The Xmas light you didn't want, but will keep to save the marriage...

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I got an over-priced Coast LED Lenser adjustable beam flashlight from my wife. From what I gather, it is similar or identical to the Hokus Focus, but with 83 lumens. Although I have good experience with one other Coast light, this is not a light I would have bought for myself. It looks like a decent light with lifetime warranty, and I am sure I'll use it, just that I wouldn't have paid $46 for it myself. I put up the good act when I opened it, but I could easily take the receipt, which she gave me, and return it for cash and apply it toward any light I desire.

However, at what price? I don't expect my significant other to know technical details of lights, or to know this may not be worth $46 compared to another one. Say it's worth only half that much in a competitive market. Isn't it worth $23 to keep the light, and have the wife seeing me enjoying the light that she gave me for Christmas, instead of returning it, like gets done with so many other gifts? I should really feel lucky. She quietly "puts up" with my flashlight obsession, and always shakes her head when gazing at all my lights, so I should feel honored she even got me a light, let alone spend nearly $50 on one! I guess if I'm a flashaholic, that wuld make her the codependent enabler. They have forums for that, too!

Anybody else receive a light for Christmas that you would not have considered for yourself, but you'll keep it and use it anyway, just to make the wife happy and proud? If so, what light is it?

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
It depends on the woman. My wife already knows I am picky about these things so she includes gift receipts, and is not the least bit offended. I kind of agree the Lenser "P" series lights are a bit pricey, but they seem like well made lights.

My suggestion would be to return it and get something you like instead.

haley1

Enlightened
Play with it in front of her for the day, then return it. Most people not into lights won't notice the difference later. If she does, well, your on your own then:) Or a lie for the sake of peace, it quit working. So you took it back and they were out of it, so got something else.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
Play with it in front of her for the day, then return it. Most people not into lights won't notice the difference later. If she does, well, your on your own then:) Or a lie for the sake of peace, it quit working. So you took it back and they were out of it, so got something else.

sneaky safe an effective :thumbsup:

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
When I saw the LEDLenser P7 in the stores, I thought 'awesome a P7 light!" but then I saw the 180 lumens underneath and i was like this D:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Not a marriage concern, but still family related. My son got me a Photon Rex that I always thought sounded neat, but I remember all the troubles folks experienced. I've not tried charging it yet, so it may be fine, but it is an old one (packaging has a 2007 date). I showed approval when I opened it up and I meant it. Don't plan to say anything if it screws up. I guess I can always get LRI to fix any problems. I don't think it can go back anyway, since I believe he got it from Woot. Definitely a case where it's the thought that counts.

Geoff

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle;2757546I guess I can always get LRI to fix any problems. [/QUOTE said:
Contact LRI and tell them it has 07 on the package and say your concerns and see if they will swap it.

I myself got this Energizer 2 in 1 from my grandad, was pretty bummed at first (didn't unwrap it until I got home so I didn't have to bluff) but I played with it a little and found it actually had a Nichia GS, so I'm alright now with it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll give the Rex a fair shot since I think I like the older DS Nichia's tint better anyway. I think the newest ones use the GS and I know about their tint in my E01.

Geoff

naked2

Enlightened
I got one that I wouldn't even THINK of returning. It's branded Victorinox, made by a company (named in the fine print on the instruction sheet) called "Emissive Energy Corp.", who I've never heard of. It's a "2 Watt LED" 2xAAA twisty, silver aluminum body w/ red rubber grip and a "Swiss Army Shield" medallion on the head.

Although I wouldn't have paid $40 for it myself, I did try to show some enthusium when I opened it, because it might be the last gift my soon to be 83 year old mother ever gives me!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got one that I wouldn't even THINK of returning. It's branded Victorinox, made by a company (named in the fine print on the instruction sheet) called "Emissive Energy Corp.", who I've never heard of.

It's Inova.

cruisemissile

Enlightened
my wife almost got me a Coast LED lenser . she figured the $40 price tag, and coming from Lowe's, might indicate it was something I wanted.
I got wind of it and talked her out of it.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
Act like there's something wrong with it, return it and have her help you pick out something you would like better. Otherwise act like you love it and don't say anything. They remember everything.:grin2:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't it worth $23 to keep the light, and have the wife seeing me enjoying the light that she gave me for Christmas, instead of returning it, like gets done with so many other gifts?
No. Gifts are supposed to be enjoyed. If you don't enjoy your gift you should exchange it for one you enjoy, and your SO should be happier for you.
I do not understand people who don't see it this way, and get offended if you exchange it. So they made a mistake in choosing the present... big deal. The happiness of the receiver is more important than the pride of the giver, IMO.

Anybody else receive a light for Christmas that you would not have considered for yourself, but you'll keep it and use it anyway, just to make the wife happy and proud? If so, what light is it?
Nope. Luckily everyone important I know knows that giving me a light as a present wouldn't be very smart unless I chose the light myself, so they stick with things I don't obsess about. :p

Wo Show

Newly Enlightened
I've been in situations with my wife a few times with presents that she has given me that aren't really what I wanted. I've found its best to keep them, especially a low dollar item like the $46 light. Use it once in a while in front of her so she feels goods. Its not worth a fight or making here feel bad. Remember she meant well, and it was a gift.

Before the next gift giving occasion just left her know before hand not to buy you anything for any of your hobbies that she isn't sure about. You wouldn't want her to buy something you already have :) It always works for me.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gifts are supposed to be enjoyed. I do not understand people who don't see it this way, and get offended if you exchange it.

I can see your angle. I guess I should not have stated, "...to save the marriage" in the title, but rather, "... to make her feel warm and fuzzy." It's not that she would be offended, or even that I wouldn't enjoy the light. In the grand scheme of things, adjustable beam flashlights are rare as hens teeth. It seems decent enough, and although it may not be the "perfect" light, I certainly have more than enough other lights. I picked all those myself, some I deemed "perfect," and even a few of those have turned out to be downers in the end. I can exchange the Coast for the "perfect" light, or a "better" light, and tire of it later anyway, so would I be on higher or lower ground in the end having exchanged her gift?

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see your angle. I guess I should not have stated, "...to save the marriage" in the title, but rather, "... to make her feel warm and fuzzy." It's not that she would be offended, or even that I wouldn't enjoy the light. In the grand scheme of things, adjustable beam flashlights are rare as hens teeth. It seems decent enough, and although it may not be the "perfect" light, I certainly have more than enough other lights. I picked all those myself, some I deemed "perfect," and even a few of those have turned out to be downers in the end. I can exchange the Coast for the "perfect" light, or a "better" light, and tire of it later anyway, so would I be on higher or lower ground in the end having exchanged her gift?
You could. Or you could like the new one better. Since you opened this thread it's obvious you're not happy with your original present and would want something better, so my point still stands :)