Whats a good floody light?

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
I have several compact tactical flashlights but the fact that I need a wide angle floodlight was recently brought to my attention. I was helping put together a trampoline for a friend's kids in my friend's unlit backyard. My tactical lights were unnecessarily powerful and cumbersome to hold while working. I'm looking for a somewhat bulky incandescent(either D cells or rechargable) that can be set down on something to light up a work area. Any suggestions?

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
All lanterns I've seen appear to fragile for my purposes. I want to be able to keep it in my car and not worry about it breaking. That's the reason I'm looking for a flashlight.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Just some random thoughts...

-You might want to consider a beam diffuser for one of your existing lights.
-Zebralight headlamp will tail stand when removed from the headband.
-Most of the DX SSC P7 lights are very floody, and some will tail stand. If you get one with a low mode it will allow you to run it without having to worry about emitter temperatures.
-How about a camping lantern?

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
What I'm looking for is something kinda like the Streamlight Vulcan. At least in design. From what I've read about it tho, it would seem it's more of a spotlight. Does anyone know of a light with a similiar design that's a floody light?

DaveG

Enlightened
Inova X-5,just not super bright,runs on 123 cells long run time and long storage till needed,built like a tank.

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
Funny you should say the X-5, because I had one with me that night. It is a nice light and was perfect for lighting up the immediate work area without being blinding, unlike the tactical lights I had. I held it in my teeth while using both hands which was cumbersome. I'm looking for something I could just set down on something with the light facing the work area to light up that area. Similar to the streamlight Vulcan, except more floody

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
I just finished admiring the Pelican 9430 about an hour ago, but it is not in my budget. My budget is $100 or less. Any poor man's versions of the 9430 out there?

GreySave

Enlightened
The Streamlight LightBox can be had in a flood beam instead of a spot beam. Might require an accessory kit (bulb and / or reflector) and is over your budget a bit but would fill the need. It is similar in form and function to the Vulcan and can even be had with a vehicle mount charging cradle. It is also a FireFighter favorite so it is tough. Perhaps you can save the cash over a bit of time and get what really fits your need rather than compromising now?

Check it at BrightGuy

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at the Streamlight LED "Survivor".
I think you'll like the right-angle design for your application.
If you want to keep it protected, keep in a foam-lined Pelican 1150 case with the DC charger.

Dr James Fox

Newly Enlightened
The Litebox seems perfect. Apparently I didn't study the Streamlight flashlights closely enough the first time around since I missed it. I plan on getting both 8 and 20 watt bulbs plus the floody reflector.

1996alnl

Enlightened
I was going to recommend the Surefire L4 or the E2DL with the F04 beam shaper (two lights in one) until i saw your budget.