Convert surefire to RED led?

bigbluetruck

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any info on how i can get a Red LED into a surefire 6P/G2 style light? The filters are cutting mine down too much, I would like to have something that would give about 60 lumens with a red tint, and a beam that spills out like the white light from a factory 6P led. Any ideas?

lightinsky

Enlightened
I was informed that white Led's are not good for using with a red filter like incans are. The best thing to do is find a red led drop in for your G2 or 6P. I don't know where to find one but maybe someone on these forums can telll us where to get a red led drop in P60 style.

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
KD has a cheap Red Cree P60 module now. I overpaid for mine on fleabay for a Luxeon version.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a green KL3 LED from :party:SF It's GREAT on my new G2!!!

Have you considered a red version? I know it's a pricey option, but there's nothing like the glow of a genuine Surefire LED light!

your journey could end here:

http://www.surefire.com/KL3-LED-Conversion-Head

You will not be disappointed!:twothumbs

Last edited:

Oznog

Enlightened
What red do you want here?
There's "red" and "red-orange". RO is standard for brake lights. For the same mfg, style, and power level, RO and red put out about the same mW value but RO is a more visible wavelength and consequently scores more lumens per mW.

bigbluetruck

Newly Enlightened
I would like to have something that put out light similar to the 6PL as far as the beam charactaristics, but it doesn't have to be as bright. I need to actually throw a wide red glow over an area out to about a minimum of 80 yards or so. It wouldn't have to be 100% red but mostly red. Most of the red lights out there are extremly low output for reading maps. I wouldn't mind getting the surefire head, but it looks kind of low output, I would hate to spend the money without knowing if it would work for me or not.
evenchoas- can you explain who/what KD is?
Thanks.