SUREFIRE HELP! Z2L E1Backup G2ZL G2L

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
Planning to get a new Surefire, however having trouble deciding which one.

Looking for a EDC flashlight, carry in pocket. needs to be durable+tough (can stand any conditions hot & cold and abuse), smaller is a plus if possible, and gripping is i don't know which is more comfortable Z series, E1 or G2

considering:
Z2L
E1Backup
G2ZL
G2L

Thanks

Toaster

Enlightened
Well E1B is smallest of those choices so easiest for pocket carry. LA Police Gear has them on sale for $100 if you act quick. BTW :welcome:

USM0083

Enlightened
Well E1B is smallest of those choices so easiest for pocket carry. LA Police Gear has them on sale for $100 if you act quick. BTW :welcome:

D*!m you!! I wasn't planning on buying anymore lights till next year! $99.99 is too good to pass up.

seale_navy

Enlightened
well i would recommend the G2L or the E1B..

G2L has a 3-4 hours of regulated runtime whilst the E1B has 1.3 hours of regulated runtime...

I believe this 2 are the smallest amongst ur choice. But if u want it in ur pocket comfortably E1B is ur answer..

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aight,

The Z2L and the G2ZL are basically the same light - one metal, the other plastic. Not exactly casual carry, but not horribly awkward either. The shape, however, is designed for tactical use and may be a little inconvenient for casual use.

The E1Backup is a one cell light - very small and easily carried in the pocket.

The G2L and 6PL are two-cell lights, the first polymer and the second metal. Smooth, even body - resembles a conventional light for all practical purposes.

Basically, you probably want the E1Backup - easily carried in an icepick grip, although your preferences may vary. You also get the added benefit of two run modes which makes the light more practical for EDC applications.

Just my two bits.

-Trevor

Moka

Enlightened
For an EDC, in pocket it'd have to be an E1B, the lack of knurling and grip doesn't fuss me, if you use it with bare hands not so much of a problem, if gloves you may need to consider something else...
Other than that the output is way understated on the SF site as is the runtime for mine, YMMV
I can't recommend this light higher... Brilliant it is!:twothumbs
& @ 99.99, thats awesome! Impossible to pass up...:poke:

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
The Z is really only useful if you're a genuine shooter - otherwise it has no distinct value over a 6P, or indeed a G series.

The G is ok, but again it's only a plastic 6P. It's ok if you're planning to put it on a belt holster, but it is too big for a pocket.

E1b is the right size, but if I may throw a spanner in the works, I think there are better choices. Going incan, the E1e is a beautiful light, and for LED, I have to go with the E1L. It's switched opposite to the E1b in that the low comes on first - and except for the lack of a reversible clip - I think it's a superior light.

If you want two cells, go E2e. It's such a beautiful piece of engineering, it just grows on you.

ugrey

Enlightened
I would not get a plastic light with an LED in it. Aluminum handles the heat much better. Get an E1B or an L1. If you want a small 2 battery light, do what I did, get an E body and tailcap, and put a KX2C head on it. 120 lumens with great throw. Those 3 lights will fit in your pocket much easier than a bigger P/C bodied light.

Last edited:

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
To the OP,

First off, :welcome:

I just recieved a Z2 and a Malkoff M60 LED drop-in module. This combination is simply amazes me! The Malkoff LED is head, shoulders, and elbows above the stock Surefire LED module. It both out-throws AND out-floods the Surefire LED.

Have a look at www.malkoffdevices.com

As to which light to pick, I suggest you handle them before you buy. You may find that the Z2 provides a better grip, or may find that the rubber rings annoy you (in which case the G2 or 6P would be better). The E1B is very smooth--you may like it, ya may not. It's sort of like pistol shopping; Rule #1 is to always handle before buying.

-------------------------

The Z2L and the G2ZL are basically the same light - one metal, the other plastic. Not exactly casual carry, but not horribly awkward either. The shape, however, is designed for tactical use and may be a little inconvenient for casual use.
Without sounding disagreable, I think the Z2 provides a superior grip to the 6P. The reduced diameter of the combat grip section locks the light into ones hand. The Z2, if I'm not mistaken, is also a bit lighter, due to the reduced diameter of the combat grip section.

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses everyone.

we just to make you guys a bit more clear of my condition here:

currently most of the time im in -20 degrees condition therefore I wear gloves quite a bit or else i don't think i will be typing right now:ironic:

at the same time I want a light that is around @ least 60~80 lumens to be bright enough, if there is a chance the light i choose got a low & high setting of course that will be a bonus for me.

but basically I really want to carry this light EVERYWHERE so I want this to be a tough, long lasting and handy piece.

I EDC a 6PL, 6PL Defender & an incan E2e (Im sorry I need @ least 3 lights to keep my comfort level stable
sssh.gif
) but lately I gave away my 6PL to one of my friend so I want to replace it

The reason I chose my targets are:
E1B: small, aluminum body (personally like the feel of it), 2 settings, however short runtime for high settings and I'm also concern how will it perform with gloves

Z2L/G2ZL: lighter than 6P (both models), tried rogers technique on 6P but never mastered it (sorry I dont carry a gun EDC, but the design might be useful if I do or I'm wondering/assuming will have a firmer icepick grip (no evidence @ all, totally assuming based on the design of it), other than that just a replacement of my old 6PL

G2: same thing just replacing my 6P, plastic body so lighter, many ppl around here say the plastic body for LED is not the desirable choice

so to sum it all up I'm worried about 1) the LED plastic body issue 2) you guys think is it really worth paying a few buck extra for Z series

oh 1 more thing: one issue i don't really like even though its not irritating my is the patterns on my old 6P does damage to my old EDC equipment which is solved if I choose E1B / G series however I don't know if the cost & gain ratio from switching from metal to plastic is worth it (as I said I did EDC all my stuff by using both pockets, but still like to have them all together).

& please do tell me what you guys would do or any other suggestions

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
and sorry I know I'm being really picky, but this is going to be my EDC which I mean EDC 24/7/365 even most of the time I sleep, (yes i'm a bit obsessed... just a bit) so I want this to be the perfect batt lasting abuseable tough illumination:)

seale_navy

Enlightened
i have the E1B .. if u are thinking of using it with gloves it will be very slippery to hold the E1B though, and when u press the clickie ... for me im just afraid the light will slide out of my hand and fall onto the ground...

so if u wanna use E1B with gloves... put a surefire e2dl tailcap on it though..

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
SimpleIsGood - no hard feelings. Some people like the different feel, some don't. I love my C2, but not everyone will feel as comfortable with the "odd" body contours.

OP - if you are routinely wearing gloves and the temperature is that freaking cold, odds are you'll be wearing a jacket with large pockets. A larger flashlight will be easier to find and use with gloves than a smaller one.

Based on that, I'd suggest the G2 - you didn't mention run time or throw/spill, so I'd also recommend a Malkoff M60LL drop-in. You get the same lumen output as a SF P60L, but with a solid 8 hour run time.

-Trevor

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
thanks, I think I'm going down to stores to try out E1B today.

btw do you guys think E2DL will be a better choice than E1B?:thinking:

warpdrive

Enlightened
I just got a E2DL and I'm liking it a lot.

Some thoughts:

It's a much longer light than E1B and the teeth are going to kill any gadget or pocket it comes into contact with. Not very friendly for pocket carry IMO. The tailcap design with the switch surrounded by metal makes the button much harder to activate. I'm not sure I could press it reliably with gloves on.

I think the E1B is a tad slippery though, it's soooo small that I always feel like it's going to slip out of my hands, but I love the size for everyday carry. It really is a backup flashlight in that sense, not great for primary heavy duty use.

seale_navy

Enlightened
is the E2DL brightness significantly more than the E1B though?

for the teeths on the E2DL, how do u carry them around, in a holdster? wont the holdster on the surefire v91 cause the crenallated bezel especially the flap its rough and hard cause wear and tear to the teeths?

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
is the E2DL brightness significantly more than the E1B though?

for the teeths on the E2DL, how do u carry them around, in a holdster? wont the holdster on the surefire v91 cause the crenallated bezel especially the flap its rough and hard cause wear and tear to the teeths?

I just got a E2DL and I'm liking it a lot.

Some thoughts:

It's a much longer light than E1B and the teeth are going to kill any gadget or pocket it comes into contact with. Not very friendly for pocket carry IMO. The tailcap design with the switch surrounded by metal makes the button much harder to activate. I'm not sure I could press it reliably with gloves on.

I think the E1B is a tad slippery though, it's soooo small that I always feel like it's going to slip out of my hands, but I love the size for everyday carry. It really is a backup flashlight in that sense, not great for primary heavy duty use.

I used to carry my EDCs in my pocket, however one thing i can think of if I carry E2D is getting a beam cover so the teeth wont kill my clothings, any other/better suggestions??

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it was a short run sale because I vaguely remember seeing them listed for $100 just before Christmas.

-Trevor

Adeon

Newly Enlightened
oh, do anyone know if the surefire filters fit on the defender bezels?