EDC recomendations

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
Well, I have been looking for an EDC improvement over my Surefire G2. Can you suggest something?

Musts:
- >100 lumen output in burst/max mode.
- < 10 lumen low beam
- Anti-roll
- Knurling or some other antislip grip
- CR123Ax1 battery for powerful output or AAx1 for commonality
- Ideally, this would be a $35 light, but I would go to $60 or so, if it offered a lot of improvement over like a Lumapower LM33.

Wants:
-Clip, but Lanyard would be ok.
-Beam which can be flood or spot. Beam patterns which do both like the Surefire G2 are ok, as long as the hot spot doesn't overpower the flood. Ideally, it would be nice to have this kind of beam with a slip on beam diffuser.

Chewy

Newly Enlightened
I think the LF3XT or EX10 would both fit, but a better flashaholic will be along soon.

m16a

Enlightened
I would highly suggest a Nitecore D10 (1AA) or Nitecore EX10 (1CR123A). They meet all of your requirements (except anti-roll, but with clip or lanyard, it effectively becomes anti-roll) and are highly reliable lights. The high is 130 lumens, the low is about 1 lumen (although selfbuilt measured it around half a lumen when compared to his Novatac 120P), aggresive knurling (its one of the grippiest lights I've seen), and you have your choice of CR123A or AA batteries. The D10 (AA) is longer and thinner, which I think is better because of gripping in the hand. The EX10 (CR123A) is smaller and fatter (and I cannot comment on it as much since I own a D10). The light has a good hotspot, with decent throw, and a nice, usable spill. Either light is $54 shipped from 4sevens.com when you use the CPF8 code to get 8% off. If you do get the D10, I would reccommend purchasing a 14500 lithium ion battery, but if you do not want to get into another battery type, stick with the EX10. Note, these lights come from the factory with a very gooey blue lube, it is often overapplied, and will sometimes make the light sticky to operate. This is easily remedied by cleaning the lube off, and lubing it yourself with a less goo like lube.

Nitecore D10

Nitecore EX10

Selfbuilt's review of the D10 and EX10, including runtime graphs and beamshots

Good luck on the purchase!

M16a

D-Dog

Enlightened
Very true on the lube issue, although I would recommend one for use with electrically-conductive threads such as NyoGel 759G. I would also go for the EX10 and then use one of AW's RCR's in it. This is my personal preference as I find shorter but slightly wider lights easier to pocket. Both models have been carried estensively by many members and many great things have been said about the piston drive system. It's actually quite cool :)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a mint EX10 you can have for $45 shipped.

nksmfamjp

Newly Enlightened
The piston drive system looks good. I do like the ability for a momentary on, click on or an infinately adjustable lo to hi. I just wish the EX10 had a clip!

How much better is this compared to like a Lumapower LM33? or one of the Olight T10-Q5? or maybe a Fenix P2D?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'll be the first to recommend a Fenix LD10/PD20(they are a bit above your price range, below if you use the "CPF8" coupon). Buy one and the body + tailcap of the other(that bumps it to above your price range). The both, along with the LD20, use the same circuit board, which means that the batteries are interchangeable, you just need the right body.

As for LM33 vs Olight T10/P2D, numbers:
(I'm using LM31 with Li-ion battery numbers, should be similar to the LM33)
LM31 with 14500 battery, 1040 lux at 1 meter for 1 hour 10 minuutes.
T10, 3460 lux at 1 meter for around 50 minutes
P2D-Rebel 100(should have similar numbers to the Q5 version), 2930 lux at 1 meter for an hour and 20 minutes

Numbers from Light Reviews.

:welcome:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Nitecore Defender Infinity is an AA option to consider.

clintb

Enlightened
Looks like 9volt is going to hook me up with a great light! Thanks! Can't wait to see it.
You'll really like the EX10. Although the one I have isn't usually what's EDC'd, it's one that never fails to please when I do go for it. Because of the reliability, and how inexpensive they are, my EX10 is the "go to" light for general around the house type of work (read: don't care if it gets banged up).

You'll like it.