Fenix LD10... Love it!

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
So for Xmas my parents got me the fenix ld10. from looking at it, it looked kind of long(compared to my ex10). But when I held it, it is really thin ans you don't even realize how long it is because it's(in my opinion) the perfect length for an EDC light. Also, I love the beam. It's got a lot of spill and a really nice hot spot! I think it might have something to do with the parabolic reflector... but it's possible that I am just in "new light!" mode:eek:. But I've been dying for a light that takes one AA and this one is by far my favorite EDC light that I have!!! Oh, and another thing... the low mode("9 lumens") is perfect for almost any close range task! And it lasts 34 hours?!?!?! too good to be true! 15Hz strobe is pretty cool too!

this is just kind of a descussion starter for this light...

Happy Holidays!!!!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good light choice, Bob. I see my Fenix lights as kind of the work-horses of the collection. Never had one fail. And, you can always get a CR123 body and tailcap for it sometime in the future.

Geoff

Southernlight

Enlightened
Bob, the LD10 was the first quality light I have bought since my Inova X1 and I was real pleased with it too. Its not a tiny light but the included belt pouch is welcome and the LD10 handles well in the hand size wise IMHO.

Like you I also have a EX10. :naughty:

Good choice the LD10 :twothumbs

Tim

jblackwood

Enlightened
I got an LD20 for xmas. Just for comparison, I got (in this order) a Mag 3D (years ago), a Husky 2D, Taskforce 2C (Cree, of course, not Luxeon), rebadged Fenix L1T (it was packaged in that Leatherman set from Costco), Nitecore D10 (OSRAM GDP and Q5), Dereelight CL1H v.4 and DBS v.2, lastly the LD20.

I love the LD20. My DBS is by far the better thrower, I like the low on my D10 GDP, the LD20, though, is the nicest fit in my hand and I love having that much power from a light that's not powered by C, D, or 18650 batteries.

I wonder why there aren't more reviews for these two lights? Is it because they're so new? My better half HATES the strobe function, don't tell her I love it! :naughty:

1996alnl

Enlightened
I think the LDx0 lights are under rated.
I use rechargable eneloops in my LD10 (with L2D body) and i get 65 min of beutifuly regulated light on turbo.

Never was a fan of AA lights but i bought the LD10 on impulse and a L2D body and switch for $20.
I think the reason i bought it was to have a light that excepts batteries that you can find anywhere,just in case.
Couldn't be happier with this light.
Amazing beam,no artifacts at all.

brucered

Newly Enlightened
i also got the LD20 for xmas this year. it is my 1st fenix.

i absolutely love it and i like playing around with the strobe/sos mode's too.

which extra bodies can i use with this one to transform it to other sizes. i'm assuming i can use a single AA body, but which one and is there any others i can use with it?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... I wonder why there aren't more reviews for these two lights? Is it because they're so new? My better half HATES the strobe function, don't tell her I love it! :naughty:

That might be part of it... but also they are really pretty minor upgrades to the L1D and L2D which in Flashlight history are now ancient. The majority of people here probably already have 1, or several, of the previous generation.

The L2D is still the standard/reference for a 2AA light, because it has great output and the best runtime (sometimes by a wide margin). Fenix still does not have any competition when it comes to efficient AA based lights, I'm not sure why. The LD20 and LD10 may take over the Reference positions once a few of the well known reviews start including them; it's bound to happen.

These lights lack some of the sex appeal of the other lights, but they are great tools. With Leatherman branded lights, and Fenix brand starting to show up in some retail stores you can expect a lot of interest in these. They are very solid lights and are yet to be discovered by the general population. Lookout 2009 could be a big year for Fenix if their retail strategy works.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on your new LD10.

I like my L1D. The main shortcoming I find in it is that there's not much difference in the high and the turbo levels, unlike on the LD20 and P2D, which have a significant difference between the high and turbo.

We just got the LD20 in the mail today and I really like having the knurling on it to enhance the grip. My L1D and P2D are more slippery than I'd like - I guess I got smooth finish instead of satin. My original L1Ps didn't have a problem with slipperiness.

My wife is very pleased with her first impressions of the LD20, which will be her light to keep in her car. She likes it even better after I added a GITD O ring and GITD lanyard. I just may have to get a second one for my car. The turbo will really reach out and touch someone - or something and the run times lithiums are better than the P2D. Of course, the P2D only uses one battery and the LD20 uses two.

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
Yeah there really isn't too much of a difference between the high and turbo. but I hardly ever use the turbo anyways. usually just to show off the strobe. but I'm also going to this light from the tk11 which obviously has a crazy difference.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah there really isn't too much of a difference between the high and turbo. but I hardly ever use the turbo anyways. usually just to show off the strobe. but I'm also going to this light from the tk11 which obviously has a crazy difference.

I like both na L1D and L2D and as I have the PD20 and PD30 I think I know about the design of the LD10 at least, should be comparable to the PD30. The Beam is indeed smoother with the new reflectors, the hotspot tighter. I would like to have an Op reflector on my PD20 though. I could have gotten one for the L2D once upon a time, but it was my first light I bought after the Surefires, those have OP, so I chose the SMO for the L2D...

The lights are indeed all nice, there's none of them I don't like, I even have he P1D which is just great for EDC! :D

Normally, you don't need the turbo. I use it atday, when I'm searching fr something in an old wal or under rocks eg. In such cases, the more light you have, the better it is, your eyes are adapted to daylight or even sunshine! By night, medium or high is enough for most operations and it saves much battery power.