Is this a little crazy?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, leaving with the family tomorrow morning for the caribbean and spent a good hour thinking about what lights to bring and fiddling around in my flashlight boxes...

Realistically, I don't think I'll really use them too much at all - maybe a walk at night on the beach, but, I'm still bringing five:

Surefire C2 with an M60W
Surefire E1B
Surefire E2L
Ra Twisty 85-TR
Arc-AAA on my keys
SC2 loaded up

I was very very tempted to bring my new leef 2x18500 with an M30 just so I could run AAs if I absolutely needed to - at that point I realized I was acting a little absurd, so, the leef and M30 stay...

If this was a road trip where I didnt have to worry about carrying all my lights carry-on - I think I would have brought five more :D

Anyway, can't wait for the look on the faces of the carry-on screeners :rolleyes:

Anybody else spent rediculous amounts of time deciding what lights to bring on trips when you can't bring em all?

Happy Holidays

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Hell yeah!

I once took them all because it was taking too much time to decide. :ohgeez:
Your 5 are great choices.

Enjoy your trip buddy and stay safe!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Deciding what lights to bring is one of the toughest things about getting ready for a trip. Definitely easier for a road trip. Just bring a whole bag full. :laughing:

Geoff

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
heading to bali next year and already started thinking what lights to bring along, have decided to go minimal:-

Fenix E01 with a pack of energizer lithiums
Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST with a spare 18650
Jetbeam Jet II Pro IBS and 2 spare RCR 3.6v protected 16340s
WF-139 charger (the charging cable fits my Olympus 790SW)

All of them water resistant/proof so now worries about ingress of water.

naked2

Enlightened
If I go minimalist (like backpacking) I try to take lights with interchangeable cells. Last pack trip I took for EDC my NiteCore EX10, Zebra H30 for the head, and Tiablo A9 for distance. All three are also pretty lightweight, if not lightest, for their class. My SteriPen water purifier also takes CR123As, which is all I use when away from AC power for recharging. Now if someone only made a two-way radio that takes CR123As, I wouldn't have to carry spare AAAs

Have fun on holiday, Mon!

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've made attempts to go minimal, then at the last moment I'll go back a jam a couple more lights in my pocket before heading out the door. Really not too different than little kids loading up their stuffed animals. :laughing:

Geoff

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a bunch of lights (4 or 5) with me on my last trip, but I only used the Nitecore Extreme and EX10. The lights most readily accessible to me.

VillageIdiot

Newly Enlightened
I don't see myself using more than two lights... Really you guys. Bring one small light that runs on common batteries and one 2xCR123 or 1x18650 and that should be all you need.

elmejor

Newly Enlightened
Well, leaving with the family tomorrow morning for the caribbean and spent a good hour thinking about what lights to bring and fiddling around in my flashlight boxes...

Realistically, I don't think I'll really use them too much at all - maybe a walk at night on the beach, but, I'm still bringing five:

Surefire C2 with an M60W
Surefire E1B
Surefire E2L
Ra Twisty 85-TR
Arc-AAA on my keys
SC2 loaded up

I was very very tempted to bring my new leef 2x18500 with an M30 just so I could run AAs if I absolutely needed to - at that point I realized I was acting a little absurd, so, the leef and M30 stay...

If this was a road trip where I didnt have to worry about carrying all my lights carry-on - I think I would have brought five more :D

Anyway, can't wait for the look on the faces of the carry-on screeners :rolleyes:

Anybody else spent rediculous amounts of time deciding what lights to bring on trips when you can't bring em all?

Happy Holidays
happy holidays to you also! well, there is nothing wrong with that i usually spend a lot of time on deciding about it

Snow

Enlightened
IMHO the E1B and E2L are redundant with the other lights you have. I would take the following:

1 1xCR123A light
1 2xCR123A light
1 light that takes AA or AAA
Spares carrier

Of course, I usually take more than that, but I never use them all, so I find myself trying to take a more minimalist approach.

Arkrokon

Newly Enlightened
We go to St. Martin a couple of times / year and have found that a DBS and Sidewinder are the most useful to us. The DBS is handy for checking out the more isolated areas of beaches and roads before walking into something unexpected. The sidewinder LED's are good to turn max and hold facing backward on narrow roads as in Grand Case since pedestrians and traffic share the same space.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have a tough time deciding what lights I am going to bring with me.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see myself using more than two lights... Really you guys. Bring one small light that runs on common batteries and one 2xCR123 or 1x18650 and that should be all you need.

True. But since when was this forum about only getting stuff you need? :D

a year ago it was so easy.... which torch? Stock mag 2xAA, duh. 10 months ago? L2D, duh.

Now? Not the foggiest... The TK11 to carry at night, the TF 2C as a beater/loaner light, the L2D for long runtimes, the D10 as an EDC......... :whistle:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all.

Well we are back after a wonderful vacation!

Really enjoyed reading all these responses and I take comfort that I'm not alone (although I never really thought I was :rolleyes:).

Wound up grabbing another light out the door - a 6P with a M60WL :naughty:

The lights came in very very handy! They were great for walking the beach at night and I used them rather frequently. Also, I never thought about it but since I had so many lights, I was able to lend them out to a few people we met along with everyone in the fam.

I used my M60W and E2L the most by far and it was a good thing because after dark out came the tarantulas that loved to warm themselves up on the stone tile paths connecting the different parts of the resort. They were some really really big ones - the biggest was a easily 3 inches bigger than my hand from tip of leg to tip of leg (pic below) - it actually got to the point where my wife REFUSED to walk without a light on (she got the E1B which, contrary to what a lot say, definitely provides enough spill to walk a path by on low) - which, needless to say, made my day :twothumbs

Here are some pics (lit by an M60W):

IMG_0897.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

On a last note, as I know this Q comes up a lot: I had absolutely ZERO problems with any of the airport security (went through LGA, Miami and Dominican) carrying on all these lights and a full spares carrier.

I'm already looking forward to our next trip and packing :D

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!

-Harry

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Happy Holidays

I have gone through the screeners with 4 FENIX lights and a dozen lithium AA and CR123 batteries, no problems.