirits ( stoddard solvent )
~20% lubricant base grade ( solvent de-waxed, paraffinic type )
<10% of corrosion inhibitor ( some formulations use 2 inhibitors,
normally they would only be present at low concentrations, so
it's possible that the inhibitor could be something crude like
an oil that produces a hard film with synthetic additives )
<5% of wetting agent
<5% of fragrance.

The aerosol versions adds 25% of LPG as propellant to the above
( probably with less of the wetting agent to minimise foam )

My apologies to robrink for going OT.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Most likely, you have a blown bulb straight from the factory. Had that happen with a brand new G2 too. This was a couple of years ago. Bought two. One for me, and one I planned to give as a gift. Thankfully, the one I wanted to keep for myself was the dud. Since then, I open & check every brand new light before gifting it.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some subtle difference between lube and lubricant then?