3/4" glass ball lens

cmendoza

Enlightened
3/4\" glass ball lens

Has anyone tried a 3/4" glass ball lens (similar to the Acrylic ball that the Sandwich Shop offers) in a minimag or Brinmann? I was wondering if it would transmit light better than acrylic (and be more scratch resistant).
Thanks

tonyb

Enlightened
Re: 3/4

Its scratch resitant but one drop and it will probably crack it. Believe it or not small scratches don't really effect the flashlight beam all that much. Its basically the shape of the lens that matters most, unless those little scratches really bother you. I would refer to Edmund or Oriel for transmittance charts.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3/4

I have long searched for an economical spherical glass solution.. Large sizes like 3/4 are hard to find and expensive too. I did find one this size through a place that catered to high-power lasers. price was around $50-$60 per sphere if I recall right. I believe expense is directly related to tolerance of the sphere, and all I really cared about was the optical transmission of the glass vs. plastic. Oh well, we'll stumble onto something after we've gave up looking.